3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Extra bowstring: How many have needed one while hunting  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Extra bowstring: How many have needed one while hunting
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
it's also *extremely* important to setup and shoot in a new spare string.  before hunting, and during practice/roving, i'll even swap the strings from time to time to make sure they both work the same.
A few weeks before hunting season I'll often take the string off I've been shooting all summer and put it in the pack then.

Lots of good stories in this thread guys, Thanks

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
I've never needed one in the field but I've ALWAYS carried one with me. I consider a spare string to be essential equipment in my hunting kit.

Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I also carry a bow stringer now.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Always carried one in my day pack the first ten year I hunted with a traditional bow.  Went on a still stalk whitetail hunt down the road a mile thinking all I needed was my knife and tags.  You guessed it, I leaned the bow against a tree while glassing several deer that were moving in my direction and then proceeded to drop an arrow.  Of course the broadhead hit the string and cut through it.  It is amazing how efficient a file sharpened Magnus is.  Five minutes later the deer walked past me at 15 yards.

Guess I am a slow learner, still always have one in the pack, but seldom carry the day pack to my whitetail stands.  However, I am more careful with the arrow.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
I began bowhunting in the 60's and never carried a spare...and never needed one.  

About 10 years ago, I began carrying a spare string AND a stringer...and still have not needed it.

I will continue the habit.
Lon Scott

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
ON my caribou hunt my bowstring got caught on a nail as I was walking out the door of the camp and cut three of the strands. I was lucky and had two strings set up just for such an emergency. If not for that string my hunt would have been done.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
I managed to cut one with my machete this season. I was 12 miles from my truck in a canoe.

I had an extra string and killed two hogs with it the next day.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Dropped my bow chasing elk once and the malipie rocks cut the string.Glad there was a spare in my pack.
Jeff Couture

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
Since mid 70s I always carry one in my fanny pack - and when on a hunt away from home I take 2 back up strings for 2 bows. We shoot in new strings every year for all the bows we use and rotate that used strings as the first back up. Never needed these but good to have I have had bows and strings blow up while shooting in my yard so any of these could have happened in the field. Surprised to see the number of guys cutting strings on rocks - more reason to stay the course and carry back up. Way back the only time I heard of a string breaking was when a guy accidentally hit it with a broadhead in the dark. On group hunts I bring a back of leftover strings with my sharpening equipment and have given away a few strings through the years.
<><
<------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Had to use the spare this past fall on day 6 of a 7day backpack hunt.  I noticed 3 or 4 frayed strands on the string and sat down and made the swap.  I have no idea how it happened.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
I have been to some of the most remote areas of the world to hunt, including the back country of Africa and Australia, which often means the space and weight limitations are severe. Taking two bows is often difficult to manage, so I normally only take one bow on those remote hunts. I prefer to have a longbow when I have only one bow along, because the limbs are thicker, less subject to damage from striking an object or twisting a limb, and easier to string or unstring without a stringer. I have scratched, dinged and dented longbows before, but I have never broken one so it could not be used.

However, I ALWAYS take extra strings. As pointed out by others, strings can fail from wear, abrasion, cuts, and unknown reasons. They are inexpensive, compact and very light. Why would anyone NOT have a spare string handy on a hunt? I agree that a spare string is best when completely set up with the same silencers and nock point height as the primary string, but I'm not one to get too excited about exactly how well it is shot in. Just make sure you have a way to accurately measure brace height and to string and unstring the bow so you can make brace height adjustments, and you will be fine. I like to have a bow square and stringer in camp, but my blunt tipped practice arrow with length marks on the shaft carried in my quiver will work for brace height, and I can string my longbow without a stringer if I have to, so I can twist my string to keep the brace height right. Besides, a bow string can be used for many other purposes in a pinch.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline csimpson

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 01:06:00 AM »
I had one break while sitting on a table next to my buddy's RV heater exhaust port. Didn't hurt the bow just the string. Am more careful now about where I place my bow. Glad I had a spare string with me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
I cut one in two with a broadhead once stalking elk. After a 2 mile walk out and a 50 mile drive home to buy one, I never leave home without a spare now!!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
what's missing from your survey is hunt time.  hunting 5 times a year without a string failure is lots different than hunting 35 times a year with a string failure.  ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
Im never that far from home .
If I went out of town or state then I would.
Im never more than 4 miles from my house.
Slickhead

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
what's missing from your survey is hunt time.  hunting 5 times a year without a string failure is lots different than hunting 35 times a year with a string failure.   ;)  
Good point!

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
always thinking about carrying one

always forget it

:knothead:
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Ain't needed it yet, but always have one handy. Same as insurance on my truck, haven't needed it, don't want to need it and not have it handy.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Went bowfishing once and got to my spot and set my bow down (on some rocks) and it was severed instantly.  Packed up and went home.

Offline lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
They don't weigh much. I always carried one but this thread asks me why not 3. Could always use some stout string in a pinch.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©