3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Funny Experiment  (Read 335 times)

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
Funny Experiment
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
At the house I'm working at (small kitchen remodel) we took down a small piece of wall, probably four feet tall and two feet wide with drywall still on one side.  As we were leaving to go home this afternoon I had the small piece of wall in my hand and was going to throw it on the garbage trailor.  My uncle told me to turn around and about 50 yards away there was a deer coming out of the woods and heading toward the yard.  I said to him I wonder how close I can get to it using the wall.  He said go for it.  So off I went.  It was facing me and feeding.  I was peeking around the side of the wall to watch it.  When it put its head down to feed I would pick the wall up and start walking with it toward the deer.  When it looked up at me I'de set the wall down and just keep peeking around it waiting for it to put its head back down.  It took me a little while but I closed the distance all the way down to under ten yards.  It was a button buck.  He finally gave a small snort and bounced off to my side where there was momma doe standing at fifteen yards or so.  She watched me the whole time, I was so focused on the buck that I never even seen her standing there. lol  I bet she was wondering what in the world is this idiot doing hiding behind that wall. lol  But I was very suprised that I could get that close.  I slowly turned with the wall and closed the distance down to about ten yards on the both of them until they bounced off.  It was a fun time.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Funny Experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
You may on on to something, the walk and stalk wall bilnd
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
That's pretty cool!  I wonder if the doe could sense you were not really a threat or may be that we give them too much credit?

I think Gen273 is on to something.  You need to make a light weight portable "wall" that would fit on a bow stabilizer with a shoot through window for your arrow!  I think I have seen a camoflage umbrella type design before for this very purpose.  Maybe you could use a siding pattern?

That or mount a small shed or portable blind on a track-mounted electric cart or platform!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 02:19:00 AM »
Interesting experiment. I have found that if you can move with your cover(gillie suit with branches all in it) you can also get extremely close to deer.
James Kerr

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:25:00 AM »
Try that out in the woods, and not in a house's yard, and let us know how well it works. I think it may have something to do with the setting and the deer's depth perception. Also at that close range, they may have finally smelled you. Still, very interesting though.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Predators look a certain way and move a certain way.  D didn't look or move the part.  Scent didn't change though.  In that setting, the deer are used to seeing people close up.  In the wild you would still need to watch the wind.

Maybe that is a new experiment for this year.  Can we do it ?  Plain board,  colored board, board shaped like a cow,  board shaped like a T Rex.

Report back with your findings in October 2013. Heck, maybe sooner if we don't carry our bows at the time we do this. Either way it sounds fun.

ChuckC

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Gen 273 is on to something. I always thought the hay pile trick that you have seen on the cartoons would work. You know the one, where foghorn leghorn would sneek up to the dog with. "Pay attention when I'm talking to you son".

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
 T Rex  
:laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
Lol, wish I could have seen that    :biglaugh:
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Cool story watch Double Bull put a patent on it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©