3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scentlok  (Read 970 times)

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scentlok
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
tagabuck, you are some lucky dude to have a wife that will buy you those.
 if my wife bought me anything i would wear them till they fell off and then i would tell her what a lucky guy i was.
     WEAR EM

Offline Tagabuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their opinion. Your answers make good sense, I'm doing this only for myself. I don't wish to waste anyones time with my life story, but my decision to hunt traditional has cost me both friend and family.
Coming from a dedicated, and hard drinking strict firearm group, my decisions cost me my best friend of 23 years, and my father who sided against me in favor of his 4th wife. So I hunt alone, and only by this method. I asked the original question only because I wish to do this the right way. It's somewhat unusual and refreshing to get non-opinionated feedback. Your a good group of people, and I find myself proud to hunt with ya'll.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
The only thing that equals ethical is a clean kill!  

In my opinion...if you are having fun, following local hunting regulations and respect the game you hunt by humanely harvesting the animal, then thumbs up!!!

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

-Charlie (buckeye_hunter)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Tagabuck,
Incidentally, I am forsaking many high tech gadgets myself this hunting season.

My reason... strictly because I want to see if I am good enough to hunt with a stick and string only.  I will wear camo, but shoot... even some native americans dressed like deer while hunting them to gain an advantage.  Wouldn't try that now-a-days!!  :bigsmyl:  

Charlie (buckeye_hunter)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
Tagabuck..what part of Minnesota are you in? Lots of Tradgangers in Minn you may be able to meet up with so you don't have to hunt by yourself if you you don't want to.

I am about as far to one side when it comes to hunting with "trad" equipment as can be, but I do that because that's how "I" choose to do it. I don't ask that anyone else do it the way I do it (other than some good natured ribbing with friends). Each man must decide what is right for him

Here are the questions I ask myself before using doing/anything

(1) Is it legal?

(2) Do I feel it's fair?

(3) Can I repect myself after I have done this?

(3) Will it look unfavorably on me or others who might be accosciated with me?

(5) Would I tell my mom I am doing it? (don't laugh, I respected my moms opinions and ethics about most everything in life. For mom there was very little gray area, it was either right/fair or wrong/unfair)

(6) Will my buddies make fun of me for doing it?(well, that happens a lot but it IS last on the list therefore carries the least weight with my decisions ha ha)

let Tagabuck decide if it's right for Tagabuck, and then live with that decision.

FWIW I think the main value of most camo and scent loc camo in particular is the confidence it gives the guy wearing it. I don't think it works much to disguise you from game animals or to keep a deer from smelling you but if you think it does, that's all that matters.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
All I can say is that "I can't smell the deer any better with the scentloc on"!  :D

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
I never knew there was such a thing as a "Traditional Bowhunter"  I know of bowhunters that use what some call traditional archery gear. I use game cameras,cell phones,gps,computer maps,4x4 truck, a nice warm camp, calls, scents, handwarmers,treestands,gortex clothes,decoy  and a recurve with wooden arrows but not a scent-loc suit I have to draw the line there. LOL Just kidding but you know if I thought it really worked 100%I don't think I would use one,but hey thats just me.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
I personally am not a fan of the stuff, the science just doesnt add up if you ask me but thats another story.  For my money Ill take care to be as scent free as possible and use the wind to my advantage.  

This does bring up a good question though, at what point do you cross the line?  I mean this is a "Traditional" archery site is it not?  Does that just refer to the bow or does it refer to all the equipment we use?  Personally I love leafy wear, you know the stuff with the leaves that flap in the wind.  I could probably find some historical reference to using such camo but with all the new hi tech materials I doubt I could convince everyone that it was "Traditional" garb.  Bottom line I like it and I use it and yes I believe it does give me an advantage. So does having thumbs but Im not giving them up either.

Honestly in my opinion you dont really have a dilema, if you like the stuff use it.  If it gives you more confidence then again I say use it.  Trust me you wont be so scent free that you can completely fool a deers nose anyhow.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Not sure what the policy here is on linking to non-commercial sites, but here is some intersting reading on activated charcoal clothing in general...

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/is/02pubs/shiv024.pdf

You can google up a million opinions, but I haven't seen any science yet that supports the stuff.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
It realy hits a nerve when I hear things like this.  What gives a person the Right to decide what's right for you?... Use and enjoy it. your choice.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
I'll be wearing mine this year so why shouldn't you.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
hey if it realy bugs ya just rub some deer poo on ya self then they wont smell ya at all they will think another deer has had a dump. look just wear what ya like if it works way to go if it dont crap happens better luck next time.  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
Jeff,
Don't know if you were allowed to put up the link, but thanks.  It made for some interesting reading.

-Charlie(buckeye_hunter)

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
Guess I am gonna wear mine too if Golden Hawk is,, Relax and enjoy you only get one ....
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Use it! Don't let other men sit in judgment over you about things like this. Most of the Indians I've read about were happy to take any advantage they had when hunting including running animals off cliffs-heck some bought rifles from white guys so this "traditional movement" is really a modern "invention" that we do for fun and some take it way too seriously IMO.

If that bud is a true friend he will come around and support your decision, if not you just traded up to a great group of tradganger friends you haven't met yet!   :thumbsup:  

I use some scent blocker gear-I actually even have a scent blocker pack although I bought that for the design. Having been completely covered in scent lok though, I let go with some "windage" that still cleared out the truck! I mean it belonged in a zoo!   :biglaugh:   So I personally don't believe that it works but I definitely am going to wear what I have until it wears out or I do=more money saved to go hunting with if nothing else!   :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Stick'n'String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
I just got my suit in the other day.  The only thing that is unfair is that I had to wait this long to get it!

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
I'll have mine on each time i head to the woods, same way i have for many years. Mickey and Rabbitman give me a hard time about wearing it  but that might be because they don't like having to help drag.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
:clapper:  Good one!

(I'll help you drag one out anytime buddy, no matter what your wearing)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
I wear Scent Blocker 3D Leafy Wear, been wearing it since it came out, it's great camo. I've had deer that shoulda smelled me, not smell me, also deer that I didn't think shoulda, have busted me. I truly don't know how well it works, but I'm not gonna quit wearing it because somebody else doesn't like it. Don't get yourself caught up in other people's opinions, " to thy own self be true".
Bret M. FullER

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Use what you have.  And if you choose not to where it, then where something real traditional, like jeans and a shirt.  Then shoot the biggest deer in the bunch.  
Hunting is a "You" sport.  Do what makes YOU happy.  Others will accept that and respect you for it.  If not, well then boo to them.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©