3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Isla Mona, PR  (Read 1236 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Isla Mona, PR
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
Anyone hunted Isla Mona, PR?  I've got some family down there and I might need to squeeze a hunt in with a visit...

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Isla Mona, PR
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
You might check with Jay Campbell, there is a story in "Longbow" about hunting Isla Mona.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Jay Campbell is the only one I have read about hunting down there.  If I was in better shape I would be up for it!

Best of luck if you do get to go.  Would love to hear how it goes.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
As far as I know, my group is the only one from the mainland to ever hunt Isla Mona. Steve Hohensee, Rick McGowan, Jose Demoya, Dennis Harper, T. J. Conrads, Scott Van Arendonk and a few others. We made three excursions. it's a complicated trip, but was worth it, all three times. There are two Isla Mona stories in the book, Longbow. Jay Campbell  www.campbellsquest.com
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
Ok, looks like I'll be reading your book real soon, Jay.  Then I'll pick your brain apart for all the logistical stuff.  From the little I've heard, it sounds like it's an unguided experience (which is just fine), but how much money should I be expecting to shell out?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Puerto Rico, Cuba,,, looks like 2013 may be an interesting year for Trad Gang. And just when you thought we'd run out of untapped adventures. Good luck to you, Id love to go as well and will follow your progress.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I was searching the net in early fall about Mona Island (I'm not bilingual) and I'm glad to see that Jay has been there because I didn't think anyone had. Guess I'll have to buy Jay's book now also.

Pic can you post a few pics of the Island please?

CJ
lll

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Well, Luke (Gringol), that's hard to say (by the way, we're both in tampa ([email protected]). I live on the water near Westshore. Flight to San Juan ($350), Rental car to Bouqueron ($300), Three hotel nights minimum, one in San Juan waiting to get the permits in person, one coming off the boat in Boqueron, one more in San Juan before the flight home ($450), Boat from Boqueron to Isla Mona ($1600), Food/Water ($200 per person), Certificates, licenses ($100). So, that gives an idea you can add up and divide by 4, which is as many folks as you can cram in one hotel room and car. The boat can hold10 or so. It's camping on the beach. 4 days of actual hunting, probably 8-9 days total trip. It is one of the wildest, coolest places in the world, visited by Columbus, Captain Kidd, Taino Natives, Guano farmers, smugglers, Eiffel (built the now-crumbling lighthouse on the island). But it is one of the most dangerous places I have been - and I've been to a few. :-)  www.campbellsquest.com  the e-book is on Amazon as well. There are some folks trying to put together a trip for next fall. - Jay
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Any hunting on the main island?  I am heading down there for 2 weeks with my family in Feb.  Jay-  Why was it so dangerous on Isla Mona?  And, yes I will get your book- it sounds great.  Thanks, Brian
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Killinstuff - I can try to post pics a bit later, but there is a gallery at  www.campbellsquest.com  with a few pics of Isla Mona, and also some pics at  www.jaycampbellphotography.com,  gallery 2, longbows, password "Buffalo" capital "B". There are also some color pictures of Mona in the e-book version of "Longbow: A Hunting Life" and some black and white pics in the paperback version. - Jay

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info, Jay.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Get the book Luke, great isla mobs stories. It was also in tbh magazine a while back.

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Brian: Mona's lagoons are white sand, blue water, but slip outside those and its a long trip on swift currents to Costa Rica if the sharks don't carry you off. There are more biting insects and stinging plants than anywhere but Australia. The island is a cliff and cave system, and the climbing is tough in tropical heat, with NO water on the island. Get lost, and thirst is a real problem. About one person dies on the island each year from one thing or another. The caves open up through the high surfaces without warning: step into one of those holes and its a 10-20 yard trip down and broken bones. There is no real lifeline, its 50 miles off of the mainland. There is a small detachment of armed rangers who are a bit hostile, and the island is a busy waypoint for armed smugglers of cocaine and humans from south america. The cliffs are a 200 yard drop straight into the ocean. There is a centipede that will kill a dog with its bite, and one of those put our 6'4" minister, Scott Van Arendonk, on his back for a couple of days. The thorns are longer, stronger, and at every level more than anywhere I've been. They lance through any boot. Falls and split heads were frequent, and our surgeon, Dr. Demoya, sewed up our troops a few times and brought medicine that we needed. So it's this weight of so many things to watch for, all the time, without much backup. To get pigs and goats, you climb. To climb, you get hot, tired, and thirsty fast. And you carry 3 gallons of water (24 pounds alone) or risk the consequences. Truly, the Tiwi islands in Australia were more dangerous with Brown Snakes, Red spiders, green ants, buffalo, and salt water crocodiles, but there were camp guides there. On Mona, you're on  your own. :-) - Jay  www.campbellsquest.com

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Anytime you have to take a Minister and  Dr. with you to bowhunt a place.......

As for Hohensee and McGowan, they're nuts enough, but how did you get someone as intellegent as Jose to go along?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
Biggie, I'm a lawyer ... I lied.  :-) - Jay
 www.campbellsquest.com

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
I heard there are vampires on that island.

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Funny, Killshot. OK, Here's the opening paragraph of "Isla Mona" from the book Longbow. And she was right!

ISLA MONA

"The stewardess smelled like sweet smoke and her eyes were the color of island coffee. When she leaned in her blouse strained against its buttons, and if I wasn't already going to Puerto Rico I would have changed my flight just to follow her home. She asked where I was going, but pushed me away when I told her: Isla Mona. "Vampires on that island," she snapped, and turned her considerable Latin heat toward the next man in line."   Www.campbellsquest.com  - Jay

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jay Campbell JD:
Biggie, I'm a lawyer ... I lied.  :-) - Jay
 www.campbellsquest.com  
:biglaugh:    That made my day!  You must be a superb lawyer at that!
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Is it legal to take the chupacabra on Mona?  How much bow do you think I need for that?

Offline Ralph S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
I downloaded Jay's book on my ipad and read half of it as soon as it downloaded. It is excellent! Thanks Jay! The story on Isla Mona is one of the best in the book  and makes this ol man want to take an adventure hunt. It would be a great primer for anyone wanting to hunt that island. Check it out and I bet you'll agree.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©