INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD  (Read 19308 times)

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Way to go Brian !!      :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Not just any turkey either.....come on Brian, spill the beans about how special that bird was.

Bisch

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
Well done Brian!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
Your right Bisch, he is leaving out a very important detail....
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
Yeah....Tell us...and show us the video!!!

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »
When the deer started to filter back in, I thought that maybe I could get another shot. The 8 pointer came back, 3 button bucks, the 6, and a couple of does.  The 8 pointer was posturing a bit when the others would get close, laying his ears back and doing his best to look nasty.

All of a sudden his demeanor changed and he and the others headed to the far side of the feeder, and they were looking to my left and behind me.  Slowly I turned my head, and saw a forkie, another 6 and a doe coming my way.  Behind them was a nice 7 pointer with a freakish rack.  His left antler was a normal 4 point, the outside edge just at the ear.  The other side had 3 points, but was probably 6 inches past the ear.

When he got there, you knew he was going to be running the show.  The others gave him lots of room, staying well out of his way.  Once again I eased into position.  He seemed to be calming down after feeding my way for a while, looking like he was pretty relaxed, or as relaxed as a Solana deer can be.

He was facing my right, maybe 15-17 yards away as I started my draw.  Thumb knuckle in front of the ear, check.  Nose on the back of the feather, check.  Skinny bird leg out of the way, check.  I picked a spot low on the chest, just back of the elbow and once again felt the arrow slip away.

I've never seen a deer move so freaking fast in my life!  The buck dropped down and did a 180 before the arrow arrived, and I got nothing but air.  The deer scattered as I sat there wondering what just happened.  This buck definitely "ran the script"!

There's still a bit of daylight left, but I have no more broadheads in the quiver.  This is a situation that I've never faced before.  For some reason I carry one field point or hex head in my quiver in case I want to stump shoot on the way in or out.  I was really regretting that decision on this hunt.  I decided I'd better go retrieve the 2 arrows I could see while there was nothing in sight.  

As soon as I opened the door to the blind deer started blowing on the hillside behind me.  I slowly closed the door and sat back down, not wanting to ruin the spot for the next hunter.  I figured that the action was over for the evening.

Then the pigs showed up.  They came in fast, from across the field behind me, right at dusk.  Here I am, no broadheads left, with 15 pigs at 7-10 yards.  The thought did occur to me that I should shoot one with the field point, but I didn't think that would work very well and held off.

My flaslight shining on them startled them briefly, then they returned to the feed.  Nothing I did in the blind seemed to bother them, and they stayed for around 20-30 minutes as I waited for the guys to come get me.

The wait seemed like an eternity for me.  I was a bit nervous about the turkey, thinking that the hogs may go over there and eat it, but I was ready to rush over and defend it if necessary!

Finally I saw headlights coming and I started out the blind, still shaking from the excitement.  Katman noticed the vacancies in my quiver and I told them what had happened.  

I was pretty sure where the turkey was, but we retrieved the arrows first, and the one I hit the turkey with was covered with blood.  I followed blood on the ground to where he had laid down, then headed to the cedar tree where he died.  The guide found him first, and I had my prize!

Upon further inspection back at the ranch house, we discovered that the turkey was a special one- he had not one, but TWO beards!  I was ecstatic, and called my wife to tell her the news.  She immediately asked if I was going to have him mounted, and I told her that I believe I would!

It was an unbelievable afternoon, one that I will never forget!

Offline ABDULLAH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Great stories so far!
Live your dreams, Don't just chase them!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
I've hunted there since before TradGang was founded, over ten years.  Every year I have ridden with David Shepperd, who many here will attest to, that his entertainment is almost worth the price of admission....

Gan I get an Amen?

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
Amen, the mans a blast to talk to.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
"AMEN" for david!!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Although I cant see any pics on the work computer(darn state) the stories are great!!!!! Keep em coming.

Congrats Brian on your trophy!!!!!!!!!

Rob I live by your philosphy as well. The kill is just the icing. I LOVE the cake though!!!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Congrats on the turkey, Brian!!!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
:campfire:  Congratulations Brian!
James Kerr

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Amen for my buddy David!!!

Brian, Congrats on the turkey man, that's awesome!!
I've been to Solana 4 times and have never once seen a turkey from a stand. Heard them plenty, and saw them riding around, but never from the stand.

You got the tough one out of the way first for the "Solana Slam", and it sounds like you could have finished it in about one night!  What a great hunt!

The "freakish 7pt" sounds a lot like the one I shot there a few years back. Big, old mature buck that I shot at 22yds....aimed at a rock at knee hight, he dropped right into it! I call him my "freak nasty"....

Tough missing out on this one   :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
There would have been some serious head swelling if I had gotten the Slam in one afternoon.  You all would have NEVER heard the end of it!  I actually saw turkeys from the stand 3 different times during the trip.  

David was very entertaining to say the least.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
Great stuff so far. I cannot believe I had to miss this year. Great stories so far. Congrats on your first Dan.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Great stuff so far, congrats to everyone.   :campfire:    :coffee:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
Here's a video, let's see if it works.

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Wow!!! Beautiful bird and great video. Congrats.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
COOL....1st time I got to see it....that is something special right there sir!!!   :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©