3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaskan Dall Sheep  (Read 5508 times)

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
Re: Alaskan Dall Sheep
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Thanks Steve,

After looking at the ADF&G site more I found that the DS203 is Aug 10-25 and DS204 is Aug 26 - Sept 20.  I guess I chose DS203 because it was earlier.

On the link I provided earlier it says 203 is a walk-in...I assume you can fly-in after Aug 25th, I could be wrong.

"The Alaska Range, southeast of Delta Junction offers 2 drawing permit hunts each year, with 75 permits drawn for the walk-in DS 203 ( Aug.10 till Aug.25); and 75 permits drawn for the unrestricted access DS 204 (Aug.26 till Sept.20) in the Delta Controlled Use Area (DCUA). The DCUA was created in 1971 to provide quality walk-in sheep hunting opportunities free from competition with other transportation types during the early portion of the sheep season. Because of ever-increasing hunting pressure, the area went to drawing permits in 1978. As is the case in most of the rest of the state, the bag limit is one Ram with full curl or larger horns. The use of motorized vehicles and pack animals in any manner for big game hunting is prohibited inside the controlled use area from August 5 through August 25. This does not prohibit the use of motorized vehicles on the Richardson Highway or the Charlie Boyd Airstrip along the Johnson River for accessing the hunt area or transporting game. From Aug.26th to Aug.5th motorized access and the use of pack animals is allowed for Big Game hunting in all of the DCUA."

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Well, I'm sure you will get all the details ironed out and probably get a few scouting trips made as well.  You are a lucky dog!  Get your pack "mules" lined up too--maybe promises of sheep tenderloin could entice a couple strong backs   :jumper:

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
These threads on AK still kill me!  Why didnt I move up there.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
because it'll cost you darn near as much to hunt here as a resident as it does for you as a non resident! Shorter hunting seasons.  Lack of good hunting partners. gear upgrade big time, costs a small fortune, jeesh whatelese, list could go on and on.

Move to BC!

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Thats part of it lol. But here in CO it only a month of bow season.  Im still tossing the idea around in my head.  Will see if I get the job im applying for right now.  If not I might start sending Apps. up your way lol.  Then again maybe BC, wonder what a Cops pay is in Canada?

Offline Mark Maves

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
If your an experienced police officer, AK has some very good sign on bonuses
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
I just got out of the Academy

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 02:58:00 AM »
Take Alaska, lay it over the USA.

Now take ALL those states and start looking at your opportunities.

You could hunt from august till heck almost april, in relative comfort.   At a cost that is mcuh less then doing an couple good hunts up here every year.  

Been here 11 years now, considering moving.   Have had fun, but have also realized the minus's in that time.  If it wasnt for the fishing keeping me here..........................................................

So unless you dream of sheep, goats, grizzlies or brownies you aint gaining anything by moving here other then plane fare and saving some on tags.    We still get raped in bush flights!!!!  For you it's a dream, for us we do it most years! (those more fortunate then I do it every year)!

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 03:01:00 AM »
...and houses are outrageous here in Juneau.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2007, 03:18:00 AM »
ps,

Dont want to detract from your dream.

But look at how much an average fly out hunt runs us every year, on the average about 2000 bucks, many are less, many are more.  What we all dream of, costs, and as years go buy, that costs is sky rocketing.  Case in point, charter flight, sfk river, 750 bucks, next year 1500 bucks, 2 years later, just shy of 2000!  Thats for 45 mn of air time and a one way trip!!!!

The other factor, 4 wheelers, river boats, and or bush planes.  Figure you'll have one or any combination of these if you dont like paying charter flights, and a snowmobile for some winter fun and possible winter hunts.

There is no palce more majestic, more beautiful and more fun to be in!! The solitude is just short of awesome.  

Does the good outweigh the bad, something you gotta ask yourself!!!

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Hey dont get me wrong Colorado if great the weathers awesome.  I just want to live near another state lol (NM,AZ are on top of my list) (with late season archery) and we have sheep and goats here.  I figure I can save for brown bears, and dalls if not there loads of other hunts to do that are cheap!

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
juneaulongbow - Congrates on drawing. I put in for the TMA and of course didn't draw. Oh well I still have the mentastas & wrangells to go to.

Got your email. Nope I've never hunted sheep in the DCUA so I have no first hand on that. As mentioned earlier my neighbors daughter and her husband both took sheep last year. Not sure if they drew the 203 or 204 tag. When I see them I'll get some details. They live in Fbks, he is from Delta and she is from Tok,
John/AK

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©