3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do does in heat drip blood?  (Read 492 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do does in heat drip blood?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
An associated question... I know it is possible for unbred does to come into heat several more times, but will a buck still breed her after he has dropped his antlers?  I would imagine hormones are involved in the antler shed process, but wonder how that affects his "drive".

Some bucks around here started dropping antlers over three weeks ago.  There are still some left, though, if that is a necessary part of the equation...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
I saw this for the first time a year ago December while out scouting during our late season.  I found four deer beds in a foot of snow in an apple orchard along a creek bottom.  One of the beds had some blood at the rear of the bed (based on the tracks leaving). There were a few drops in urine close to the bed too.  This was early December which would have coincided with the 'second' rut in our area.    

I'm pretty confident that this was a very hot doe.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline pitt98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Ray,
I saw the exact same situation during late season 3 years ago.  About 4 beds in the snow, with one bed holding a few drops of blood and urine.  A couple more drops of urine/blood on the tracks out, then nothing but tracks thereafter.
Damon Howatt Super Diablo 54# @28
BW PSA 60" 51# @28
RER Arroyo 58" 60# @28
Kwyk Styk 54" 54#@28
Eaglewing Talon 11 62" 53# @28
Zipper Nitro 60" 47#@28
Allegheny Mt longbow 60" 40#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©