3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blessings of THE GREAT HUNT-pics added page 5  (Read 5365 times)

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blessings of THE GREAT HUNT-pics added page 5
« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
You can do it!
Good Luck Charlie!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: September 15, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
Gone for a week and come back to this fine treat of a hunt tale. You are a true wordsmith as well as a fine hunting companion. Keep after em Charlie, couple hours of daylight left. Never had 'lope tag soup ('cause I never had a tag), but I'm sending shoot straight vibes your way so you won't have to tell us how it tastes.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
Now where is the update? I think they killed something cause i called after dark and didn't get an awnser. Must be dragging one!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
C'mon guys, what happened???   :archer:  

Didja get one? Didja, didja?  :D  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
I think they killed something cause i called after dark and didn't get an awnser.
Boy are you way off Chad. They are old guys! They go to sleep as soon as darkness even threatens to fall.   :goldtooth:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Ah! The natives are restless.  :campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Feeling pretty good this morning after a nice nights rest.
Vance and I stayed up way late last night after our busy day and finally as darkness was threatening to fall we wandered off to our rooms.

Actually Vance has been very busy doing what he does for a living. Ten owners and guests arrived Friday and they are a bit demanding of his time... like many, they like his company.

I've been on my own and trying not to let any grass grow under my feet.

I went down the crik early yesterday to see what was happening. What I might find could make a difference in the days plans.

Easing down the draw toward the old corrals, I surprised a large group of antelope which had been feeding below my range of vision.

They weren't wildly uncooperative...I don't think they ever reached 60 mph. It was obvious that they weren't petting zoo candidates.

Down across the bridge I went and out into the flats to see what I could see and found nothing.
Nada, zip, zero!!
A lone jackrabbit hopped and skipped his way across the short grass meadows out there where I couldn't hope to get an arrow in him.... and that was it.

I headed back up the draw to my Double Bull and decided it would be good to move it to the new location and hunt that place until the cows came home.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
Tear down was simple enough. It took more time to clean up the little mess I had inside it than it did to take it down and pack it away.

I looked real hard one more time for my missing shooting glove to no avail. When the ground where the blind had sat was as clean as a whistle I cast around one last time... nothing.

Then a passing thought banged off the side of my head... they don't often make it in.

I'd taken a walk down to the waterhole and over the pond bank looking for sign the day I lost my glove.

Turning on my heel I slowly made my way over the same path I'd taken that day.

It looked out of place even at a distance. Something laying by the waters edge that just didn't seem to belong. I continued to move slowly, seaching the ground around me so that nothing was missed, but time and again my eyes were drawn back to that out of place something.

Finally I recognized the deer hoof pattern on the back of the glove and a little thrill ran through me.
I picked it up and felt the soft leather for a moment, turning it over to see if some wayward rodent had done it harm.
It was in one, unharmed piece. A little damp, but in fine shape.
I immediately put it on.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
I took some time to run into town for a few supplies before settling in the to blind for the afternoon hunt.

The meadow above the rock pile was empty when I'd left, but on my return there were several antelope scattered across it's grassy surface.

It looked like I'd missed my timing and I silently cursed several of my favorites as I pondered the situation.

At last I came up with a plan. I didn't know if it was a good one, but it was a plan.
Vance would drive me to the base of the hill where the meadow sits and drop me there.

I'd then set up the blind and with all my gear in hand or on my back I'd raise the blind up with one hand and walk slowly up the hill.

It had all sounded pretty hair brained in the beginning, but as the blind moved into sight of the antelope I got only brief, curious, side glances from the closest animals.

I stopped along the edge of the meadow thinking that was as far as I should push my luck, but wasn't happy there.

Slowly and with a smirk on my face I inched forward out into the meadow.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: September 16, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Weeeeeee!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Gotta love the aticipation!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: September 16, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
How do you describe 8 hours in a pop up blind with little happening? It's tough.... no doubt!

There were two incidents that I'll relate quickly... I have to get back out there this morning.

Six animals grazed slowly toward the blind an hour into my vigil.
They'd closed to within 25 yards and were relaxed. It was perfect.

The a puff of wind hit the blind. Just a freak thing that came out of nowhere. It had been very still when this gust hit the blind and rocked it up and back one time.

That's all it took! The animals went on red alert but held their ground.
I'd been waiting for the closer shot, but now was the time, I was sure.

The closest antelope was a youngster, butterball fat and prime for an arrow.
I eased the bow to full draw, held for a second and released.

The entire group of antelope exploded before my very eyes and the well shot arrow passed harmlessly over the back of the animal I'd shot at.
They were all safely out of range before the arrow skidded to a stop in the short grass.

You think whitetails can jump the string? Antelope are experts at it!!

There was one more "almost". A doe and two yearlings grazed to me just an hour after my last frustrating attempt.

They came at an angle that I hadn't prepared for so I had to make a few window adjustments to prepare for them.

The Double Bull is great in that respect and I pulled off the adjustments without a hitch.

Once again the antelope fed within range and once again I waited for the close shot. At 20 yards they were close enough, but at a bad angle... quartering on.

I waited patiently.

Suddenly antelope heads jerked upright and looked back over their asses. Out of nowhere a young buck sprinted up to the girls and drove them right away from me. It was over that fast.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I did see a badger cruising around the meadow at last light, but he never approached the blind.
As it got too dark to see, the last remaining antelope filed to a scoot under the fence and left the meadow.

I need to get back out there before they come back this morning.  :wavey:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: September 16, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Looks like you are starting to figure them out. I'm sure it won't be long now.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
How do you describe 8 hours in a pop up blind with little happening?
ZZZzzzzzzzz! ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz!    :saywhat:   CK

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
Chad... Oh yeah!! I've got them figured out alright! Starting to think they have me figured out as well.

Curtis... I thought about napping a little, but just too many antelope around to make that a smart thing to do.... had my sleeping bag in the blind and everything.
Morning temps have been hitting the 20 degree mark, so the bag is for keeping warm until the sun warms up the blind.

Not much to report about yesterday. Had trouble with the wind in a couple of ways.

First off I had a good group of goats heading my way, but they got downwind of me and everything changed.

Antelope have super eyes, but they don't ignore their ears at all.

Later in the morning after having no less than five bucks pass by in range the wind came up very strong.

It was an unusual wind out of the south and when it gusted, that side of my blind would collapse.

I hadn't staked out the sides, which turns out to be a good idea in this country. With all the antelope around I wasn't able to get out of the blind and make the adjustment.
With the wind blowing the side of the blind, the antelope just stood off at a distance and watched it blow.

Finally got out of the blind and came to the house around 3 p.m.

Went into town around 8p.m. for supper. Mike, Jason and Rusty had stopped in Pinedale on their way to Idaho.

We ate Mexican, had a great visit (too short) and sent them on their merry way.... they were a little strung out from the road, but in fine spirits and eager for the hunt.

Heading back out this morning for one last try.
Going to pack up tonight and get on the road home in the morning.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Great tales Charlie! Thanks for taking the time to share this with us, it is greatly appreciated by the entire "gang".
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I envy you getting to hang out at the ranch with Vance for an extended time. Thanks for sharing the pics and details. Note to self; hunt more work less. Safe travels Charlie.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Hey Vance... took no prisoners   :thumbsup:   cause there were none to take.   :rolleyes:  

Saw 1 moose, 1 fox and 1 griz. Two of which were too close for comfort. Luckily the bear had no interest in us.

Too hot I think. Hope you're having better luck on the other side.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
One last update and anything that happens after tonight is up to Vance to relate.

I had a great day goat hunting...what's that old saying about a bad day of hunting and a good day at work?

The day started pretty early, with a Thermos of hot coffee in my pack and my sleeping bag waiting in the blind.

Running just a little later than I'd intended, some antelope were already in the field and saw my entrance to the blind.
I didn't like that much, but had to make do with what I had. I settled into the blind and arranged my gear while throwing the down bag around my shoulders.
The hot coffee was more than welcome in shaking off the chill and clearing the cob webs from a sleepy head.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
Most of the morning was spent like the others I'd spent in the Double Bull. I'd settled on keeping all the windows shut to keep out light and intended to open a window should a "shooting solution" present itself.

I'd already spent days arranging to shoot from one side only to have the animals start for the other side. It was, to say the least, trying.

Although I had several situations that looked like they were going to work none quite did. It was always something.

Mostly it was froggy little bucks racing in to disturb the program only to get chased off by the herd buck... a really nice 14 incher.

Once again there was no shortage of shot opps on bucks had I had a tag for one.
The does, on the other hand, always seemed to give the blind a wide berth.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
Did I mention it was bird day in the meadow. I had crows and ravens as well as magpies literally all over me.... one magpie lit on the roof of my blind and received a little "poke" with my fist just for the fun of it.

A huge old raven lit not ten feet from the blind and I marveled at his size. They are one serious bird.

Finally I decided enough was enough and packed to leave.... and I almost got it done.

I just couldn't give it up.

I'd try a different tactic for the evening hunt using the blind as a distraction while I waited in the sage in my ghillie.

Later that day I returned to the meadow and eased into position. The antelope were waiting for me so with nothing to lose, I pushed the stalk.

A deep irrigation ditch bordered one side of the field and it was up this path that I approached the bedded antelope.
Footing was terrible, but I had a friendly sun at my back and the wind was just right.

I imagine most of you have seen a dry lake or pond bed that was cracked and dry with potato chip mud curls covering all. That's the way the ditch was.
I forged ahead painfully slowly.

Soon I had a look at the head and back of a bedded fawn not twenty yards ahead of me. I knew a doe would be very close by somewhere and slowed down even more.

Another soft step and I could see the end of her muzzle 15 yards away. I squared myself for the shot.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©