3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blessings of THE GREAT HUNT-pics added page 5  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blessings of THE GREAT HUNT-pics added page 5
« Reply #300 on: September 17, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
I raised my bow while pulling the string back toward anchor. That's when a gust of wind blew the material on the side of my ghillie into my face, blocking my left eye completely.

I was helpless! I'd not paid attention to get the hat on straight and what normally wouldn't have been an issue at all now had me half blinded.

The doe didn't miss this little movement and came to her feet. Just as the gust quit and the material fell away from my face, she bolted.
The whole dang herd took off for the other side of the meadow.

Oh the humiliation doesn't stop here.

A short hour later the antelope had spread over the field and a group of 8 filed right past my blind... maybe 10 yards for the closest one.

POOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The day ended with nothing to show for my efforts, but it had been fun. Oh yeah! Big fun!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: September 17, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
I can't just walk away from this. I'm going to give it one more morning in the blind. Probably hunt until 9:30 and then load the truck and hit the highway.

This will be my last entry before I hit the Missour state line.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: September 17, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
Best of luck Charlie!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Charlie,
Regardless of the outcome, thanks for taking us along on your hunt, it has been fun.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: September 18, 2007, 01:28:00 AM »
I hope your able to pull off the last second hunt. Sure has been fun following along with you guys again this year. Now get your butt back to work on that book!!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: September 18, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »
It's things like that which make the successes so much sweeter, but you prolly already know that better than I do.

Best of luck on the 11th hour hunt.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: September 18, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
Best of luck bud....you sure deserve it    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »
Travel safe Bud! CK

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: September 18, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along.

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: September 18, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
You know the saying....last minute, of the last hour, on the last day.....Git 'er Done Charlie!  :pray:  

Thanks for allowing us the insight to a great hunt. Have a good trip home.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: September 18, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
This last morning for the big fella found him up before light, makin ready for the Last Stand in the Double Bull, which by now has grown into the landscape of the ROCK PILE. Sleepin Bag, Chair, and a Thermos of Mud will help him with the 19 deg. chill that the first hour or so will bring on him. After that the POOR BOYS OVERCOAT will show up from the East.

As I watch from the comfort of the Man Room, I can see several groups millin around in the meadow. All seem to be very cautious of the situation, then again these Goats this year seem to cautious of every blade of grass that moves survival I suppose.

One of my horses has taken up residence about 10 ft. from the blind absorbing the reflective warmth provide by the blind.

I guess only time will tell. He has VOWED to Pack up at 9:30 AM. Here we set 4th quarter with the 2 minute buzzer about to go off..........STAY TUNED GANG, I have Goats and the Blind in the same field of vision with the spottin Scope   :scared:

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: September 18, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Two thing's for sure is Charlie could not have anymore well wishes for his last minute speedster. Cause we are all pulling for him   :thumbsup:   and a bunch of     :thumbsup:  

Brent

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: September 18, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
OK!! Contrary to my earlier comment about my last post and getting on the highway... I'll be leaving tomorrow morning early.

There is a reason for it, too!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: September 18, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Sunnybear, says let Vance cut it up, get home  :jumper:  I do think that is good news!

Brent

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: September 18, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
All right!    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: September 18, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
Well, morning arrived much too early as it has for the last couple of days. In good spirits, I none the less knew that the odds were stacked against me.

Gulping down a hot cup of Joe, I packed the travel Thermos away in my Bison Gear and headed for the blind before the new day was even a hint of light in the east.

It was brisk. Too brisk for the clothing I had on, but I knew that before long the day would warm and anyway I'd have the warmth of my down bag to stave off the chill.

I'd figured my mistake the day before was my undisciplined arrival at the blind after it was light enough to see. The antelope were waiting for me... I'd not let that happen again.

It was hard telling how long I'd have to wait before I could see anything in the meadow and I stayed wrapped in my bag until the first gray hint of light drew me out.

High clouds blocked the rising sun, promising a slow dawn and persisting cold. I scanned the meadow and surrounding hills with my binoculars... NOTHING.

I knew the goats would show up. They had too! Slowly the time ticked away...one minute, two minutes, an hour. It was obvious I was going to go without an antelope for the freezer this year.

Finally, an hour before I'd scheduled the end of the hunt, I spotted a flash of white on the distant hills. They were coming.

It took a long time for the trio of antelope to reach the meadow and I soon saw that they were all young bucks and no game for me.

I sat back and only took occasional peeks to confirm the bucks presence. During one of my "peeks" I was surprised to see that there were now eight animals in the field.

Now that was a surprise! They were all down at the other end of the meadow grazing contentedly and that didn't do me much good, but I was happy just to have their company on this last day... even if they were way off.

Vance's horses had been the first thing visible in the meadow and now they'd come to investigate the blind.
They fed merrily between me and the goats. For a moment I thought about getting out and leading one of them toward the antelope.... "elk don't know how many legs a horse has, pilgrim."

Figuring that would turn into a rodeo for sure, I let the idea pass.

With my vision totally blocked by equine bodies, I fretted over the presence of the beasts. If I spooked them away it would raise suspicion with the goats. I dealt with the limited visibility.

When the closest horse had fed off to my side, I was shocked to see that the antelope were now mobile and heading my way.... fast.

With only moments to spare I repositioned my chair and opened the appropriate window.

The first doe in the bunch fed by just a little farther than I liked, but with more coming, I'd just wait it out.

I'm new to this Double Bull thing and I can tell you right now it takes a little brain conditioning to be completely comfortable shooting out of one.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: September 18, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Thinking that each successive animal would follow the leader down past the rocks, just out of range, I patiently held my bow ready with arrow nocked.

One doe split away from the rest and fed closer to my blind. In range now I waited for the angle to open up.

The doe was oblivious to my presence in the hide. I came to anchor and took my time with the shot.

In an instant the arrow had sliced through the screen and took the doe unawares at 15 yards.
She was hammered and scalded out of there like a cat with it's tail on fire.

Once again I was alone in the meadow. I waited a short time and before I could get out of the Bull, Vance contacted me by walkie talkie.
He'd just missed the action, but could see my doe from the house, through his spotting scope.

On a dead run she'd made it to the bottom field and ran headlong into the creek... where she died.

What more can I say. Last day, and almost last minute, with my oldest, bestest friend along to savor the victory.

It shoulda been a beer commercial!

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: September 18, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
LOL, Congrats Charlie. I didnt doubt we would be seeing a pic soon. Looks like you have dwindled down to nothing chasing them goats.   :saywhat:  
Did Vance feed you while you were there?  ;)    Glad you connected and that ya'll had FUN.  :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: September 18, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
Nice hunt!
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: September 18, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Somehow I knew it would come together for you!!!!   A great read Charlie.   I love the way you tell a story.
Mel Riley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©