3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fiber glass arrows?  (Read 318 times)

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Fiber glass arrows?
« on: January 11, 2013, 02:43:00 AM »
Do any of you guys make these? I have read a few bow hunting articles on squirrel hunting in which the authors say they are the best kind, cheap, tough, reasonably accurate ect. I  only see actual arrows for bow fishing, target bows, and youth bows. I have found a few places to buy blank shafts. Is anyone familiar with the ins and outs of fiber glass. Any info would be appreciated. Especially weights, spine, spine testing, and whether or not u use solid or tube type shafts. Thanks in advance.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fiber glass arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
Do a search for Micro Flite. You will get LOTS of results lots of guys out there still using them.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
I just did up 10 glasflight Ben pearson 55# shafts, they shoot great, shafts are an olive green in color and look a lot like carbon!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »
Could you do me a favor and send me a measurement on those? Specifically the outside diameter and inner diameter? If anyone has any on these made sor 45-50 lb bows would you send me some measurements? I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
The glas flights around a 1916 as to size!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Jake,
are you talking about vintage fiberglass arrows such as microflite? or the solid fiberglass arrows sold at Rural King and the like?  They are heavy solid fiberglass rated fro 35#s i think.  

I shoot some old Miro #3 from my 32 pound pearson colt, I love them.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Brian I was talking about the micro flights. As I under stand it they are hollow tubes of fiber glass. I have been sourcing fiber glass tubes in packs of 100 or more from wholesalers for making arrows. However I need to know where to start. As in what is the outer diameter of a comparable arrow shaft and the inner diameter of the hollow section. Also weight and spine will be helpful as well, along with length. I suppose I may just have to cough up the dough for a dozen of those micro flights say in a 7 or 8.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
Make a spine tester and ask the wholesalers for some samples. That might be a bit cheaper. Either way, I would like to hear your results. I broke 2 woodies yesterday and it would be nice to find a source of inexpensive shafting for stumping.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline johnny girardi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
I dont think anyone makes glass tube arrows anymore. Gordon glass flex may have deen last ones.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
The wholesaler should be able to supply you with that ID and OD.  You will also need both nock and point inserts, so you need to know a size.
Solid glass is used for bow fishing.

My #7 M.J.LOG ( made by Gorden)has an ID allows me to use 1/4" wood dowels 6" long epoxied into the shaft and the taper sanded.
Who is supplying marketing fiberglass shafting?

There were more fiberglass shaft makers than Micro-flight.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Yes they list outer and inner diameters on their website. However I am going to have to get my hands on some fiber glass arrows for reference sizes, spines, and weights. Right now not much on **** but, I will keep my eyes open. If someone has number seven micro flights and would be interested in supplying me with this information I would surely appreciate it.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Yes they list outer and inner diameters on their website. However I am going to have to get my hands on some fiber glass arrows for reference sizes, spines, and weights. Right now not much on **** but, I will keep my eyes open. If someone has number seven micro flights and would be interested in supplying me with this information I would surely appreciate it.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
If the wholesaler has ID and OD why not spine? Are these arrow shafts or tubing for other applications? Who is the wholesaler?
As Johnny stated; I did not think there were any fiberglass shafts available now except the Thunder..something or other for kids arrows.
Micro Flight #7
29" for 30-35#
28" for 40-45#
26" for 55-60#
However I have shot these just fine at 28 1/2"BOP out of 55#
MJ LOG shafts are the same

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:00 AM »
I have contacted several wholesalers and one hobby type whole saler specializing in things for building kites. These would be fiber glass tubes not specifically designed for arrows which is why I will need and appropriate OD and ID for a reference since the have many different sizes mostly in lengths of 4-6 feet.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 02:30:00 AM »
I have contacted several wholesalers and one hobby type whole saler specializing in things for building kites. These would be fiber glass tubes not specifically designed for arrows which is why I will need and appropriate OD and ID for a reference since the have many different sizes mostly in lengths of 4-6 feet.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 02:39:00 AM »
Sorry for all the double posts.

Offline ray tareila

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Fiberglass shafts were the 'carbon' of years past. They came spined for low and high weight bows just like aluminum shafts. They were supplied with both glue-on and later, screw-in inserts. The best shafts (in my opinion) were MicroFlites first sold by Frank Eicholtz an innovative San Diego bowyer who first used fiberglass to face his bows. Fred Anderson learned his trade working for Eicholtz.
Other providers of glass shafts were Gordon, Gilmore, Black Hawk, Graphlex, Dura, Mercury, Herters, Glashaft and Bingham. I know that Gordon and MicroFlite manufactured their own. Bear Archery used MicroFlites for their Kodiak Supreme arrows. Each manufacturer had their own spine charts. I use #8 Microflites (cut 29")for my 50# recurves and longbows. The wall thicknesses on glass are thicker than on aluminum, for the same spine, but you can get away with using aluminum arrow inserts on some glass shafts. Ray

Offline ray tareila

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
I forgot to answer the question! You can buy glass shafts today but I think they are spined for "kids" arrows so I would be careful to not use in heavier bows and they are probably made in China so beware of quality. Search in the large archery supply houses like Lancaster Archery etc.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Not to be rude but, that does not answer my question. I would like to know the outer diameter and inner diameter of a browning microflite number seven. It would also be helpful to have a weight and a spine measurement as tested on a spine tester. I a, hoping to eventual try my hand at making my own fiber glass arrows from bul tubing.  Once again intentions can fall short in text so no "snidiness" intended just clarification.

Offline statikpunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Im interested in this myself.  I was thinking that a solid fiberglass arrow would be good, unless its just way too heavy, then one could just taper the ends and use appropriatly sized glue on points and nocks.

even if they got up to 14 15g per pound i would still use them for good tough stumping arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©