3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dave Johnson is teasing me / bow has been named!  (Read 593 times)

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
Dave Johnson is teasing me / bow has been named!
« on: January 10, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
I received this photo in December of the glue up of the riser woods of my new red cedar bow.

Today, I received this progress photo from him of the riser of my new bow. Imbuia and myrtle. Arrow rest is not yet cut in and it doesn't even have a finish on it.

My other Dave Johnson red cedar bow is named "Tahlequah" for the City of Tahlequah, Oklahoma, the Capitol of the Cherokee Nation and my wife's birthplace.

Five shots, 25 yards.

So, I need some help naming this new bow. Any suggestions?
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dave Johnson is teasing me / bow has been named!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
Danny,
Those Johnson's must have made an impression on you for sure. Looks real nice. I'm not good at names so I'll bow out
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
That's real nice. I got mine few days back.they are sweet shooters. congrats<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
beautiful,almost be a shame to put a wrap on it.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Dave made me a bow back in the 1980's and we named it "Moon Shadow" because of the black and white glass.  Always fun to name a bow.  Kind of gives it a spirit.  I guess you could name it "Pawhuska" which is my home town and capitol of the Osage Indian Nation. :>)

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Very Nice,, Love the name,, every great bow deserves a good name,, Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Yeah....let the bow name itself....something will happen along the way.....st shot...or 1st kill...or a certain shot ...or a certain place....

give it some time....and it will earn a name....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
You could call it;
"Miss Myrtle"
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
I'm reasonably sure that soon after I receive the bow, it will generate a name for itself.

Dave Johnson's red cedar bows are a joy to shoot. Compared to other Hill style bows, they are very light in the hand and the red cedar gives up nothing to any bamboo longbow with no hand thump that I have ever shot.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Ric, how is the weight of the one you already have?  I have heard in the last few days of two fellows who have them that are 5# heavier than marked weight.  Thought only Howard Hill Archery had that problem.    :rolleyes:

Reason I ask is that at my age draw weight has become an issue for me and I do like Dave's bows and have toyed with getting one.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
Muskogee?       :goldtooth:  

I graduated from NSU there in Tahlequah and now live in Fort Gibson, so I know the area well.
Looks like it's going to be a beautiful bow!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
I agree, a name will just happen at some point....looks like it's gonna be a beauty!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
David -
From my experience, Dave's weight is right on the money. Dave is now 78 years of age and can't/won't currently build a bow heavier than 50# @ 28". His tillering process requires the he draw he bow numerous times and 50# is the maximum he physically can draw. I've seen those posts too about them being 5# heavier than marked. I have a Hill Tembo that is 66" 55# @28" and when compared to my Johnson that is 50# @ 28" the Tembow is NOTICEABLY heavier than the Johnson. So, unless a person can show me the difference on a calibrated and certified scale, IMHO, their claims do not hold water. My experience has shown these hand scales only "ballpark" the weight. But, that's my $0.02 on the subject.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
My bow "Trinity" is right on the money as far as marked weight is concerned and it sure doesn't hurt your eyes either.

It hits where I'm looking and the best part is that when I put my hand to it, it takes me to "Sherwood".

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Thanks Ric and Mudd....yeah, my problem is the same as Dave's but he has me by six years on age.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
I know Danny has two grandsons that have shown an interest in traditional archery. They both have attended 3-D shoots with Danny and I. For that reason I would recommend naming this bow "Tahlequah Two". At some point in time they will probably end up with these bows. Why not set the stage now to avoid a possible conflict in the future?  :bigsmyl:

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
Danny that Imbuia is gorgeous.  I've been trading emails with him for a bit about a build.  Dave commented to me via email that it looks amazing and he's really high on the look.  I can't wait to see it completed.  

I saw those posts about Dave's bows being coming back heavy.  I have a hard time believing it.  From what I've seen and read his bows are true works of art and I'm sure he's very particular about the draw weight.  I'm going to specify, given my shoulder issues, that the bow has to be dead on.  I have no doubt that he will nail it.  Hell of a nice guy, too.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
You are absolutely right Mike. Dave is a great guy to talk to and a wealth of information. He is meticulous in his work. He conducts his business as true gentleman and takes his bow orders on an over the phone handshake. What's more, for a custom bow, his prices are extremely reasonable. I've purchased two of his bows for what it would take for one bw or most any other custom bow and the red cedar gives up nothing in performance.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Since you are a Texan, how about "Cedro Bonito".  A bow used close to Mexico might do well with a Spanish name.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
I am very excited to finalize this build with him.  I purchased a sweet piece of figured Oregon Myrtle to cut the riser out of.  Very feathery looking.  

Since Dave's bows come from Oklahoma, maybe something like mentioning his home state and where the bow was born is appropriate for a name.  I'm sure something will hit you when it arrives.  Best of luck with it.  Post photos when you can.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©