3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow revelation  (Read 343 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow revelation
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
I was sitting here thinking about arrows and what I prefer to shoot. I am not big into EFOC, it's just not MY thing. I am also not itI super heavy arrows or anything like that. Just a solid 9-10 GPP kinda fella with 125-150 up front. Now with that said I am shooting some 2117 with 175 up front but I did not mean fe it to happen it just did, because I got a good deal on the 2117s. But I digress

I like woodies, but I have had a lot of POC break, and a lot of the carbons are too light without jumping up in spine and them loading up the front end. The Heavy hunter are too pricey for me.  My set up really likes a 2018 but a 2016 SHOULD be perfect I just cannot get them to fly right (user error I'm sure).  So I have settled on aluminums because I can get a good total arrow weight and shoot 125-150 up front...perfect.... But I truly do believe that carbons are a superior shaft (even though I don't shoot them).
So I was looking at spine ratings, and GPI doing some comparisons, oh and price.  And it is my observation from owning and shooting different shafts ( alum, wood and various carbons) that for total value I really do not think CX heritage shafts can be beat. $123 fully fletched 10GPI (150s) are a really solid good affordable shaft. My 2016 at 10.6GPI fully fletched can be as low as $76.99 (Gamegetters) to $120 is for Legacy. I think I might give carbons an honest try once my few doz alums are gone.

I hunt with Ash and western larch shafts, I just like hunting with woodies, but for target and stumping I shoot alums now. This was just some ramble/topic discussion. Happy New Year Y'all
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow revelation
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
good post ive have thought about shooting some aluminums

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
Try Douglas fir if you like wood.  Straighter than cedar and slightly tougher . . . but a bit heavier.  Tapering helps.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
try sitka spruce- super tough- a tad lighter-real straight grained, and save the weight for the tips. sure make really nice shooting arrows.
 each to their own i geuss.
they are all good, as long as yer flingin' em!!

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
I would honestly say the most superior shaft is the one that flies the best for you; no matter what its made out of. I've tortured some wood arrows that would have bent an alluminum and I've broken wood shafts by looking at it wrong. I really think in the end it evens out and it comes down to what you want to shoot.

As far as price the Beman ICS Bowhunters are hard to beat. They're a decent shaft with, I would say, middle of the road gpi and only cost a few bucks more than Ganegetters for a dozen. I wish they were made in .600

I think I just added my rambling to your rambling!
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
I just recently switched to POC because I can make my own stumping arrows for about 5 bucks a piece. They'll do the job for deer and are quiet in my back quiver too.

If I was to head out for moose - I'd bring my Beman MFXs. They are a hard hitting, heavy carbon arrow (but too pricey for losing on a day out stumping)....
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
I kinda like them all... Love hunting deer with wood cause (they) are so quiet... Can't own enough 2016's for 3D and bunny hunting... And carbon arrows, well, shoot great from my BW TFV's... Guess they were made for each other.

I Know I'm Fickle...  :dunno:  Makes it fun.  :rolleyes:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
Have 3 recurves 49#-52# and the Heritage 150's w/ 175gr point seem to work well since they are cut 29 1/2 inches. After shooting up the ones made up will try the full length w/ a 125 to 145 gr. tip. A really tough arrow.Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
I have lots of respect for you guys that shoot all types of shafts and do it well.  Wood is cool, but I could never keep them straight and never got a dozen that weighed the same or were spined close.

Aluminum worked great, but I shoot a lot and got tired of straightening them.  I went to carbons and never looked back.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
I shoot wood mostly. I do have some aluminum, but haven't shot one in several years. For pure consistency, I don't think aluminum can be beat.
I still prefer wood. When you learn how to treat wood arrows, it is very easy to keep them straight, and making them in matched sets gets simple also. It is kinda a love affair, something you want to do and enjoy. Making a good set of woodies is one of my favorite things in the winter.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
What Stumpkiller said
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
i love me some xx75's or ce heritages.  love em!  wanna switch to wood very soon just for the cool factor.  bought my wife some little woodies for her 25# bow couple weeks back on here and they are so cool, just something about woodies that's right.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
i would love to shoot wood, but would hate to have one warp and not notice on a hunting arrow.  I have seen what a slight bend in an aluminium with a bh on it can do to accuracy.  I know I am not dilligent enough to check every time I go out for a hunt.  

My first bow loved 2018's, but I got tired of bending them while stumping, or on 3d.  I went to carbons and settled on cx 150's at 28.5" with 250 up front.  They fly great out of all my bows from 45 to 57#s.  They are a bit heavy (577gr) for my lighter bows and really start to dorp after 15 yards out of my in my 45 and 50# bows, but are great in the heavier bows.  For the lighter bows I like the Beeman ICS hunters .500 spine.  28.5" with 250 gr.up front (544 gr,) for the 45 and 50# bows.  Flat shooting and fast enough.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
I'm mostly shooting Sitka Spruce with my Hill Style bow, but I do have a mess of 2016's that I shoot out of my R/D longbows. Like them both.

I also have some Ash arrows that I put together for moose hunting. I haven't had a chance to try them on a critter yet, but they sure are nice arrows!

I guess I don't do enough stumping, cause I lose more of my aluminums than I bend. Me and aluminums have a long history, so I'm having a hard time giving them up entirely in favor of wood, and I have no reason to try carbons.
Chuck

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
I love building wood arrows, and I do shoot them at events such as Compton, GLLI etc! At 3D events and our indoor winter shoots I usually shoot carbons GT Trads 3555 or CX heritage 150s! I recently had some Ben Pearson 55# Glass flight shafts that I fletched and have been shooting!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
If you like wood and stumping, you should try doug fir.  I've shot woodies since 1999 but didn't switch to doug fir until last year.  I have not been able to break a doug fir in a point-on collision with a tree yet.  I've split shafts from the nock end (aluminum and carbon will do the same thing) and I've broken one or two with a glancing shot where the arrow struck a tree mid-shaft, but in a head-on collision they are great.

I've never had one warp either.

With a 125 grain head mine always come in around 10 gpp.

Offline Stryder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
I'm also really impressed with Doug Fir.  All I've shot over the last 8 months.  Quite a bit of stump shooting and several 3-D courses.  I haven't broke a shaft yet.  IMO, Surewood Fir makes a much tougher arrow than cedar.
R.C. Chandler
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©