INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD  (Read 19312 times)

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OFFICIAL 2013 SOLANA RANCH HUNT THREAD
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Great stuff guys   :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
This place was beautiful.  Here are some random pics from the trip.

But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Didn't take long for deer to show up.  See if this works...  click the pic.

MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Everyone's got their hands in their pockets, what were the temps?
I think in the 30s on that day.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
:coffee:     :coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
The days were cold and wet.  Maybe in the 30s and low 40s for the first few days.

After shooting at and m-m-m-m-missing the first doe, my confidence was not shaken at all.  You see I was advised to pick a rock that was below the deer and shoot at that.  I did and I hit the rock.  It was not like my shooting was off, it was just that I was shooting a moving target, and incredibly fast moving target.  

These deer were taught by none other than Neo from the Matrix movie.

The second deer I shot AT was way closer, about 11 yards.  I thought I would pick another rock about the same distance under the doe because she was so close.  Well, I hit that rock also.  I almost made contact with her back...

This is what those critters looked like when you dropped the string.

Good thing I don't give up that easily...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
Being the handy redneck I am, I devised a plan.  You see, the next time I got in the stand there were 2 does and 2 bucks feeding.  One of the does was directly behind the other.  Both were broadside and this made smile.  

I got to thinking.  If I pick a spot on the closest doe about 6" under her, when she ducks, I will hit the one behind her.  If she don't duck, I will hit her. Perfect.

The only problem was the 2 bucks.  Both were 8s, one about 105" and the other about 115". They kept running off the does. Every time the situation would be ready to pull off my plan, one of the bucks would charge in, scaring the does away.  Soon it would be dark. No shot that evening.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
The next morning was going to be different.  I had some pigs skirt me before daylight.  It was looking good.  I had deer all over me.  I know the iphone vids stink, but I did take one.  I watched this for about 30-45 seconds before it dawned on me to record it.  I know its short, but they scared some does my way...

Click on the pic to watch the video of a couple of buck fighting.  They were hard at it.

The biggest one in this fight was only about 105".  There were 5 bucks there and all came within 10ish yards of my stand.  

There were also 2 does and a bb.  Long story short, one of the does happened to get real close.  Drawing from the first 2 experiences, I picked a spot to shoot at level with her KNEES!!
At the drop of the string, she made her move.  She was not fast enough that day.  I hit her high and a bit far back for my liking, but it was solid.  She ran about 30 yards and looked back at the others to see what had happened.  By that time she go the shaky knees, done a backflip, and it was over.

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Yes, it was a grand time, getting to see all the guys I had met before, and meeting the ones I had not met before. The first evening hunt was enough to make me sure that the week was going to be a good one. That first evening I saw several does and small bucks. I was really wanting to shoot does on this hunt. Just as the deer were starting to get in the right area for me to think I might get a shot off, every deer head there swung up in unison and they all ran off. I live very close to Solana and hunt quite a bit in this area. I knew what that meant PIGS! Shortly after the deer hastened off, in came a gaggle of pigs. Most were fairly small, about 50-60 pounds, but there was 2 really nice sows in the bunch and I immediately decided to try for one of them. When a big group comes in, they are all competeing to get to the food, so they are not in a still position very long. One of the sows made it in front of me at about 13yds and I drew back, picked a spot, and let loose the string. WHOOPS!!!!! All this talk of aiming low on the matrix deer that Nathan was talking about must have stuck in my brain. Arrow hit the dirt just under the sow and they all took off out of there. That was it for my first hunt. Nothing brought back to the meat pole but man I had a great time and saw a ton of critters.

Here is what the view was from that first evening on stand:

Bisch

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
First day at the ranch for me was Wednesday, after picking up Rob at the airport. We had a great chat on the way to Solana, getting there in time for the start of the hunting.  I was really hoping to get my first traditional harvest while on this trip, as I've been trying for a few years.

This trip had many firsts, and a paid, guided trip was among them.  I really didn't know what to expect, other than to see a whole lot more game than I'm used to seeing.  I was not disappointed!

Nathan(Bornagainbowhunter) Bisch, and Gary (Katman) rounded out the crew in our guide Gary's truck.  I soon found out that I was keeping company with some very experienced and successful hunters, and was trying to soak in as much info as I could.  

Anticipation for the afternoon hunt was nearly killing me as we all layered up, put on the camo, and started piling in the trucks.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Here's a shot of my view from the stand Wednesday evening.    

[/url] [/IMG]  

I had a young 8pt. come in pretty early, along with a little narrow 6.  One of the many button bucks made an appearance and offered many shots.  Later in the afternoon a pretty nice 8 moseyed by about 70 yards out, being careful to keep his distance.  A doe and another button buck came in as well, and she was wired!  She seemed to pretend to eat, then pop her head up and stare holes into me as the little guy chowed down without a care in the world.

The deer knew exactly where the stands were, and came in looking up.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Right before dark I started to hear pigs off to my left.  I've never had any experience with pigs before, so I was pretty excited when I saw them coming in.  

There were a bunch of cedars and brush to my left, and the pigs came in through the thickest of it, never giving me an open window to shoot through.  Most of them were probably in the 50 pound range, and every one of them looked identical, all black. There were probably around 15 of them, and it was getting hard to distinguish one from another due to the fading light.

They finally went out to the corn, and were in constant motion, which I learned is the norm.  I picked one out about 10 yards away and began to lift my bow, but they all started dead away from me before I could draw.  It was a quick "drive by" snack for them I guess.  No shots on Wednesday, but a great day regardless.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »

This is the forward view from the hide my first evening hunt, you saw the rear facing view with the sunset earlier. Was in a fairly tall ladder stand with two shooting holes cut out of the ever present thick brush. Lots of game  spotted the first sit so was encouraged the week would be good for all. Saw 3 button bucks, 2 7 pts and an 8 pt. and they were all wired except the bb. At about dark thirty a pack of hogs ran in and started hoovering up the remaining corn. Our guide had told us to shoot the hogs, well I tried but in the fading light I got an air ball over ones back. Great sit and a good meal and the story exchanging at diner was super.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
What a great trip! After meeting most everyone, having a great meal at the Mexican restaurant, then a good breakfast the following morning, I knew this would be a great experience.
The first afternoon hunt I was paired with Terry, Rob, Gregg, Jeff and our guide John. First to be dropped off I climbed the ladder stand, got ready and surveyed my surroundings, beautiful area. It didn't take very long before 6 small pigs came in and started to feed but as quick as they arrived they vanished. That was fine by me I kinda wanted a doe for some meat anyway, Yeah Right!
About a half hour past when I spotted a single deer coming in, it was a button. As i watched him feed he was soon joined by a couple of yearlings and things started getting busy. Several deer came in from all directions as I listened to the crunching of the corn. Moving so slowly I surveyed my surroundings when I spotted her, the monarch about 40 yards behind some cedars. She started working her way in to the edge of the feed, she began to feed when a mocking bird decided he needed a drink of water on top of the feeder, they all bolted. Man they're quick, I would soon find out how quick.
This went on several times till the bird had enough to drink, then they settled in on some serious eating. She was moving in on my window bow in hand, telling myself, bend at the waist, anchor, and shoot low. The doe is right as I start to draw so slow, my thumb sliding along my jaw till it hits my ear, spot picked and dropped to the bottom of her belly. As I released I knew she was mine, bow still up I watched as she ducked and rolled and my yellow fletching sailed over her back by a foot. As a smile came across my face I couldn't believe the speed I had just witnessed, the monarch would live another day.
My story was told in the truck and then several times back at the camp as I listened to others with a similar outcome. As I lay in bed listening to the Gatekeeper (Tom) falling to a deep sleep, I was so thankful to have a wonderful day as this.
I didn't bring home any meat but yet I had an extremely wonderful hunt and got to met some of best people one could hope met.
Conny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
This hunt held a couple firsts for me, also.  It was the first paid hunt I have ever been on, the first guided hunt, the first feeder hunt, and I killed my first animal with a recurve.  I have been a longbow shooter for the past 12ish years and have killed many animals with them, but never with a recurve.  This was also my first big group hunt.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time with these fine gents...

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
Danny,

Bisch hunted with Donald's bow one day....I'll let him tell the story.

I have footage of the Broadhead Memorial we did...and I'll post that in the thread soon.  Hopefully tomorrow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
I'd like to thank everyone for coming.  Seeing old friends and making new ones is one of the memorable treats of hunts like this.  And I like to see folks enjoy themselves as I have for years at this ranch.

It is truly a special place.....   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Man O Man…what a crazy, fun hunt!  

For this “out West” guy this was about as strange as aliens landing on my roof and coming in for dinner.

I knew I would fit right in after meeting Gregg and his funny little fur hat.  My personality type in new situations is to mostly observe and I sure did a lot of that.

Katman rented a car and we met up at the Austin airport.  What a nice guy!  After getting lost, only a little bit, we made it to the ranch. We shared a room and he gave me some lessons in this type of hunting.

Our first afternoon hunt I got a few looks as I tossed my gear in the truck.  Just the normal stuff in my pack, survival necessities, GPS, compass, water system, extra clothes, first aid…you know the normal stuff you take on a hunting trip.  And of course, my 64” Blacktail bow.  THEN I realized I was the ONLY guy with a pack.  It was just the start of my learning curve.

Each truck had, on the front a smallish barrel, I guess about 10 gallons or so.  Strange enough for sure.  After we dropped the first guy off at his stand, I noticed small bugs darting about the front of the truck.   Too cold for much insect life…wait a minute…that’s corn flying out from the bucket!  Of course, I have read about hunting Texas style but to be there and see that.  Reading and doing are two different things.

When they drop you off at your stand you might as well be wearing your house slippers.  It’s all of five or six steps from the truck.  Hard hunting for sure!  

At my tripod I got settled in, and sure enough I had action real quick.  Four real long legged smallish German Sheppard’s wandered into my feeder and started in on the corn.  Can’t be, dogs eating corn.  Hey, their tails are all wrong!  Damn, those are deer!  And thus my introduction to Texas whitetails, itty bitty little things.  We can’t be shooting those.  But we were, or at least tried to.

Sitting there, slacked jawed mouth agape taking it all in…and then the feeder went off!  Holy smokes, just how I didn’t mess my pants is still a surprise, well, mess them too badly is probably more truthful.  The deer didn’t move at all.  Just kept on feeding.  Wow I thought, if I am supposed to shoot those, this a walk in the park.  I raised my bow just a bit and the limb just barely touched an offending branch and I found myself all alone in about a tenth of a second.  They say aim low, I can’t even get my bow ready to draw.  Not so easy after all!

Shortly thereafter here comes a really nice boar.  He’s alone and I can see his cutters 50 yards out.  Now pigs I know a little something about.  Half blind, hearing is so-so, good nose.  Ought to be easy.  Well it wasn’t!  Animals coming to the feeder are wired so incredibly tight and I learned that lesson more than twice.  

I was really looking forward to the “new” type of hunting and most importantly meeting all of the Trad Gang guys, particularly Rob and Terry.  Rob built my website when I owned Helle knives.  I “met” Terry before he started TG and was really looking forward to shaking his hand.  Both true gentlemen as all of the guys were.  Not a bad seed in the bunch.

It was a great fun trip.  As a “newbie” I was made to feel at home, learned tons and I am going back next year.  Thanks to all!
Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
I'll have to second the statement on the feeder noise.  I had never heard one go off before, and I nearly fell out of the tripod the first time it went off.  The second time wasn't as bad, but I still jumped!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:  great stuff so far!!!!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©