3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Limb let go…...  (Read 497 times)

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb let go…...
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Not a fastflite string. It is a dacron string, and I have no idea why the bow suddenly decided to fail. I have shot arrows in excess of 500 grains out of it from day one.

Yes, I have blown up a bunch of bows before, but they were wheel bows. Most of them were destroyed back in the late 80`s or early 90`s when 3-D archery was kinda new and we were all chasing speed. My last wheel bow break was a couple of years ago when I got off an airplane from Africa I went straight to Quebec, got the bow out, loaded an arrow, went to full draw, and while I was aiming the top limb snapped.

Don`t know if I somehow bumped this recurve, but if I did, I have no idea when or how I did it?

The pictures are gone now because I failed to properly size them. I will try to get them sized and put back up.
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor
Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" Hybrid Longbow

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Lets see if my limited URL knowledge pans out . ..

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb151/BIGCOUNTRYOUTDOORS/DSC01648_zps8b933a48.jpg  

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb151/BIGCOUNTRYOUTDOORS/DSC01650.jpg  

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb151/BIGCOUNTRYOUTDOORS/DSC01649.jpg

Ooooo!  They are big.  Looks like it was clamped too hard and squeezed all the epoxy out of the lamination - the glass didn't pull up any wood when it split away.  But that's from a boat builder - not a bow builder.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
Oh wow! I ruined a bow when the nock sheared off on one side, but it sure wasn't THAT dramatic. Now THAT would scare the snot and everything else out of me.

I agree with a bad epoxy joint. The epoxy/wood joint should have been stronger than the wood core itself. I'm not a bowyer, but I've tried to take a few scales off my knives and never could break that joint. Had to grind it right down to bare metal.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dan Adair:

Originally posted by Mitch H:
I was shooting a bow that I do not use often this evening…..in my house, which always starts a conversation with my wife.      :D    

I can relate   :D  

But then I'm single [/b]
:biglaugh:  
That's great!  If I was single I might do that just cause it looks cool.  Great conversation starter!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
:scared:     :eek:    :scared:    "[dntthnk]"

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
The arrow through the wall looks like a made for deer sausage drying rack.......
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »
Love Dan's pic.  :eek:

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »
I forgot I posted this here.

At the time, I had a girlfriend living here.  She was in the dining room, at the table, working on some kind of hippy art thing.  She stood up and walked towards the sink right about the time I hit anchor.

Freaked my **** out, and the string was already heading towards brace.

Then the arrow went through the wall.....

Two weeks later, she put a bookshelf on the exit side of that wall.  With windchimes hanging off the top somehow.  Hippies are great at stacking and hanging things off of other things (next time you see a kayak, bicycle, and Thule rack on a Subaru, look for dreadlocks and Grateful Dead tattoos)  Anyhow, there was about a 5" slot between the windchimes, bookshelf, and if I stood on the far end of the back of the trialer crapper, there was about a 3" slot all the way down the trailer to my block target 20 yards away.

Well, I had a few beers in me on a Saturday, and thought to myself "I can make that shot..."  I hit anchor, heard the front door start to open (seriously in the line of fire) and sure as hell...  SHOT THE WINDCHIMES!!!  Her poor cat Odie jumped 6' in the air and then ran two laps around the front room before he was hunkered down on all 4's hyperventilating, and thanking Jesus that the big spooky monster didn't eat him whole.  Poor kitty never took a nap in the front room ever again.

On a serious note...  I knew that chick was going to cause me problems when she said "You spent 400 BUCKS on LIMBS for your stupid little TOY"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©