3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree -Shaker and Twister and my daughters hero" Mike Mitten"  (Read 459 times)

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tree -Shaker and Twister and my daughters hero" Mike Mitten"
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Today is the last day of 2012 and what a wonderful day it was when the mail was delivered today...I went outside to let my two girls blow bubbles and had our oldest named Ande who will turn 7 on Jan.3rd to go check the mail cause it's a Big thing for a kid to do...Well she struggled a bit to pull a box out of the mailbox and said Daddy there is some kind of book thing or something in a box and as she said that my ears and eyes were like the deer in the headlight look...I asked is it from "Mike Mitten"?  She said I don't know there's a sticker with some Big deer or Elk animal thing on it....  :saywhat:  ....  :campfire:  Grab your  :coffee:  This is good......

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree -Shaker and Twister and my daughters hero" Mike Mitten"
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
I got Charlie Lamb's book 10 days before Christmas and put it under the tree to open Christmas Eve.

I felt like you might have when I opened that...

Charlie was in rare form all the way thru...but that one chapter on giant jackrabbit was the best!

I'm envious on the M&M book...I just didn't see that in the budget this time around...

You go boy...save it for the plane ride! Oh, wait...you're going to be drugged up, ain't? LOL
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
Doc,
  I better start this thread up and just to let you know when we were going over to adopt "Kaci" I had taken my book "One with the Wilderness" on the big 14 hour long flight...Well as I would read a few chapters I would lay it down in our Diaper bag that carried some supplys for Ande and well we were eating a snack on the plane and Ande spilled Orange juice onto the diaper bag and got a little on my book ...That was no big deal it wiped right off and I was back to reading again...I didn't learn my lesson the first time leaving it in the diaper bag carry all and 2 hours before we landed the stewartists came by and prepared us for our next meal which was kind of like what we would eat for the next two weeks"NOODLES"...Well Ande loves noodles and ate all of hers and as I was laying back quietly listing to some music on my headset I got a glimps of my wife holding something in her hands..I thought Oh she cought a bird or something by the way she was holding her hands    :coffee:   take a shower and feed the girls and I will continue this story and tell ya what Mike Mitten sent to Ande!

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
You had me at Mike Mitten.  My wife got me "One with the Wilderness" for my 50th back in July.  Loved the book, but I keep coming back to the pic on page 292, where Mike (I am assuming) has TWO (2), count 'em, TWO(!!!) large bucks draped across his back as he is walking away from the camera.  

I strain just draggin' a 70 pound doe out of the woods.  Can't imagine the strength involved in hauling 2 bucks like that (even with all the post-kill adrenaline one might have . .)

Kingsnake

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
:coffee:    :coffee:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
I'm back and as promised I will continue this story...Back in November I wrote a post asking if Mike Mitten has taken any bucks yet and I brought up his two bucks he was blessed to take last year on Nov.4th and 5th which by now most have seen pics of..He named them Tree Shaker and Twister and boy did Mike name them with fitting names once we saw the pics of both...Well my favorite was Tree Shaker for some unknown reason I just am in Awe with that bucks antlers...Well Mike also posted a pic of this same buck in a thread about a month or so ago with Tree Shaker as an 8 point but he has a few kickers but a frame of an 8 point non the less...I wrote Mike a private message about that 8 point and he told me about a book that I may like to read about "Real World Whitetail Icons" ...In Their Own Words compiled by Don Higgins with 12 authors telling about their dreams of hunting ...Well Mike had a few books and told me if I wanted one he would be glad to send me a copy but not in any way trying to sell me a book..Mike just knows we like story's and pictures of Big Whitetails and how we all dream the same dream ...Anyway I wanted one for Christmas to read as my wife and I prepare to fly halfway around the world to adopt a special needs orphaned little girl and this book would help me forget about one of our 14 hour long flights to go and bring her to a "Forever,For Always and No Matter What" home where little Darci will be loved and cared for...Now as I was typeing to Mike about the book "Ande" our oldest came into our office and wanted to know who I was typeing a p.m. to..I told her remember that book you got sick and threw up on when we went to adopt "Kaci"(another special needs little girl we adopted)and Ande said "YES" and I told her where that book was in my nightstand by our bed and she went to retrieve it for me...I told her to open it and look at the two bucks that Mike Mitten let me copy on writing paper to keep in my book...Ande just opened her mouth and blurted the words "WOW" Daddy that's a "BIG BUCK" and so is he (talking about Twister)...
 Well I wrote Mike telling him he had a young fan named Ande who admired his two bucks he was blessed with last year and she was actually reading the opening page's of his book...
 Ande also loves to watch Primal Dreams and Essential Encounters by brothers of the bow...
 As you all know when a kid especially a little girl shows interest in traditional hunting and their Daddy's passion I think you all can relate to how that made me feel...
 Mike returned a P.M. and told me the cost of the book and if I wanted one he would save me a copy and put something special in it for Ande...
 Well as most may or may not know I wanted that book and I wrote Mike asking to hold it for me and at the moment we were trying to save every penny for our third adoption but I would let him know when I could get the book cause our money was needed for bringing home "Darci"...
 The next day Mike sent me a P.m. asking for my address and he wanted to give me the book and he was touched by what we have done with these 3 girls...
 Well I wrote Mike back telling him I do greatly appreciate the offer and just cause the road is a little bumpy right at the moment it will get better and I want to pay for the book...
 Mike agreed to wait and a few days before Christmas I sent him the check and our address to send the book ...
 I was really hoping the book would be here to take on our trip on the 12th of Jan. and if it didn't come then not a problem cause I know Mike is trying to get some hunting/filming time in and that will make another great read someday...
 Now yesterday Dec.31 2012 I am outside letting our two girls blow bubbles and Ande wants to check the mail and she notices a flat box that just does slide in our mailbox and as she pulls it out she trys to figure out what's inside...
 I asked to let me see and of coarse it was from "Mike Mitten" and my heart raced to open it and inside was another bag to open...As we opened the package and saw the beutiful Whitetail Buck staring back at us we both marveled over the picture on the cover of that book...
 We opened the hard cover and written were these words by Mike Mitten himself...

Ande-
 Measure success in proportion to
your effort.Keep your passion for whitetails alive in your heart,and find the respect for all Gods creatures.
Think of the Lord Jesus every time you crack open this book,and God for your blessings.
      God Bless You!!!
      Mike Mitten
      12-25-2012

That isn't the end folks and here's something I never had happened before and I was touched beyond measure of what Mike did for Ande and my eyes were filled with great joy when Mr. Mitten signed 3 pictures that weren't paper copy's like the ones I printed off last year off the computer screen but real photo paper from Mikes favorite drugstore  "Walgreens"...8'X10" glossy pics...
One pic of the biggest Black Bear with Mike and his Tall Tines Recurve...
 One with Tree Shaker and Twister with Mike straining to hold up the Racks...
 And one I really like with just "Treeshaker and Mike" grinning from ear to ear!
  All hand signed by Ande's and Daddy's favorite all time Traditional Bowhunter Mike Mitten.....
   Mike words cann't express just how much this makes me feel and I will frame all those pics you bet ...Now my wife and I are flying alone this time cause we couldn't afford to take the whole family and I will be carrying "Real World Whitetail Icons" to read and pray no one lose's their "Noodles" on this one....
      Thank You Mike and God Bless You Brother,
                        Keefers <")))><

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
I was fortunate to share a camp with Mike when he shot that big black bear.  Mike is an extremely generous guy and a class act!
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Mike is a wonderful man.

Sounds like you and your wife are pretty special people, too!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Congrats great story and great people all the way around   :wavey:    :clapper:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Keith, I can't think of a guy more deserving of such a generous gift!!

Mike, Well done!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Keith,it's people like you that reach out and help change people's lives.God's blessings to you and yours this new year and always.
see

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Spectacular !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Mikes a great guy. No doubt about that

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
Sir,
You have a true friend in Mike and I for one think that you Sir and your wife are truly class acts also. May God bless your wonderful family and please have a "Happy New Year".

Regards,
Grouse

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Whew....

Well, ya old reprobate... if that story didn't make a leak spring up north of my nose holes!    :D  

Very cool story and cooler thing Mike did there for the kiddo!

There was just something onerous about putting a good book in a diaper bag all the way thru reading that so I'm not sure I can muster too much sympathy for the outcome... ya dink!    :laughing:  

Better luck on this trip!!!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Yep, Mike is one of the good guys    :thumbsup:

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone and it brings much joy to my heart knowing people welcome our daughters with open arms here ...Mike is indeed a great guy and I knew that when he responded to my first private message to him...Just like Gene and Barry they both give back so much to us here on Tradgang and hold nothing back by keeping to themselves all the imformation and wisdom these guys share with us daily...Then when one reach's out his hand and does a little something extra by just sending some nice pics of one of Gods creatures like Mike Mitten did for my Daughter and I well it just shows how much good is still in some folks in this world...Mike if you read this you made both Ande's and my day with those pics and I will cherish this forever and Thank You very much...Happy New Year Mike and as always may God Bless Ya!
                                Keefers <")))><

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
Wow what a great story keefers you kinda touched me also mike is a Class act for sure and always spares time for people like us that dream of stuff he does!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©