INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD  (Read 19319 times)

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
I need more   :coffee:
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
After hunting since I was just a kid, you can imagine that I've had a few pretty good days in the fields and woods, most of which were in the company of my long gone German Shorthair chasing pheasant and quail in Kansas on the farm.  I can honestly say that the Thursday afternoon hunt was my most exciting day hunting that I've ever had.  

I was still pretty pumped from the night before, and Thursday morning was pretty good as well. There were no shot opportunities during the morning hunt, but lots of game wandered in and out my view.

The guide told me he was putting me in a new spot, and I told him that I was good with wherever he decided to put me. I must say that when he drove up to a box blind in a pasture with what looked like very little cover I was more than a little skeptical.

He gave me the rundown on where the deer approach from, and then turned me loose, telling me on his way back to the truck to be ready as soon as he drove off.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
OK, Look, I have been waiting for a certain hunter to tell his story before I picked up with mine, but I know you guys are blood thirsty savages and since Nathan already told his story, here's a picture of him and his doe to tide you over...

MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Listen up guys/gals this is good.     :archer:
Go for it Brian.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
This is a lot of fun guys! Thanks.

Kenny    :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by katman:
Listen up guys/gals this is good.      :archer:  
Go for it Brian.
Oh yeah! What he said^^^^^^^

Bisch

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Sounding good guys.  Keep bringing it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Allright.  Just got done with the dishes and getting the kids ready for bed.  I've got to start earning points for next year...

Directly behind the blind is a hillside, about 100 yards or so.  It's covered with tall grass and some brush, but not very much.  In front of me is a cactus flat with cedar trees throughout, and a creek about 150 yards or so.  Beyond the creek is a rocky hillside and cliff that the Texas Hill Country is known for.

I was really questioning the guide after 30 minutes, as the cattle started moving into the area.  Remembering him telling me to ignore them, I chose to do just that.  After the cattle moved directly behind me I happened to look out of the right window, and caught movement instantly.  It was only a couple of button bucks, but if the window would have been open I think I could have jumped on them.

They fed within 7-10 yards for quite a while, then a young 8 pointer joined them.  I kept agonized over whether or not to shoot the 8 pointer, as I've never killed a buck, with any weapon, and was still looking for my first traditional kill.  As he wandered closer, I could not take it any more.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I was in the truck when we picked up Brian after the morning hunt and am still jazzed about hearing the story.    :archer2:
shoot straight shoot often

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Some random pics from Solana:

This is "The Box" that Rob hunted several times.
Charlie should recognize it from last year.

MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
the "kumbaya" stuff ...

this is my third year, but second full stay at solana.  it's really all about a confluence of like-minded trad bowhunters that's second to none.  fabulous country, excellent guides, great on site ranch management, and fabulous FOOD (yeah man!).  it was great to meet both old and new friends, share camp, and hunt the land.  you betcha i'll be back next year.

the hunt stuff (well, just some of it) ...

unlike last year, this trip didn't produce a buck for me.  not even a doe.  nor a piggy or a turk.  heck, nothing, nada, no bloody arrows.  sure, i was out and up for the kill, but sometimes things just don't come together for sundry reasons - or the critters just aren't that obliging.  not a problem for me, the thrill of the hunt is my cake - the killing is the icing.  man, i had a GREAT time!

first hunt for me was wednesday late afternoon in "the box" - a large wooden structure set into the woods and about 20 yards in front of a feeder and some pasture land.  a narrow horizontal slit window gave me good access to the goings on, and right away a "doe" appeared from nowhere and started feeding.  as it got closer i spotted what i needed to confirm - spike horns.  pass.  that feller got within about 7 yards of me.  never knew i was there.  from the left a pair of does were feeding in but never got within range.  then an truly nice 8 point strutted left to right behind the feeder, about 30 yards out, never stopping, then gone.  so were all the other deer.  within another half hour the spike returned.  end of the first sitting.  

a few hunts later i was in a carpet blind overlooking a "road trail" peppered with corn.  nada for the whole sitting until the sun went down and hogs moved in, grunting and munching the kernals like, well, slobbering pigs.  the light was dim, but i could see the forms of at least 5 or 6 hogs, picked out one that was broadside and standing relatively still, pulled back the 54# sparrowhawk and let fly a woodsman tipped carbon ... "SQUEEEEEEEEEEL!!!!" ... the pigs blew out but i was sure i hit one good.  guide truck showed up inside of a half hour but no arrow or blood to track.  pigs 1, rob 0.  it happens.

"the aeroplane that arrived too late" - another afternoon hunt is from a ladder platform stand with only one viable window opening in the tree leaves.  cool, totally still air, quiet as can be.  first up is a spike, nibbling the corn off the feeder.  he's there for quite some time and then a doe shows up, and then 3 more does.  of course the does stay out of the shooting window.  i see 2 more does enter from the right, but no way to shoot the 64" longbow.  one of the does enters the window and i wait for her to present a better body angle ... and then HE appears.  8 point, nice mains, brow tines, but super wired and edgy.  forget the doe, i want this bad boy!  he's Real Nervous, i get the bow up, arrow already nocked, apply slight pressure to the string and ... he snaps his head up and looks directly at me with big, glowing saucer eyes.  busted.  2 minutes later a twin engine sport plane roars overhead, breaking all the silence.  DANG!        

sunday morning, last hunt, in a tripod stand.  cold morning and a slight northerly breeze makes it colder yet. 6am, 7am, 8am ... finally at 9:01am a real nice 6 point shows up, thick rack, good body weight, and he begins feeding behind the tree stand's leaf cover ... slowly moving closer to the feeder that's about 20 yards away, and then he's under the feeder, cracking corn.  at 9:11 he's right in my zone and i aim low and release, he drops into the arrow (i think?), i hear a grunt and he bolts off into the bush to my left.  i wait a half hour and come down.  no arrow on the ground.  no blood.  no hair.  it happens, again.

no blood, no critters, but what a great hunt! you've got to LOVE solana!  maybe next year!   :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
John took these for me from some observation stands during the hunt.

MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
I eased into shooting position, careful to keep the chair from squeaking.  He was maybe 15 yards away, broadside, and facing my right.  The button bucks were completely oblivious to everything but the corn.

Did I mention that I was a bit excited?  This blind had a narrow floor to ceiling window in the front, with a screen covering the bottom half.  The screen did a good job of covering up my movements as I got into position.

My eyes were burning holes in the lower part of his chest, just behind the crease.  I just couldn't bring myself to aim at the dirt below him, fearing that he wouldn't follow the script of dropping at the shot.  

As I drew back everything was going as planned, and I hit both anchors, and let my bow arm get still, feeling the string slip off my fingers.  Then I felt the bottom limb of my MOAB slap the dog out of my left calf, sending arrow skidding along the rocks underneath the buck.  I felt like cussing, and I did.  Repeatedly.  

My target did not stick around after the arrow clattered past, but soon returned with the button bucks and another one of his buddies, a 6 pointer with a tall, narrow basket rack.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
PREPARE TO BE AMAZED BY RIDICULOUS ARCHERY MISS...SORT OF...

As I stated before, the first night out found me in my old familiar blind from the previous year with high hopes.

Two different doe groups came in early and competed for the available feed.  I watched one mature doe assert her dominance over the group on multiple occasions,  It was a treat to see this behavior.

Suddenly I saw a really nice buck coming in.  He was a mature 7 point (broken brow on the right side).  As he came in to my shooting lane I prepared for a shot opportunity.  As he turned broadside I lost focus on the surrounding deer and came to full draw.  Not paying enough attention to the doe groups was a MISTAKE! As I came to full draw a big doe busted me.  Milliseceonds before my release all hell broke loose.  Committed as I was to release there was no way to reclaim the arrow from the initiated launch sequence.  As the arrow left the string I remember thinking, "please miss everything!" and I almost did.

With a loud thud my arrow struck the buck's left antler in mid matrix transition.  As the deer bounded off with the arrow hanging from his antlers I sat there slack-jawed.  Three bounds later the arrow rattled loose and flipped into the mud.

It's ok.  I wouldn't believe this story if you told it either.
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
This is some great reading fellas, Keep it coming!!   :campfire:  

Steve

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
That buck in the pictures that John took for you from the observation stand (2nd and 3rd from the top), sure is a nice looking buck.  If I am correct that it is the same deer.
  Great story guys!  Keep it coming!!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
At this point, the 4 bucks now feeding were on the far side, perhaps 25 yards away.  Knowing that they would be in the next time zone before my arrow reached them I just relaxed a bit and waited.  While checking out the bucks through my binocs I happened to see my wayward arrow lying on the ground about 30 yards away, the hot pink fletching standing out against the light brown grass.

During one of my frequent scans out of the side windows I picked up movement to my right, and spotted a flock of turkeys headed my way down the brush line.  They looked like they were in a BIG hurry.  Turkeys were passing one another on a dead run, trying to get to the corn first.  Once they arrived the bucks backed off a bit giving the turkeys some room.  

As they fed closer I picked out what looked like the biggest one and followed his movements like a hawk.  Slowly I turned on my iphone video cam and quietly leaned it against the bottom of the screen window, making sure that the turkey was in view.  

This time I made sure my darn leg was out of the way, and drew back.  I don't remember releasing the arrow, but it was gone, hitting the turkey just back of the chest and low.  The arrow completely passed through the bird, coming to rest just past him.   He jumped up and flew a few feet, then staggered over to some grass and laid down.  The other turkeys trotted over to him and stood around, wondering what was going on I suppose.

I thought he was down for good, but he got up and slowly walked to a cedar tree nearby and went down for good.  The dream of my first traditional kill was a reality, finally, and I got it on video.    

The rest of the turkeys followed him to the cedar tree, standing around for quite a while looking at him.  They took turns strutting around him, looking like they were performing some kind of turkey memorial service.

While I impatiently waited to claim my prize I sent out a few texts and sent the video to my brother, who couldn't believe the story.

I was still shaking like crazy when the deer started to come back with even more of their friends.

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
:campfire:
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Still can't believe that a turkey was Brian's first traditional kill.  Here is a picture of his fine trophy:

MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©