3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archery is a CLOSE RANGE pursuit!!  (Read 960 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery is a CLOSE RANGE pursuit!!
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
To further explain myself and my need to get one under my belt:

I put in hours and hours and hours bowhunting every fall yet I only kill one or two deer per year with my bow....that's all my family can eat.  I have only killed one with a firearm in the last 10 years and that was a REVENGE killing...he skirted me one too many times with my bow in hand.

ANYWAY>....I want to get one to get over the hump confidence wise. I am shooting a 46 year old 40 pound bow.  I'm proficient with it to 20 yards but even at that distance I have enough worry in my head that I'll make a bad shot or the bow won't deliver enough energy to make a quick clean kill with a trackable blood trail.  These are valid concerns from a guy who wants more than anything in the world for any deer I choose to shoot to NOT SUFFER and not go unrecovered.  

Yes I did say that range was part of my problem and it is....but I shouldn't have focused on that in this thread.  I mentioned that to encourage myself to remember that all but one of my lifetime's bow kills have been INSIDE of my effective recurve range.  I am hunting a nice big ole buck and I am concerned that he could skirt me at just outside my range but that can happen with any weapon in the deer woods.  

Really more than anything I was trying to rally myself to let it go and get out and hunt...TRAD style.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline mark stella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
I decided one day that I was not having fun anymore. Seemed that I always pressured myself when hunting with wheels. I finally committed, sold my compounds so I would not use them as a crutch, and went out and bought a recurve. Practice, persistence, and patients were the keys on my journey. If one walks outside my range no big deal. I smile, tip my hat, and give thanks to the encounter. Maybe next time. Most importantly is I'm having fun now. I feel like a kid again. Keep it up, you can do it. Good luck.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
The only way to do it is to do it ................Good luck!

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
archer 66 - You've got it together brother! Go get em!!!  :archer2:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I had one shot in 41 years.....and that was in 1971. If it was all about getting one [as much as would like to] I would have stayed with firearms and compounds or what ever. I saw more deer this year that I have in a long ,long time.....still did not get a shot, but I went out every chance I could and continue my quest. And with this gear it doesn't have to be a buck.....at least for me!
Ron,

I am going to clear the guest bedroom and next year you are going to come over here and spend a few days in early Southern Zone bow and we'll see if we can't rectify this.  Room to sit, still-hunt, borrow a tree stand or bring your own.  PM me.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
I have been blessed with an area to hunt that is just lousy with deer. Took my daughter on her first deer hunt there. We hunted the evening. When she finally got a shot at a deer, there were 45 deer in the 40 acre field we were sitting in. The area is a long drive from my house so success seems important to those who I take along and to my wife who usally stays behind. I have went bowhunting there only 2 times in the past 15 years. But because of the pressure put upon me, I always take a rifle. I don't hunt there much because I love to bowhunt. I wish I had someone to go there with to bowhunt the area.Also the land owner wants me or whoever I take to shoot as many deer as we can. It's sad that people don't appreciate the hunt, only the reward.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
archer66-  lose the wheels!  just do it man!  or even better, find a reason other than archery to sell the wheelie bow, it works!  I went 100% trad this past summer after getting back into archery after 15 years off..with a wheelie...quickly realized it was too easy, LOL, and not soulful to me, so I put the contraption in its case and put it in the laundry room.  I kept saying to myself "hang on to it, you might use it on occasion"...wrong...I can't bring myself to, ever...I have all my trad bows up on the rack and just get so much satisfaction from hitting my target with them..OR missing.  I walk toward the wheelie case and hesitate...then turn around and walk the other way or grab a stickbow.  

Well, I recently had a breakthrough gift idea for my wife and its not a cheap gift, sooooo I PUT THE WHEELIE UP FOR SALE!!!  That's all it took..a NON archery related reason..you could try that?!  Buy the wife something, buy the kids something, buy a family member something, pay off some debt, put the money in savings, LOL.  Take the plunge!!

Oh and P.S.:  20 yards with a stickbow is GREAT!  and beyond that?..practice practice practice!  aim small/miss small- aim for the hair above the heart is what they say, hahahaha
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
I didn't switch to hunting with a recurve because I was dissatisfied with hunting with a compound. The challenge was plenty with the Mathews.  While I've killed many dozens of deer before returning to recurves, only a handful had been further than 25 yards and only a couple had been more than 30. None were more than 33 yards.

I switched to a curve in 2010 for the nostaligia of hunting the way I did when I started back in 1970. The curve IS more challenging and my effective range is less than half what it used to be. But, I'm ok with that.

My recurve choice did cost me a chance at a very nice Kudu (43 yards) and a large Blue Wildebeast (25 yards) this past August. However, I don't regret having the recurve in my hands. (The GREAT news is that my son killed that Kudu 30 minutes later!)

I understand the confidence thing in the starting post above. For me it's not so much about killing a deer as it is about my having a strong aversion to missing or wounding. While I knew that arrows from recurves were as deadly as those from other bows, I was very glad my first two shots at deer in 2010 were pass-throughs and the deer dropped in sight.

I'm actually in a different place regarding equipment now. I'm trying to confince myself to CONTINUE using a compound for some type of hunting. This is just in case I get to the point where I can't shoot the curve (injury). I may reserve spring turkey hunting for hunting with that equipment.

If this admission requires that I turn in my merit badge (ha) ....

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
A confident range is more complex than mere yardage, live deer are not dead 3d targets.  Back in the 70s I was hunting a long strip of river bottom along a major highway. I still hunted it and when I got to the end there was a pond with mound on the opposite side that had a badger hole and beyond that an apple tree.. With my heavy Schulz longbow it was point on, 68 yards.  I took that practice shot everyday and then went to retrieve my arrow out of the hole and would go get an apple. One day a large buck came out from underneath the interstate culvert and stood in that spot while I was getting ready to take my dayly across the pond shot. He was staring at the apple tree, thinking about which apple he was going to eat first, I guess.  I drew my 2117 with the three blade Wasp broadhead and shot the buck right through the heart.  one blade stayed on the outside skin, one was stuck to an entry rib the third broke up and only had about half of it left which went through the heart. the buck made two jumps and went down. Lesson from that, never use those heads ever again. This year a nice deer came to within 25 yards of me, but it was extremely skittish and wired. It did not bolt, but continued to within 18 yards. Every time I breathed, it flashed a look my direction and looked like it wanted to bolt.  That deer was never in range, I did not dare to force a shot and let it pass.  For me, spooky deer are all out of range and I have shot a number of deer on the move, but spooky deer, whether moving or standing are almost impossible to predict.

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
I've been shooting trad equipment for over 10 years now and have killed my share of game.  I enjoy it immensley, and choose to go this way because it's just more fun to me.  I also KNOW that it is just as effective as modern equipment when used within my limits.  With that said however, a couple years back I injured my shoulder and was having trouble using trad equipment.  I just couldn't practice as much as I needed to stay sharp and keep the level of confidence I needed to hunt.  I switched back to a compound and killed a couple deer with it for the 2011 season.  I do not regret that at all. I'm a bowhunter first, traditional archer second.  I'm a believer that you shouldn't beat yourself up for what weapon you choose to use.  If you don't want or feel like you are ready to go full time with the stick, then don't, I won't think any less of you for one ..  Sounds like you love the hunt for the hunt and there is nothing wrong with that imo.  :)    :)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Hope ya get em!! I know exactly how you feel I struggled with same things. And for me it's still mostly about the kill. I don't go to the woods to look at trees. I'm there to put a animal on the ground. I just like putting an arrow through em better than a bullet!!  This time of year they are more predictable, just Mel toughing it out. You will get your chance!! Good luck
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Sounds to me that perhaps the bigger struggle is the issue of success! I know for me, the transition back to Trad. was a bit of a struggle due to the fact that I really wanted to still kill a mature buck every year. I used my longbow all year and lost a HUGE buck....switched to the compound and killed a mature buck the very next time out at 9 yards. As he ran 60 yards and fell over, I said to myself "should have had the longbow".

I was disappointed in myself that I had put more emphasis in the caliber buck I killed instead of the quality of the hunt. Until a hunter is ready to come home empty handed with a smile on his face, he is likely not ready to fully commit to a more traditional weapon. I don't bow hunt because I enjoy easy hunts, which is why I use stick bows.

If you head out to that new stand and have one of those 2 bucks come by at 30 yards and you're disappointed you don't have your wheels...it's not time to commit to the stick. If you can be happy in the fact you got to see such a deer and smile knowing he won...you certainly are ready. Either position is fine...not one more elite or superior to the next...just different. Our hunting career (for lack of a better term) is like a big circle.....I've been around it twice already!!

More than anything else...have fun and be safe!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
I have hunted now for 6 years with trad,haven't killed any deer yet but wouldn't trade the experience for a trophy buck.Just getting close enough to shoot is a rush and honestly I love it,I have had success at small game and I know when I have more time the success with deer will come.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
[QB] Sounds to me that perhaps the bigger struggle is the issue of success! I know for me, the transition back to Trad. was a bit of a struggle due to the fact that I really wanted to still kill a mature buck every year. I used my longbow all year and lost a HUGE buck....switched to the compound and killed a mature buck the very next time out at 9 yards. As he ran 60 yards and fell over, I said to myself "should have had the longbow".

AHHH.....sounds just like the way I was too !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Been there and part of why I am not a purist.  I do hope to move more towards just using a stick bow.  But right now for deer hunting it's either a recurve or a gun, as I can't bring myself to dust off my old compound.  So I either view it as a short or longer range game when I go into it.

Of course this year on my first hunt out of nearly 20 without my recurve a doe came along with the best set up possible for the recurve.  But I still got to fry up some tenderloins for breakfast.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Close range it is.  I figure if I need a laser rangefinder to figure the distance, it's too far.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
The journey, not the Destination!  That first trad anything will taste beteer than anything you ever had.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Archer66, what you are experiencing will pass with time. In a few years it will be a distant memory as you will have adjusted your style of hunting several times and you will have found what works and what doesn't for you.

You are experiencing compound withdraws just like a smoker who threw his last pack out the window of his truck. For those who have made the transition from wheels to none they are not only giving up the speed and accuracy with something they were so comfortable with but also their security blanket...sights.

This off season scout with your maximum range in mind. Next year set up for 10 yard shots when you hang stands. You can still stack the odds in your favor somewhat. The one thing you cannot control is how the whitetail will act in the wild. You will have to adjust how you think about hunting within your limits.

We hunt with these things because it is different and in a way we are non-conformists choosing do something in a less modern way. It becomes a very personal journey for the traditional archer and bow hunter. That is why there is so much passion with most who are on this path.

Best wishes.

Offline cleopatra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Great comments all around. I don't miss my compound at all, I just enjoy the hunting experience with trad gear. Keep up the hard work and you will be rewarded. Good things come to those with patience. Rich

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©