INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD  (Read 18739 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD
« Reply #420 on: January 21, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Congrats again bud! Nothing like a squealer to start off the trip.

But this was only day one   :saywhat:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #421 on: January 21, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Congrats again Michael!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #422 on: January 21, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
No shots between the eyes? You're losing your touch.    :biglaugh:  

Great stuff.  Keep it coming.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #423 on: January 22, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Congrats Michael.

Just a note, got my brother's bow back from the ranch today. I was horrified when they brought out the PVC tube it was packed in. The Postal Service had managed to snap the end of the tube clean off about 4" from the end. Well the bow was fine, good thing the tube was longer than the bow. First time I have had that happen.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #424 on: January 22, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Danny that is a beautiful bow. I wanted to shoot it but Bisch had nabbed it and was so fired up to hunt with it that it didn't feel right. He must have shot it for an hour or so and was hitting the bullseye every time. I was so sure he was going to nail something with it but such is Solana.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #425 on: January 22, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Danny I sure enjoyed shooting that bow!  I've never had my hands on a Schafer before, and it was as awesome as I had imagined they would be.  I appreciate the opportunity to shoot it.

« Reply #426 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Danny Rowan:
Congrats Michael.

Just a note, got my brother's bow back from the ranch today. I was horrified when they brought out the PVC tube it was packed in. The Postal Service had managed to snap the end of the tube clean off about 4" from the end. Well the bow was fine, good thing the tube was longer than the bow. First time I have had that happen.
Whew! I was getting scared as I began to read this post. I'm sure glad the bow was not damaged.

Bisch

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #427 on: January 23, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Bisch,

When I saw the tube, I almost collapsed, I removed the bow right there and inspected it in front of the Post Office Clerk. I was amazed that the bow was even still in the tube with the end snapped off like that just hanging by tape. Guess Bubba was watching over it for me on the trip home. Took the bow almost three weeks to get there via Priority Mail and about 4 days for the return trip, go figure.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #428 on: January 23, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
I shot the bow several times myself.  First Schafer I ever put my hands on.  Very nice and well mannered bow.  Thank you for letting us enjoy it and the meaning behind it.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #429 on: January 23, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
I knew there had to be more
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #430 on: January 27, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
congrats to all the trad gang attendees of the solana 2013 hunt!  can't wait for next year!!  

special recognition to ol' Hog Killer Woods, who showed us all just how to git 'er done.   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #431 on: February 03, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
Okay, now that everyone has had the chance to tell their stories of the hunt, I'm going to tell my sad tale of woe. I went to Colorado for Christmas vacation with my daughter, her new husband, and my wife to visit my son, his wife, and his six month old daughter (my first grandchild) who live in Colorado Springs. We all went up into the mountains for a few days and spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day celebrating the birth of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. My daughter and son-in-law unfortunately had some virus that they brought along, and my biggest Christmas present was a hefty dose of the virus that struck me down on Christmas morning. I was sick the rest of the trip but took things easy and got plenty of rest, liquids, over-the-counter drugs, etc. By December 30 when we flew back to Oklahoma City, I was doing much better. On December 31, I got some work done, saw other family, packed my gear, and got mostly ready to go to the Solana Ranch. I awoke on January 1, 2013, feeling better and thinking I would be fine for the hunt I was so eager to attend again. After a busy morning of final preparation and wrapping up matters at home, I finally hit the road for the 6 hour drive to Salado, Texas.

As I neared Salado, I got myself worked up for the tasty barbeque dinner that had been planned for weeks. I finally got to the turnoff and made the short drive from the interstate to the restaurant, only to see upon my arrival that it was closed. I pulled up Terry Green's mobile number and put in a call to see where everyone was. They were all at the Mexican restaurant down the street where I joined them minutes later to find the party in full swing. After a good meal and warm greetings of friends old and new, we paid our bills, jumped in our vehicles and headed to the ranch. It wasn't long before we arrived and I claimed my bunk below Gregg Dudley and across from Brian and Bisch who occupied the small room with me. I had never met Brian and Bisch, although I had seen their posts. What a great couple of guys. In the next room was Jeff Berberick, sleeping by himself in the most open area, with most of the other guys lodged on the other side of the bunkhouse. I was certainly glad to be there with everyone.

The following morning was breakfast in the diner on the interstate service road and then a trip to the local Wal-Mart to pick up a few odds and ends, like an extra blanket for my bed and some hangers to turn my bottom bunk into a closet, with clothes all around me on hangers hooked on the wire framing supporting the mattress of Gregg's bed above me. I have to say that everything was set up well with my bow, arrows, broadheads, quiver, clothes, living quarters, and other essentials. And did I mention how good the food was?!?

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #432 on: February 03, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Allan, I just have to bust your chops a bit.  Now I know that you were sick and all, but that knocking point you tied on for me, you know the one that was supposed to last forever?  Well, it started to come untied the next day!  Nathan and I were cracking up at that one.  I'm chalking it up to your illness!     :biglaugh:  

It was great getting to know you, too bad you weren't feeling better so you could have stayed for the duration.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #433 on: February 03, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
As everyone knows, Terry Green had shipped a huge cooler filled with most of his hunting gear, and the cooler had gone AWOL. After much anguish and waiting to hear good news, all appeared to be lost, so Terry loaded up a new set of gear and arrived ready to go. Then, shortly after arriving at the ranch, the cooler appeared unannounced. With great joy, all of us congratulated Terry on the return of the prodigal cooler and marveled at all the extra gear that he would have at his disposal, especially all the heavy woolen clothing that would keep him warm.

On to the hunting. I was teamed with three other gentlemen in Robert's truck. They were Jeff Berberick, Carlton Carter (both of whom I already knew), and Bob McMahan who is a Helle of a guy (pardon the pun, but Bob used to be a distributor for Helle knives). I was one of the last ones dropped off on the first morning hunt. Almost immediately, I saw a bunch of small bucks -- four forkhorns, a spike, and one small eight point. They came in, left, and then came back as the early morning passed. Not too long before pickup time, I heard some noise behind me and looked over my shoulder to see a doe coming in to feed. I had determined to shoot the first decent doe who presented herself for a shot, so I started getting myself positioned for the opportunity to loose an arrow at this female or one of her companions whom I could hear but not yet see. Shortly, I heard another deer coming in and looked through a shooting lane to see a big seven point who was definitely worthy of receiving the pointy end of one of my arrows. Unfortunately, there were two of the forkhorns only feet from the base of my tree who would sound the alarm at my slightest movement or noise, so I resisted the urge to swivel my seat and draw on the big seven point. Seconds later, I heard the snort of a doe behind me where she had inhaled the scent of my disgustingly humanoid body. The white flags all rose at their rears as the deer below me trotted away in alarm. So much for the first hunt. I climbed down weakly from my stand feeling chilled to the bone through my seemingly ample clothing. It was a good morning, except that I wasn't feeling as well as I thought I would. I told myself I just needed another layer of warm clothing and would be fine.

It is always great to get back to the comradery of camp, especially when a delicious, hot meal awaits me. That's exactly what I found as Robert and my three fellow hunters pulled into camp. We ate hardy and spent the early afternoon enjoying one another's company and fellowship. The time passed quickly and soon the call came to load up for the evening hunt. I went to the same stand as that morning and quickly saw some of my small, male visitors from that morning coming in to feed. Unfortunately, although they stayed for long enough to shoot any one of them, none of them made me even begin to think of shooting because of their diminutive size. I did see a LARGE ten point pass quickly through an opening about a third of a mile north of my stand, but he never gave a thought to passing near me. I was miserable from the cold air, even though I had put on a second pair of long underwear and another button up shirt, in addition to all the other clothing I had worn in the morning. It seemed I couldn't stay warm. As the truck pulled up, I was already out of my stand and was not feeling well. I was the first one back in the truck with Robert as we headed over to pick up the other guys. When we reached Jeff Berberick, we found out he had taken a shot at a nice buck and had connected. However, when the arrow was located, it had a distinctly disgusting smell, indicating a hit too far towards the back end of the animal. You've all read Jeff's account, so I'll leave my story here. After picking up the others, we went "home" for a hearty dinner.

It was hard to nod off that night, and I was already a bit sleep deprived and not feeling well. I was still taking medication and getting worse. As sleep was just about upon me, I was concerned about how I would feel in the morning.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Brian,

I am sorry about the nocking point. One of the things I discovered was that the kind of serving you had (which I also had some of but had never used) simply wouldn't hold on to itself with the kind of whip finish I am used to applying. I tied some of that same serving like yours on the string of a bow I bought for Christmas for the eight year old son of my partner, and the nocking point came off of his string very quickly too. I had been using different serving materials that worked very well in that application. I have now found that the use of clear fingernail polish, fly-tying head finish, or super glue is needed to keep serving material like yours in place. I wish I had used my other serving on your string to make the nocking point because mine DO stay on permanently!!!!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #435 on: February 03, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
No problem, I was just looking for something to harass you about!  I'm looking forward to sharing camp with you again.  You know, for a while there several of us thought that you were actually dead in your bunk.  We voted and decided that we wouldn't do anything until AFTER we got done with the morning hunt!     :biglaugh:

« Reply #436 on: February 03, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
You are a cruel, but funny man, Brian!!   :bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:  

It was nice meeting you Allan! I was surprised that you had left when the other guys told me. Sorry it went down that way and I hope we get to share a camp in the future.

Bisch

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #437 on: February 03, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
As everyone has heard, Thursday morning brought rain, so I stayed in bed and tried to get feeling better with some extra sleep. I finally woke up and went to get some breakfast and visit with everyone. I never lost my appetite, and when lunch rolled around, I got my fill of food again. Talking with all the good folks in camp was such a treat, especially my fellow TradGangers. I relished every story and enjoyed seeing every killed animal as it was proudly displayed by the man who had hunted it and his guide. One of those men was a very youthful one, yet he was skilled and exuberant. That is Master Woods, of course. Woods hog was one of the first kills, and one of the best appreciated by all my fellow archers. It's good to see the young in age hunting side-by-side with the young at heart.

Again, it seemed like no time at all before the guides were rounding up their hunters. I was the last of my group to get ready, and they had to drive to the bunkhouse to hurry me along as the final member of the group. That evening I was to be placed in a high stand that Bob had occupied before that presented nearly impossible shooting options for a lefty like him. I found myself getting immediately chilled and uncomfortable, which was enhanced by the total lack of any animals moving, despite the feeder dispensing corn twice as I sat there waiting for a shooting opportunity. Time dragged on as I felt myself becoming unstable and wobbly. Finally, as the light dimmed past the point of being able to shoot, I carefully managed to climb out of the stand with difficulty and then sat uncomfortably on the ground, waiting for Robert's truck to appear. I loaded up as we headed to Jeff's location. He had shot at a pig, and we found his clean arrow with the tip of the broadhead slightly damaged. Jeff mentioned that he had created a small fireworks display with the sparks flying as his arrow ricocheted off a rock.

When we reached the tree where I had hunted both times the day before, Carlton told us he had shot a doe after seeing a multitude of deer. As we began the search for blood, most of us had doubts that Carlton had hit the deer as well as he thought he had. We searched extensively before the first drop of blood was found. Then we painstakingly began the arduous task of pick apart the ground, finding specks of blood on bits of grass or on the white stones that dotted the earth. With every new sighting of blood, we marked the direction the doe appeared to have taken, wondering if we would ever see another dot of blood, much less the whole animal. Robert predicted we might find the doe near the fence that was located along the general line the blood sightings were taking us. Some of the flashlights were dimming from the long tracking job, but we never stopped. Suddenly, a light fell on a white belly up ahead, and there she was! Upon examination, it was quickly seen that Carlton had hit the doe perfectly through both shoulders, just as he had first told us he thought had happened. It was a great shot! But I was dying and could hardly wait to get back to the truck and sit down.

At dinner that night I determined that I was very sick again and needed to get home and resign myself to taking the time to properly heal. The next morning I packed up, settled my bill with Peanut, said goodbyes to the guys who were nearby, then hit the road for Oklahoma City. The worst of my problems hit me over the next few days, with the most unpleasant being the bronchitis that caused significant chest pain. Recovery to the point I felt okay took about a week, but I'm still coughing and congested more than six weeks since I first contracted the virus.

This wasn't the best hunt of my life, nor is it one I want to remember much for how well I did or felt. But I do cherish the times I spend with my buddies, the ones I knew before, and the friends I made this time around. I'm sure there are traditional archery hunters whom I wouldn't want to be around, but so far I haven't met them, and every TradGanger I have ever known is someone I look forward to sharing a hunting camp with again someday. Hopefully, I won't be the sick guy in camp next time. Thanks to all the wonderful guys there for a great time despite my illness and failure to even take a shot at game.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #438 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Brian,

I saw the way you were looking lustfully at my beautiful Shrew Classic Hunter with the sweet little EFA quiver attached. Admit it -- there was a part of you that was HOPING I was dead so you could get your hands on that amazing equipment! HAHAHAHA! It was great to bunk with you, Bisch and Gregg (in separate bunks, of course). I got some darn nice roommates on this hunt. If only I could have been there for the whole time! I'm looking forward to seeing you guys on future hunts. Maybe I can share some of your successes and bring in some dead game myself next time. Congratulations on your kills. That makes me happy.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #439 on: February 03, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Bisch,

I always heard what a good guy you are, but I was pleasantly surprised when all the hype turned out to be true. Thanks for being a good roomie and not snoring a lot.    :D  I'll see you again soon in another hunting camp, I hope.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©