3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: " Primal Dreams "  (Read 1437 times)

Offline TexasBubba

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: " Primal Dreams "
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
It amazes me all the arm chair critics/producers that are out there..........

Drop some cash buy you a camera, get out there, spend some time in the woods and produces your own video.  Then you can have it the way you want it, but be prepared for the arm chair critics/producers.

P.S.  I'm sure James Earl Jones is always available for some voice overs.
Bill Graves
U.S. Army Infantry (Retired) 1982-2004
Iraq - Afghanistan Veteran

I was a soldier - I am a soldier- I will always be a soldier

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
TexasBubba,
   I guess you could say I'm an arm chair critic/producer but I can't remember many videos that I thought were 100% perfect and if I may quote:

Thanks for your opinion guys.
Thanks for the comments. They help.  
I tried to make mine in a positive, constructive manner.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Ray,
Oh yes the "hype" got me. For over a year every post I read stated something to this effect, "greatest bowhunting DVD ever" or "award winning bowhunting video". I'm glad people like the dvd and I'm even happy it won awards. In my opinion it is not a "hunting" video. Some people say that it's the best they have ever seen. Better than Bowhunting October Whitetails?  I think not even close.
I love the sight of an oak ridge in late October and the smell of the woods after the rain; but I don't need the sierra club existentialism bowseason on DVD. Let alone the $20 I put into the Wensel's pockets to get it.
Teach me why did you pick that stand location or how to set up correctly on those elk. Good bowhunting video's in my opinion teach.
Like I said in my earlier post, I may be the only one that will state this opinion in public. To those who PM'd me, thanks and I do understand.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
I rest my case. You've proven my hypothesis to be correct.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Ditto
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
So do I.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Here's my two cents worth.  I was inspired, no COMPELLED to take up the simple bow and arrow after watching Fred Bear's film "The Oldest Game" some 40 years ago.  As far as hunting technique, well, it taught me very little, however it did capture my imagination and take me to a place where sounds of trickling water, rustling maple leaves, and the smell of fresh earth abound.  Primal Dreams does this too.  It is a heartfelt attempt to communicate the total hunting experience to bowbenders and non-hunters alike.  In that vein I think it is quite successful.  Is it perfect, of course not, however the Wensel and Mittens have created a fine film on an out-of-pocket budget. I have personal knowledge of the difficulties they encountered in bringing their vision to the public. It was, indeed, a labor of love for the sport they cherish, not - in any way, an attempt at turning a big profit.  Please consider these points when passing judgment.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
As a lifelong bowhunter, the climax of it all is watching the arrow slice thru the air and strike, then disapear thru the chest cavity. Crude sounding but nonetheless, it's the point in which we realize the plan coming together.
I understand guys who want to see the "kills" and there are plenty of tapes out there for that. But realistically, the moment of impact is such a small percentage of bowhunting, why should it be the large percentage of hunting videos?
I have been hunting with G&B for over 20 years now, let me say this, MONEY DOESN'T DRIVE WHAT THEY DO IN BOWHUNTING. They LOVE bowhunting. Sometimes I think too much :-) They want to share the spiritual aspects with us and this DVD is one way to point out how much heartfelt love they have for the outdoors.
When you simply consider the time and effort and cost to edit and produce thousands of hours of footage down to a two hour dvd, then split any profit 5 ways, you can easily see $$$$ doesn't drive this effort.

You're given a chance here to spend time afield with two of the finest bowhunters who've ever lived. Imagine one or the other of them standing beside you as you watch this footage. See what they see, walk where they walk. Feel it!

When we (2XL Productions) produced Spirit of the Bow, and I'm sure it didn't sell as many copies as PD, we never did recover all of our costs.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
:wavey:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
I think it was among the best 20 dollar bills I ever sent to anyone !  I liked it alot. I'll admit, when I first put it on, and I did'nt see alot of kills, I thought what ? Then I started hearing and seeing what they saw and what I beleived they were wanting others too feel, so I restarted the video. It then became clear, (yea, I'm a bit slow at times LOL) I think it was an awsome video. I'll buy any video from those guys, they have the right feeling about what we love and do. I don't kill many animals and I don't get many chances to be out among it,  but I have a good time just being out there and seeing them and knowing a feeling that many will never feel or truely know. It is truely not about the kill, that is secondary to the feeling one gets when hunting. For me, killing anything is a weird feeling, but a feeling that must be endured during the process of life. I don't kill anything I'm not going to eat. I pay tribute to those animals I do kill to feed my family. All that said, it was a great video my whole family watched and enjoyed. I have shared it with others who don't hunt, but understand the process of responsible hunting, they enjoyed it as well. I kinda understand the turkey segment, I'd be excited too, if I could take one of them with a bow, I'm still trying  ;)  
 This was a very different video compared to the October Whitetails, but a dang good one none the less.
Just my very humble opinion
Jerald

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
We do not hunt to kill- we kill to have hunted.

- Y Gassett
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
I got a great idea to the people who don't like the P.D. dvd that they have purchased and this isn't a thread to bring any arguments. List them ( only if you want to ) as a free give away like so many other thoughtful Trad Gangers have done and give them to whoever you pick .If you have an archery club that has a library where members can sign out Books, Mags and Dvd's you could possibly donate them to the clubs!!! I love my P.D. dvd and I share it with my friends who may not have the funds to buy one.Just a thought if you don't like yours! That would be a great thing to do and can be very rewarding to the heart! God Bless ! Keefers <")))><

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
I hunt as much as anybody, probably more,  and I spend far more time observing, than I do killing. Kinda like the DVD.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Marty, the observing ends when the arrow is loosed. That being said I agree, you do spend less time killing  ;-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
That's cause you always take the good spots. You're too big to argue with.By the way, you looked really good in Primal Dreams.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by MARTY:
That's cause you always take the good spots. You're too big to argue with.By the way, you looked really good in Primal Dreams.
That's probably the only downside to watching a long feature film. No matter how many times you watch it there are always things you miss.

Now I'm gonna be forced to go back and view it yet again looking for Biggie. You would think a man of Biggies stature would show up noticeably in the first 27 views.   :)
Tom Mussatto

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
I didn't see my bud in there, either, Tom..so don't feel bad.

Maybe that's a "dig" from Marty at the bigster....you never know about those two!

You will soon be able to see Marty in his own feature film....  " An impala Too Far" I believe, is the title, about his African adventures.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
hahHahHahaAhahhHhahaahahahahHHAhahHAHAHAHhAHa
Now that's funny Ray
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
thought you might enjoy that, Wayne!!!!! Can't wait to hear what Marty thinks....I'm sure payback is going to be something to behold.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
ttt. for the marty-meister!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©