3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scentlok  (Read 971 times)

Offline Tagabuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Scentlok
« on: August 20, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Hey folks,
I have a dilemma. I have a full set of scentlok clothing that has never been used, but I did not realize that this was a no-no with the crowd.So, I'm debating whether or not I should just use it this season and buy new clothes next year, or try to push the budget and get non-scentlok clothes yet this year. Does it really make that much of a difference? (I hunt from the ground)
Thanks for your input.

Offline John D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scentlok
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
If you have it use it, why spend money you dont have to. Please bring me up to date here. Why is it a no no with the crowd, and what crowd?

Thanks John
Good Luck & Good Hunting!
John
COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS
PBS Associate Member

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Agree with dank.  If you have it use it.  Who cares what the crowd says. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Not a "no-no" with me.  Why would you think it is not acceptable here?

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
Not a no-no with me, I use Scent Lok clothing religously.

But bear in mind I'm as "Trad" as I wanna be...  :thumbsup:
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
You have to do whats best for you.  Do you really care what someone else thinks about your choice of clothing?  I really hope not!!  I say wear it and wear it proudly.  You bought it for a reason so don't let what some one else thinks persuade you to change your mind on what you wear into the woods.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Tagabuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Sorry, I'll explain. I read in last month's TB mag, a letter to the editor that stated he expected to never see an ad for the stuff. Impression lended was that it gave you an unfair advantage. First of all, with me at the helm, the deer have ALL the advantage. But as I am somewhat new to this, I wanted to be as ethical as possible. But my wife bought it, and I hate to buy another set of stuff with the opener 3 weeks away.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Tell you what, I have some ol ratty wranglers I dyed the same color as the grass I hunt in out west, some ol shirts with holes all them my ol hat that I,ve had for 25 years, I don,t want to very bad where as I got all this stuff broke in,but if you would go straight across I might consider tradin, I wouldn,t want you to get into any kind of trouble. PS I would feel better about the trade if you would throw in about 20 or 30 bucks. Have fun FERGI

Offline Tagabuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Fergi,
While your offer is most fair, you must realize I hunt in Minnesota, where the snow flies almost as regular as the bugs. So, you would have to throw in a union suit at least as stealthy! Serioulsy, I see now that I can't take all that is in print as the law. You guys are great.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
"I read in last month's TB mag, a letter to the editor that stated he expected to never see an ad for the stuff. Impression lended was that it gave you an unfair advantage"

I dont use the stuff and never will , BUT I dont care if anyone else uses it ....... heck we all have the right to waste our money however we choose !!!!!!

But  ....... if scent lok really did eliminate ALL human scent ( someday we might just see this_)  ......... wouldnt it really be an unfair advantage????? .............. IMHO ...... it would be ........   :bigsmyl:
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tagabuck:
Impression lended was that it gave you an unfair advantage. First of all, with me at the helm, the deer have ALL the advantage. But as I am somewhat new to this, I wanted to be as ethical as possible.
I use it and think it helps......but trust me, it ain't THAT good!  Nowhere close to giving you an unethical advantage.  The use of unscented soaps and shampoo is much more valuable IMO.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Take all internet posts and mag letters to the editor regarding ethics with a grain of salt.  Plus, ask yourself, "Am I doing this for others, or for me?"
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Are you hunting just to please the crowd? I didn't think so... I have used the military chemical suits when they fist came out, i thought they worked o.k. but out grew them, I've used the scent-away spray since then too. It works and a bottle will last a long time at only a couple of dollars a bottle, its worth it. I also bought some of the scent-lock camo last year and i'll wear it till it wears out. I couldn't tell where it helped that much but its comfy. What you hunt with is up to you, not others. If you feel uncomfortable with it then don't use it, I havn't heard anybody say anything neg about it yet. Even if i do it won't make up my mind for me, be a free thinker and try the scent-lock you might like it, then again you might not...
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
What's between your ears is the only thing that give's us an advantage "unethical", ethical or otherwise.  You don't want to leave that at home.  So whatever else you feel confident in using is perfectly fine.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
Unfair advantage over who? I never realised hunting was a competition.   ;)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
No-no with what crowd?  I can't see any advantage to scentlok, so I don't buy it.  THat doesn't mean I am going to ride roughshod over someone who does.

It's a weak argument that cannot stand a difference of opinion.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Wear the scent lok. You already own it; so for sure use it. You will get alot of opinions regarding it's effective use. My experience is that it for sure helps. Helps if you set up correctly, start retentive clean and stay that way. ALWAYS wear the head cover, without it you might as well not wear any scent lok.
I have not had a deer (that I could see) smell me in over three seasons. From Missouri to Arkansas and Kansas not one has busted on me. My advice is to try it and see what happens. Or maybe it's the chlorophyll tables I take.. LOL
All I know for sure is that something I've been doing is working.

In Trad Archery,

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Use what you like and forget what others are saying.  Asd long as it's legal...it's your choice.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
"Unfair advantage over who? I never realised hunting was a competition. "

an unfair advantage over the deer  ....... maybe  ...... ????  .......... it IS a predator /prey competion
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Tagabuck, the subject of scentlock has come up on here, with opinions of "does it work?" and some folks feel insulted by the "forget the wind, and just hunt" marketing hype.

I'm not sure it's worth the money, but my wife bought most of my hunting stuff (!), and she thought it was a "good thing".

Also, the person that wrote the editorial letter that you mentioned, was also against bows with metal risers.

I guess if you are not dressed like him, with the bow he is using, you don't meet his standard.
That is just plain his problem, not mine.

Enjoy the gear you have!
Thanks,
Rich

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©