3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blessings of THE GREAT HUNT-pics added page 5  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blessings of THE GREAT HUNT-pics added page 5
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
Chad... Vance said to tell you he went up that tree like a squirrel!!... and he sure did. I got it set up and he said, "let me try that". I think he's had a light go off about the use of trees stands. Sees the value of them out here.

Yes, I've made a few lefties, but don't like to...how the heck  do I know when I get the grip correct?

We had an interesting day today. I spent a very uneventful morning and early afternoon in a blind near a waterhole that I figured couldn't fail. WRONG!!!
I saw absolutely zero antelope. Altogether action was pretty slow on the ranch.

This afternoon Vance tripped or something going down a couple of steps. Something popped in his foot and after a trip to the Dr. he's home and hobbling around on crutches.

No worse for wear... maybe a hairline fracture of one of the long bones of his right foot. Some swelling and a little discoleration.

He'll be manning a Double Bull when he is able to get out at all.

Tomorrow we pick up Terry in Jackson so it'll be a non hunting day except for possibly getting out a little tomorrow evening. We'll have to see.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Chadrak....Like a squirrel  :scared:    :scared:  

Lam"o" is fast but from Tree stand to the ground with a TIMER.....That's just plain Cold BUD  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Glad to see he is getting used to them. He should be ready for some more eastern whitetails in no time. Tell him to be careful on them steps, don't want him to break a hip. I hear that happens to ya when ya get old!  :smileystooges:    :D
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
Looks like we posted at the same time. I got a walker you can borrow if ya need it. Glad to help in any way i can.  :bigsmyl:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
Badgers make geat hats. That tree stand in them pines looks very inviting.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
I guess you in the Double Bull could be called "a bear in a china cabinet". Ask me if I'm surprised somethinhg got broke. The only thing that surprises me more is the fact that Vance didn't have half the broken part in his hand.  :D  

And, he had a broken part but his was more painful. Call Mike at Mikes Archery Leather. He built me a pouch for my crutches a few years ago. I hunted just fine off crutches. Heal well my friend! CK

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Keep it coming Charlie, I always enjoy it when you head out west and share with us.

CK,

Ask me if I'm surprised somethinhg got broke.
LOL, yep that pretty much describes a lot of my hunts too...

RayMO

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
That's cool Charlie, hopefully somehwhere down the trail I'll get to shoot a Sunbear,sure are purdy!

Vance, Take it easy Mr.,hope you heal quick my brother   :thumbsup:  

How about  little pic of Cade to make you feel better....

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
Ok I'm here in your defense Vance, look who's calling who old   :knothead:   's. And seems some of them already needed crutches in the past   :D  
You where probably just dancing coming down the stairs, with delight, thinking about that airmail package coming in today. With random thoughts of just what was inside the box. When your thoughts turned to cheese, you tripped over the block. See you are not clumsy, just deep in thought. Along with Terry arriving also by plane today. Going through your list of things to do to be the great host that you are. It was probably you just coming down from your lofty high step of joy.

Ok where over that, that was all the excuses I could come up with in your defense!

Now all I can say is, I hope you feel better. And you better heal fast!!!!! Theres hunting to be done. I just hope Charlie and Terry don't have to strap you to a two wheel deer cart, ta get you in and out of the hills   :D   All though if they do, we all want pictures   :thumbsup:  

Brent

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Thanks FRIENDS, We're almost better this mornin. It's drizzlin here now so perhaps today off it may work.

I've sent for a BOW BEARER...Hope he got the Smoke Signal  :goldtooth:  Thanks CURT

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Chad... I don't think Vance needs a walker. He had one a few weeks ago and I'm not sure it helped!  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
Charlie, Don't let Vance laze around the barn. Bute him & use him, he's done that to plenty of horses  :D

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Vance will be riding around in a golf cart before you know it.    :D
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
Filler on a rainy day...

I feel compelled to address our antelope hunting situation out here. To say the least, it's different.

Most of us think of antelope hunting as setting up residence in a blind of some sort, strategically placed near a waterhole that's visited daily by hordes of the black horned beasts... That's exactly the way my last antelope hunt near Casper was and what's you'll get most of the time in eastern Wyoming and most of Colorado.

Things go differently in the western part of Wyoming...or at least this part of western Wyoming.

Waterhole hunting works here. It will anywhere there is a scarcity of water. It's just not that dependable here.

Since we've gotten some recent and pretty heavy rains over the last couple of weeks, there are standing pools of water in places that haven't seen water in years.

Lets just say it's unpredictable at best.

The strategy is, as it has been since I've been hunting out here, to make the best of the situation.
What does that mean? Well, it means keeping eyes open for patterns.

For instance...we know that one group of goats likes to stroll right down the middle of a ranch access road. Especially in the afternoon when they are leaving the ranch.

Cover is sparse at best, but there are a couple of "washes" that could provide cover for a well camoed bowman.

Then there is this one little fenced in field that the goats like to frequent. They seem to come at random and don't stay long. Getting there in time to sneak on them is the challenge.

Of course we've been watching the boulder pile. They really like feeding in the gap between it and the hay stack yard.
Of course once I started hunting the spot they seemed to shift to the other end of the stack yard.

It is a little different this year. Last year (with no permit) there were antelope trading back and forth over the entire ranch. Every pasture seemed to hold a half dozen. Not so this year... and we don't know why.

Stalking gets the nod for a large portion of the hunting opportunities.
Ever try to stalk an antelope? As tough as it gets!

Especially if you're overweight and less than flexible.

Most often the stalk ends with the antelope never even knowing you were there. They'll often just pick up stakes and move to who knows where. right in the middle of what you are doing.

It happened to me just last night.

I did move on one other group late yesterday afternoon.
On the way in from the Dr. I spotted a group of does and fawns not far from the road with plenty of cover between us.

Pulling the truck down the road and out of sight I returned to the area and found them contentedly feeding.... when you look closely at the places they feed you have to wonder what the hell they're eating. It looks pretty sparse to me.

The sun was low, but not so much so that I could use it for the old "low sun gambit" and I eased up over a rise to find the antelope standing watching my direction at 50 yds.

I knew it was over at first peak. They added insult to the situation by slowly feeding away from me.

Tomorrow is the first day of deer season here and if there isn't a horde of people up on forest Terry and I will be after them... hell, we'll be after them anyway.   :wavey:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
LOL

Especially if you're overweight and less than flexible.

That would be me  :D  Thanks for the update!

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
That video of Cade is too cool. I couldn't hear what he said at the end but the hand motion is priceless!

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
charlie that sounds like goat huntin' around here, have ya tried your decoy yet?

Hunt On!!  :campfire:
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
get better quick vance glad to see i am not the only one that does stupid things.  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :D
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Vance, You're welcome bud...he sure enjoys seeing pics of your place    :thumbsup:

Charlie, I know what you mean about sneakin' on antelope,about as tough as it gets!!!!
I have a really good feeling about your hunt this year   :pray:

Thanx Darke
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »
Mule deer season opens in the AM......wonder what's going on???????????

:readit:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©