INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD  (Read 19309 times)

Re: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Congrats again Brian!!!!! I've shot lots of turkeys but never one with multiple beards!

Bisch

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Way to go Brian!  Congrats!!  The stories are great fellas... keep'em coming.     :campfire:
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
I know that blind well, missed a heck of an 8 point two years ago due to my limb tip hitting the top of the blind on release, he ducked and rolled so quick and was gone in a spit second. The arrow did hit the rock I was aiming at,LOL.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
Great video Brian! I could not see it too well on your phone but can real well on here!

Well, I've already told you about my pig miss on the first evening. It seems as though the hunting on this trip was somewhat of a "Comedy of Errors" for me all the way to the last morning.

On day 2 I hunted the same blind as the first afternoon. Again, I saw lots of deer but could never manage a shot. I felt if I could keep hunting there I would eventually get a shot off at a deer. That was not meant to be though, as the wind changed direction.

On Friday morning it was really nasty weather! Cold and rainy. I told my guide, Gary, if he had a box blind to put me in I would go out. He said there was an enclosed blind and we went out in the mud. This blind was off a feeder and was just fed out with hand throw corn. I got in the blind and Gary drove off in the dark. Before I could even get settled I heard something and looked up. PIGS!!!!! It ws really dark and I could just make out blobs in front of me. I told myself to wait till it got light enough to see them better. Alas, that that did not happen. They ate up all the corn and took off for their next feedbag before it got light enough for me to launch an arrow!

« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
During the midday on Friday, Michael brought Donald Rowans bow out and, man, what a beauty that bow is. After michael shot it a few times I picked it up just to see what a Silvertip felt like in my hand. At that point I could not stand it and had to shoot it a bit.

Man, this bow felt good! Even at 59#, which is really heavy for me, this bow felt gooooooood!!! The more I shot it, the better it felt. It even liked my arrows too.

I decided if no one else had dibs on it, I was gonna try to hunt with it. When Terry showed up at camp, he said no one else had spoken for it and to give it a go. It is not very often that I pick up a bow that I can just shoot good right off the bat. I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to make sure I was honed in with her at hunting range. I really felt like I could successfully hunt with this bow and had the same feeling I had when I got "Hope". the St.Judes bow, last year.

Since the wind had switched directions, it was new stands for everyone on Friday afternoon. I was put in a ladder stand nestled in a giant cedar tree. At about 4:10 I looked up and, out of nowhere, a nice boar hog appeared under the feeder. I moved to get in position and he froze, looking my way. I thought I had been busted but that was not the case. Out of the corner of my eye I catch movenment from my left and here comes about 20 turkey gobblers. I decided that since I had a somewhat unfamiliar bow in my hands I would try for the bigger target, the boar. He was moving around feeding and kind of charged at the turkeys. Three or four of the turkeys startled and flapped their wings and the boar took off out of there. Well, with the boar gone, I was now focusing my attention on the turkeys. I picked one out and began to draw the bow. Of course, they saw me, made that sound that turkeys make, and all began to walk away. I picked the closest one, a jake, finished my draw, and let the arrow slip from my fingers. It looked like the arrow disappeared into the jake and he flew up and then landed a short distance away. I could see a bunch of ruffled up feathers square in the middle of his back right where I though I was aiming. He walked off like he was uninjured and joined the rest for a quick exit.

At this point I was unsure if I had made a good shot or not. It was still real early so I decided to stay put in the blind and wait till dark to look.

That decision turned out to be a good one. Right before dark I heard something to my right and here come the pigs! About ten pigs came in and a nice sow got positioned good, quartered away, right in front of me. I wasted no time, drew the bow, and had a total failure of form on my part which caused a clean miss to the right of the pig.

After thinking about it, the draw weight of the bow could have been a factor. This bow was about 11# heavier than what I am used to and I had not shot it sitting down.

After it got dark, Gary came to pick me up. We looked for my arrows and found them. The turkey arrow had indeed hit the bird! There were feathers on the front of the shaft, but no blood. We searched the area and could not find him. The arrow must have hit to one side a bit and glanced off of him. I suspect that he is still roaming with the flock, waiting for another hunter to get a crack at him.

I really loved having the chance to hunt with Donald's bow. I had two opportunities but it was not meant to be this time. I feel honored to be able to have hunted with this bow. It is a fine bow. I wish I had taken a pic of this bow to show y'all how sweet she is.

After two more misses on this day I decided to give her up and let someone else try if they wanted too. My confidence was boogered up after three misses. I needed to get back to my bow to try to get my confidence back.

Thanks again, Danny, for sending Donald's bow for us to shoot and honor him.

Bisch

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Bisch,

Thank you, I am glad you hunted with her. Sorry she is a bit heavy for you but you almost scored with her, I am sure Donald was helping you all he could and he enjoyed the hunt with you.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Great stuff so far, congrats on the critters!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
You are welcome Danny! Like I said, I was honored to give it a whirl.

Saturday was a very slow day for me. I did not see much of anything in the morning or afternoon.

Now we are down to zero hour. Sunday morning was the last chance to bring a critter back to camp. I would have been happy either way, as I had a great time and experience on this hunt.

Sunday morning Gary told me he had a brand new stand to take me to. He said it had not been hunted this week and there was a lot of deer and hog activity around this area. When we pulled up in the dark I could tell I would like the setup. It was a very tall, probably 20' high, ladder stand set in a huge mature live oak tree. I climbed up into the stand and even in the dark could already see well in the moonlight.

Remember, in my earlier post, that I referred to my hunting on this trip as a "Comedy of Errors"? Well, that held true on this, my last hunt, as well.

I was sitting in the stand and, after 5 days of getting up at 4:00am and not getting to bed till 10 or 11, lack of sleep was catching up with me. I nodded off a couple times in the dark. Then I looked down to see a deer form in the moonlight coming in. And another, and another, and another! It looked in the dark to be three does and a fawn. Now I was wide awake and concentrating on the deer, trying to make sure they were what I thought they were. It was still dark but I could see them well and these deer were calmer than any I had seen all week. All I needed was daylight to make it happen.

Now comes the last act in my "Comedy of Errors". I was sitting there, watching the deer. I had my bow on my lap with an arrow nocked. I was holding my bow with my left hand. All of a sudden, I felt something strange in my hand. I looked down just in time to see my arrow CLANG off the first branch below me. It CLINGED and CLANGED off of every possible obstruction in the way all the way to the ground. Those four deer were out of there (probably before the arrow hit the second branch). All I could do was just kind of chuckle at myself. Even though it was not even daylight yet, I was sure I had just boogered up my last chance at Solana for this year!

I got another arrow out and sat there, cursing myself under my breath for being so stupid!! It got light and all was quiet. I sat there for another hour and did not see a thing.......until......looking through a small hole in the tree limbs I saw a deer butt!

I had to look again to make sure but it was a deer butt, and it was only about 20 yds from me. As I watched a second deer walked through the hole and then they both made their way in front of me. It was a nice doe and a fawn. The game was back on now!!!

Both deer made their way to about 12yds in front of me and I waited till the doe got in a slightly quartered away position. I drew back and don't even remember letting go of the string. I do remember seeing the arrow hit the deer.....very low and a bit back. Both deer busted out of there. I sent Gary  message telling him I had shot a deer. While waiting for him to come get me. I looked down and could see good blood on the ground from the stand. That was a relief as I knew the shot had hit a bit back. Gary came and picked me up and we decided to go back to camp and wait till after breakfast, just to make sure. After we ate, Gary Brian, and myself piled in the truck to go find my deer. There was good blood at first......and then the dreaded green stomach contents. Gary also let his dog Big Rig out on the track. Big Rig was having a bit of a hard time staying on the track and he and Gary worked together. Brian and me worked the blodd trail. It was tough for a while but then it started getting better, and then really better. About 100yds later down a steep embankment was my doe. I did hit hit a little back as I thought, but the quartering away angle saved me. This deer was probably down for the count within a few minutes of being shot. It is always a relief to see the animal at the end of the blood trail, especially on a questionable hit. Here are a few pics of my doe.

This is our guide Gary with me in this pic:

Well, all in all, this was one of the greatest hunts I have ever been on. I actually had shots at all the animals to make the "Solana Slam" that Curt mentioned earlier. Even with the "Comedy of Errors" in my own performance. The ranch is fantastic, the food wonderful, and the fellowship immeasurable!!!! I can't wait for next year!

Bisch

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
Awesome stuff guys!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
Well shes a beauty Bisch, congrats. Hope your luck gets back on track soon, Im sure it will.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
It was pretty nice of that deer to go down where she did.  She died right at the bottom of the hill in the background, along the fence, and about 20 yards from the road.  It was fun being in on the tracking job.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Brian, Congrats again on the turk...the video is very cool!

Bisch, way to hang in there bud...pretty doe!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
Bisch,

Way to hang in there through all of your comedy of errors as you say,LOL. I knew you would do it.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Congrats Bisch!
James Kerr

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
I had several shot "opportunities" presented at the ranch.  When I finally started shooting at knee level, I thought I was golden...

On one of the latter trips to the trees that week, I was taken to a tall stand that looked like a sho-nuff gooden.  

Shortly after the truck left I seen a lone doe poke her nose out then right back to the woods she went.  An hour or so later a button buck and doe fed my way.  Now mind you, you have to shoot low on a deer when hunting 25+ feet in a tree, you also have to shoot low when hunting at Solana.  This left me in a pridicament.  Where to shoot?

I thought I would try just below the knees.  So I picked a rock out and focused... At the slip of the string everything looked perfect, but in a milisecond that changed.  I picked a rock just below the knees and shot over her back.  I know it was due to the jump of the string combined with the steep angle, but it was a clean miss.

I got back to camp and started dinner.  Terry came over and started asking about the hunt.  I explained what had happened.  He said "Nathan, when your that high and these deer are that wired, you just have to shoot beside them.  They'll usually move into it".

I know that sounds crazy to anyone that has not been in the situation, but I do believe he was 100% right...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Well, I see a lot of the early stuff has been covered already... I just want to say, this hunt is so great for a number of reasons... but, I think the people are the #1 reason for me.  Seeing old friends, and meeting new ones is second to none for me...  Especially when we all know we have a very common interest/passion which is traditional bowhunting.  Well enough of that... Sum it up with GREAT HUNT! As always!

First day, new stand I have never been in before on the ranch.  Actually about 100 yards away from the feeder in a "staging" area...  Robert put the corn out and was off... I could still hear his truck in the distance and I had a doe and two yearlings walk right under my stand and out into the area he had just put feed out in...  They were not the first!

I've become reserved to shoot a buck then go after does, hogs, turkeys, etc, etc...  So, I've gone a few years without shooting anything on this hunt, but I'm fine with it.  I've seen 2 or 3 bucks over the years that are great bucks so when I see good bucks I tend to let them walk looking for a great one...  I realize the odds are against me, but I try for them none the less...

So, back to this first evening hunt... Pretty much since Robert left the area I've been watching anywhere from 3 to 15 deer feeding on corn from 10 to 30 yards from me... The feeder up the way went off at 4:30 and 5:00 and a few of the deer mosied up that way, but then came right back... A little after the feeder went off the second time,I heard pigs up that way... 5 large hogs moved into the feeder and grunted and sqeeled their way through the feed up at the feeder...  To this point I haven't seen a buck one other then buttons...  Then he stepped out...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
I've been going to this ranch since before TradGang was started.  As a matter of fact, TradGang was spawned at Solana ranch.

Every year I've ridden in David's truck and have so many memories I can't keep up with them....from kills, hunts, and laughter!!!

The guides all have their own areas, so I haven't seen a good portion of the ranch or views from other stands....so this year I decided i wanted to see more of the ranch and I chose to ride with John, David's brother.  A man who says a lot but with less words.  

I really enjoyed ridding with John, and seeing so much more of the ranch and the 'new stands' that awaited me.

On our way out the 1st day I pointed out the "Killin Tree"...a legendary stand on the ranch known for and named properly for the taking of so many big bucks.  I'd taken two from it myself.  A nice 8 point on my Birthday a few years back, as well as a 10 pointer.  

I've shared pics a few times from the stand of this towering live oak but never from the ground.  It's larger than it looks, the width takes away from its height, but trust me, its full grown.

Hope you enjoy the pics.....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Saturday night was a pretty fun hunt as well.  Gary put me in the blind that the "buck magnet" bornagainbowhunter had seen several bucks from.  Gary knew I had my heart set on a deer, especially a buck.  

As far as stands go, it was very comfortable, and there was a nice view.  Unfortunately, since Nathan wasn't there the bucks decided to stay away.  I did see a nice, heavy 8 about 100 yards away.  He looked up into the hide, and left when he didn't see Nathan....

Hogs started to come at at dusk, and this time I had a broadhead ready to go.  I picked one out about 7 yards away and let the arrow go to work.

Sparks flew from the 175gr. Tiger Shark as it exited the hog and hit rock on the far side.  I could hear the arrow clanking off the brush and cactus as he barreled up the hillside.  A few seconds later I hear what I thought was probably a pig giving up the ghost.

Gary wanted to wait until after the morning hunt to track the pig so we wouldn't blow out the stand for the next day.  We found some blood at the impact site and headed back to the ranch for the famous steak night.  Thoughts of the Solana Slam were still alive.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Already told you about my dark thirty airball on hog. The week flew by sighting many deer but not 'the one'. Quite a few young bucks, up and comers, teased me but I was steadfast to hold out for a goodin'.

Friday morning sit found me in a elevated box blind with turkeys gobbling there heads off all around. At fly down it got very loud with all the wing beats. They hit the ground about 100yds out from the feeder. A pile of jakes and 8 goblers strutting. Jakes made there way to the feeder twice and several got 12 yds away but I was holding out for a tom. Well they did not come close enough. Wonderful time. Had the jakes in and out and all around all morning and when Gary come to get me a lone hunter slipped out of the truck stalked up to them and...

shoot straight shoot often

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
My 1st stand was a 'carpet blind'....cool, I'm in the carpet buiz....

And the new views of 'The Shell' pasture were beautiful and there was exitment about the 'new to me' stand.

Here's a little clip ...... click the image ...

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©