3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tite Platinum - Revisited  (Read 470 times)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tite Platinum - Revisited
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I still do my alum shafts the old way, scrub with comet cleanser and hot water. Dry with paper towels. I do this for bare shaft fletching and cap dipping. I have not had any issues with the new fletch tite yet. This works for both feathers and vanes. On bare carbons I use fletch Laq thinner to clean. So far no fall offs.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
I quit using the %$#! stuff and went to tape. My problem is I had a few dozen arrows all glued up before I realized the %$#! stuff was no good. Every time I go to a 3-D or my practice range I have feathers falling off. I cuss a bit then repair with tape.

My buddy is the dealer who sold me the %$#! stuff, we all give him the raspberries when one of our feathers falls off at a shoot.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Its only $5 a tube, so I just get a new tube every 6 months. No worries. Worth it to me

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Try the Saunders in a tube.works better for me than the platinum.was really disappointed with the platinum and quit using it.the old fletch title always worked in the white tube.
see

Offline rcoffelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
Ajax and scotch brite pad to prep arrow shaft with fast fletch never had issues with fletches falling off
Black Widow PSA 58" 65# @28"
Robertson Puriust 64" 75# @ 28"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
Fletch-Tite Platinum is the only glue I use for both wood and carbon (Bemans). I've had exactly zero problems with it, and I have no reason to change.

I used fletching tape a couple times just to see what all the hub-bub was about. Suffice to say I returned to FT glue and never looked back.

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
i use acetone an paper towel i have had bad luck with both glue an tape..tape only in cold weather i shoot something hard an it looks like you shot a duck with a shotgun feathers everywhere.     :dunno:

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
We use platinum by the pint and go through quite a lot. The secret is to not use it on anything that comes from Easton or Beman unless you take special precautions.

Gold tip really requires no prep, but we wipe with denatured alcohol anyway. As far as we know, we have only ever had one problem with platinum on gold tips and I believe it is from an old tube of platinum. We  had left the cap off our bottle and it hardened over the weekend so in haste we used a tube that had been opend and used then set aside for months.

Carbon Express requires that you wipe with denatured alcohol to clean off the release agent left on the shafts from manufacturing. Then fletch away.

Easton and Beman have a coating on there shafts that won't accept glue unless you scuff them first. Even after that, results are mixed. They sell there own type of glue called quick bond. I don't know what the difference is, but we have tried all the other cyanoacrilic glues, but Quick Bond is the ony one that would adhere to the easton shafts.

Safest bet is to clean shafts, install wraps and fletch. No more problems.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
big Jim..
          great information..i thank you i have been useing nothing but wraps on my arrow for awhile now with no issues..
          I just don't understand why my feathers wont stay on tape in cold weather? feathers are coming off the tape not the tape off the shaft.any body had this issue?

Offline pitt98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
I have used it on dozens and dozens of aluminums (all Easton) and carbons (CX) and have never had a problem.  

More recently, for no reason at all, I decided to see what Fletch tape was all about, and let's just say, I'll never use glue again...  I do use my remaining duco and fletch tite to dab the top and bottoms of the feathers that are flethced with tape though.
Damon Howatt Super Diablo 54# @28
BW PSA 60" 51# @28
RER Arroyo 58" 60# @28
Kwyk Styk 54" 54#@28
Eaglewing Talon 11 62" 53# @28
Zipper Nitro 60" 47#@28
Allegheny Mt longbow 60" 40#@28

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
I use NPV glue....works great ; it is the same glue used by a local archery supplier that fletches thousands of arrows a year....arrows with a glossy finish need roughed up a bit to remove the gloss...Beman ICS shafts especially

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
I spray my shafts with BullDog adhesive promoter and never have a problem, reguadless of what glue I use. Goes on clear and dries clear in just a few min. Check it out, you won't be dissapointed
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
I use acetone on aluminum and alcohol on carbon. I like to hear "squeaky" clean. I wipe with a clean dry rag afterwords. I never have a problem.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
always use onestringer wraps on my carbon and aluminum, and the platinum works great with those.  When I used to fletch bare (without wraps) I used goat tuff.  (pretty sure it's just superglue) and it worked really well and dried in seconds.
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Saunders NPV always worked well for me. I had no problems with my last tube of Platinum though.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
I liked the goat tuff as well. All of my problems are with the aluminum without wraps and I used acetone last time wiped off and used a brand new tube of platinum. No luck. I used the locktight and ran a bead down the fletchings that were still on the arrows and so far it has kept them in place. But no more saunders, fletch tight on aluminums or carbons for me. Lock tight will be used for everything I got in the future wraps or no wraps.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
The only time Platinum worked for me was when the aluminum shafts were cap dipped. On bare shafts Saunders NPV works best for me.

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I started using the Platinum a few years back when the regular fletch tite became nearly impossible to get. It is all I use ans I shoot Gold Tip black shafts. I have never had any issue with fletching not staying put once I glue it on.

Bisch

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I am having real trouble with platinum as well have had several feathers just peel right off during flight. I started use the heat shrink wraps and so far that has solved the problem, however when this tube runs out im going to try the tape.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
I shoot beman shafts. For platinum to work even close to reliably, I had to wet sand the shafts with 600 grit and then acetone wipe. To heck with that. NPV works flawlessly with only a quick alcohol or acetone wipe so that's all I've been using anymore.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©