3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fiber glass arrows?  (Read 319 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fiber glass arrows?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by raghorn:
  I did not think there were any fiberglass shafts available now except the Thunder..something or other for kids arrows.

Hi Ron, have not seen you in years.  Guess I do not go to enough of the local shoots!

Those are Thunderglas by Game Tracker.  Might still be some around.  I have a dozen that Tom Axtel sold me cheap (yeah, that long ago!).  Can probably still be found with a Google search.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Solid glass are not available in different spine.

Jakeemt:
Browning did not make Micro flight!
I gave you spines on my previous post.
I said that I used a 1/4" dowel inside a #7 shaft...that is .250 ID- OD is .31
This fiber glass tubing you are looking at that is used for kites may be to light for arrows. There is also the glass tubing used for tent frames. Just because you have fiberglass tubing does not mean that it will be suitable for arrows.
It would be less work to just buy ARROWS or shafting from classifieds or e.b.a.y.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Thanks raghorn!

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
It has been my experience that Gordon and Microflite numbers are not comparable, ie #7's with both mfg are not the same spine nor ID/OD. Can't remember which is stiffer but think it was Gordon.

I have Gordon #8's and their inside diameter is the same as # 7's, .260, OD is .325.

In fact all mfg of fiberglass shafting made them in pairs to facillitate less inventory of inserts, ie. 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/11 and 10/12. Don't know why the pattern chaged on those last two but they did. Inserts for 7 will fit 8's and 10 will fit 12. Inserts/nock adapters were all based on inside diameter.

FYI, 1916 inserts fit my #8's perfectly, pretty sure if my memory is correct that 2016's fit 9/11 and 1816's fit 5/6.

Ron, do you find the added pieces of 1/4" dowels increase spine?

Biggest problem with fiberglass shafts was the shaft splitting on the point end from a hard impact. Have driven many inserts into the shafting.

Don't suspect you have this problem Ron with a 6" piece of hardwood dowel epoxied in, do you?

Fiberglass shafting is one of my all time favorite and there was a time about 8 years ago that I looked into mfg them again but it required way too many $$$$ and minimum first order was 100,000 shafts @ much more than a buck each.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©