3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaskan Dall Sheep  (Read 5509 times)

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
Alaskan Dall Sheep
« on: November 14, 2006, 01:32:00 AM »
Who's hunted them, besides the Alaska guys I know?  I just put in for some Drawing Permits for next year.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  Got a Robertson Vision Falcon on order that I plan on hunting with should I draw or if I find a place to hunt without drawing.

Chris

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaskan Dall Sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »
Where did you put in for? I put in for the TMA as always but never get it. Look over near chisana or up along the chitna river as well as out of nebesna if your looking at the eastern interior. Nice sheep country. The nice thing for you is that its only a ferry ride & an 8 hour or so drive to get to the jump off. Good luck on the draw.
John/AK

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »
Hey John,

I put in for Tok and Delta...and also a bowhunt only for any sheep in 14A.  I haven't been lucky on any drawings down here...moose and elk, so I figure the computer has been holding out for me.

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »
Yep Delta is a good one if you can draw it. Had friends pull two nice rams out of there this year. I've heard good things on 14A but never have hunted it or put in for it. I have a cabin in the TMA on the north side of the alaska range and its only about a mile from where you start running into sheep. I see them all the time but without a tag I can only drool...

I too have not been very lucky in the draws over the years. I did get an Etolin Island elk tag a few years back and that has been it!! So I'm guessing that I'm due too!! Geesh out of over 100 apps I hope so!! This old body just don't have many more sheep hunts left in it and I want the TMA before its used up!!
John/AK

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
Good luck to you both!
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
eagerly waiting next august, just hope I wont be working until sept again.  

Didnt sheep hunt at all this past year.  Attempted to get into our 14c hunt, ran into problems, pulled out and got pounded literally with weather.  Had that one window right at the beginning, it all went down hill from there.  

Why don't you hunt sheep with Steve?  I'm sure he'll be out somewhere in august.

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »
Good luck to you both!
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
Yeah, I may try and hunt with Steve but he's secretive about "his" sheep spots.

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »
AkDan - Yeah working in Sept like you had to do this year does suck! I unfortunately had to work alot more then I wanted too! So are you putting in for any of the draw units (14C?)or are you going to hunt the general??

I'm thinking if no TMA luck I'll hunt along the reservation boundary just outside of the TMA. And/or the St Elias NP elders hunt in early October. Missed it this year due to work!! Its any sheep too.
John/AK

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »
That BASS-tard!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
John,

Probably not.

I'll put in for the TMA as usual.  I wont put in for delta, but then again I don't know better to do it.  The people I know whove hunted it have not done well.  Might put in for a couple regular tags in 14c, we'll see.    

I have some spots, road accessable that always have legal rams.   Hard to pass them up as I had to do this year.  

Chris,

He'll take you!  

John,

You know how I feel on your "subsitence" issues lmao.  GL if you go.

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
I drew DS203 Delta tag.

Delta Sheep

Offline Mark Maves

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
I drew 14 C (archery/any sheep)last year and ended up hunting just S of Anchorage.  Alot of sheep and ended up taking a yew (very tasty).  I had a white suit which really helped me out to get close.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mark Maves

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
I meant EWE...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
JLB,

SWEET!  I assume you went for the early foot hunt?  You going to get airlifted in?  Going for the whole season?  Heck, you have ME excited...you better get everything ready NOW   ;)

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
To my knowledge it looks like DS203 is a walk-in and DS204 is unrestricted so that permit allows a fly-in.  I think I remember putting in for the 203 because I wanted to save some $$ and walk in.  

Yes, I will be going for the whole season, 10 days I believe.  The  new regs don't come out until July 1 so unless something changed that's what I'll be doing.

I'll be picking Steve H's brain as soon as he gets back from Albuquerque.

Offline Mark Maves

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that you drew your delta tag. Just noticed that ADFG posted reults and I drew DS140....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Awesome Congrats!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
I was thinking this meant you could get dropped off on the airstrip:

"The use of motorized vehicles and pack animals in any manner for big game hunting is prohibited inside the controlled use area from August 5 through August 25. This does not prohibit the use of motorized vehicles on the Richardson Highway or the Charlie Boyd Airstrip along the Johnson River for accessing the hunt area or transporting game. From Aug.26th to Aug.5th motorized access and the use of pack animals is allowed for Big Game hunting in all of the DCUA."

Just thinking that would give you a head start...

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
Congrats Chris and Mark!!! Make sure to keep us up to date on your sheep hunts when the time comes. Also make sure to take lots of pictures. Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©