3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kids Project Suggestions  (Read 730 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Kids Project Suggestions
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:00 AM »
I am looking for ideas that could be used as a project for kids to work on during the Pre-Spring Arrow Fling in Alabama.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters co-sponsors the event along with Allsouth Archery Association.
Last year we had an arrow building activity during which participants built their own custom designed arrow.  They really seemed to enjoy it, and we could do the same thing again, but I am also looking for other ideas or suggestions.

We would like an activity that might take an hour or two of time to complete.  Age range would likely be 5 - 12 years old.  We will also do a balloon shoot following the workshop portion.

Also, if anyone is planning on attending the event and would like to volunteer to help with the kids activities please let me know.  We would be happy to have you!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids Project Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
Joe, If you had a budget or the resources, perhaps you could build arm guards or quivers?  

Perhaps there's a place where you could buy quiver kits?????? that should allow the process of building to be much faster.  

Its just a thought anyhow. good luck.   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »
We do have a budget to buy supplies, so those are good suggestions Charlie.
Keep em coming!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
There was a vendor next to Steadman at Compton last year that was selling small foam targets.  Possibly purchase from him, and let the kids paint their own target.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Make your own Traditional wool string silencers - YouTube

-
Whip this is an idea I had a while back that would be great for kids with virtually no expense. I even thought the kids could sell them for 50 cents a pair and donate proceeds to the Boy Scouts. Works great with acrylic yarn.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
build PVC bows?

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
I would say get some fish netting (from military surplus store) and some rolls of jute string and have the kids make a ghillie suit (poncho)and have them use natural materials(grasses and such) and they can tie them on in their own patterns. Or you can get some material from a store(Walmart has some) and cut strips of 3 different colors to tie on.

Put a piece of netting and some twine in a brown sandwich bag for each kid.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
One of the kid activities the United Bowhunters of Missouri does quite often is help the children make PVC pipe bows. We have the bow blanks pre-cut and drilled. The kids use markers to color them how they want and then we help them put on the handle and string it. The cost is around $2 a bow; maybe less. The bow will pull 10-15 lbs.

Here is a link to the bow plans:   PVC Pipe Bow Plans

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
Kids that age love to be creative and goofy...emphasis on the goofy.  What they have fun with doesn't need to be functional or to our liking ;-)

I would either do the PVC bows or arrows (again) and have a "best dressed" contest...

They dress up their item of choice (or your choice) by finding items via a scavenger hunt.  The stuff they find is either glued or tied  to the arrow or bow...leaves, grass, pine cones, feathers, nuts, rocks, gum wrappers, paper, etc.  

Sound crazy???  How do you think the first snake skin got glued to a bow?  No adult would think of that :-)

After the artwork is done, judge the items by different categories...e.g. most natural material,  most cleaver item used, most unusual item used etc. but don't judge on beauty...that is in the eye-of-the-beholder and the young artist.

Maybe use some of your money to hand out some small prizes...or maybe the vendors will have small trinkets to give...

I would think the goal is trying to give them something fun to do - for a given period of time.  The item created isn't likely that important part of the effort nor is the prize.

my 2 cents....

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
How about drawing/making Targets, then shooting them up???
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 03:17:00 AM »
TTT
CoilSpring

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
My kids and I made some back quiver that were pretty cool.   We took some thin cardboard that would roll into a round shape easily, and cut it into a trapezoid shape.  We checked it to make sure the shape would be correct , and cut a piece of cloth to the same size, then lined it with duct tape.  Some grommets served as places to put a rope for the shoulder sling. They had a blast and take them to local 3D shoots.  I'll post some pictures shortly.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Those are all great ideas,kids are curious and creative,I'm sure any of these would be a hit,I really like the pvc bows so they have something they can take home and use.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
The UBM is getting ready to make 400 of those PVC bows to give away to kids at the Missouri Deer Classic in March. We're gonna have a shooting booth too so they can try them out.

Darren

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Here's a shot of the duct tape quivers my kids made.  It was a pretty easy project, and took maybe an hour or so.

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Brian, those quivers are cool! If you don't mind, I might use that idea for our next kid's project this summer.

Darren

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
I'll see if I can get the kids to do a little build along.  They get some looks at the 3D shoots!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Duct tape quivers is a great idea!  The kids around here are all making duct tape wallets and stuff all the time.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
TTT
CoilSpring

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Cool quivers!! WalMart sells tons of different duct tape. I even saw some angry bird tape the other day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©