3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shoot where you look  (Read 466 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
shoot where you look
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
This is a common saying that I just don't understand, this bow shoots where where you look. Does this mean that anyone could pick up this bow and shoot where you are looking are just for that person? I don't mean to start a debate, it's just don't understand.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: shoot where you look
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
I have always tried to understand that as well.  My bows all shoot where I look if my form is correct, and somewhere else if it is not.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
I have numerous bows in the "stable".  Some of them I can pick up and naturally hit where I am aiming, others don't seem to come so naturally, and I have to adjust my shooting to hit where I'm aiming.  Maybe that's what the expression refers to?  Or perhaps not all my bows are set up properly  :dunno:

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I think it is a common term for those who shoot instinctively. (not gappers, point of aim, etc.) It means that the bow is center cut  so when the particular shooter shoots it for the 1st time there are no right/left issues. There is no compensation or learning curve to eventually be hitting dead on.

Different bows I've owned have required me to build out the shelf or take time to adjust to. A bow that "shoots where I look" is on target from the 1st shot.

Hope this helps...I could be wrong but that's always been my interpretation.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
If you are constantly hitting high, low, left or right, you can tweek your bow to shoot where you are looking to a certain degree. You shouldn't have to change your form to compensate. side plate material and thickness, nock pt location, brace hight all affect pt of impact.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Yes...most bows I pic up shoot where I'm looking....I have two that needed the shelf built out but both were given to me...so I MADE them shoot where I look.

Now, if I shoot too light a spine, they fly left....out of any of them.

So, yes, some do shoot where you look....from the 1st shot....if the arrow is right.

This is NOT uncommon for folks with good form.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
For me this describes a bow that has a shelf that is well shaped and places the arrow very close to the hand, so that you naturally point with your hand/arrow at where you want to hit, and has a grip shape that allows good repeatability of hand position, also a bow that is well balanced so that you can keep a steady hand without to much effort, also a bow that has a design/tiller that is forgiving to small form errors aka "stable" if you will.  This will vary by person, it's honestly very subjective for the most part.  Some people call Hill style bows 'shoot where you look', but to me they don't do that, not until you learn the hand position/form required, as most Hills are not centershot and also the handgrip places the arrow further away from your natural hand pointing alignment, a typical cut close to center r/d longbow with a locator type grip probably better qualifies as a 'shoot where you look' type of bow.  Now that I'm starting to get the hang of Hill bows they feel more like 'shoot where you look to me', but it takes practice practice.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
X2 when I teach someone to shoot instinctive I tell them to point at something with the trigger finger of bow hand. Explain to them that they didn't have to conciously aim at it. Then shoot a few arrows up close by still pointing at the spot with that finger. Later you do the same without pointing the finger. I learned shooting selfbows to aim the arrow not the bow. I shoot them with elbow bent bow canted and can shoot danng near any arrow out of them. It's when shooting target style upright straight arm etc that trouble seems to sneak in. Bow canted arrow on knuckle any bow shoots where I am looking for me. Good form like Terry say's on top of this and you be a critter killin machine!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
For me this means the bow works for me. All my bows shoot where I look. I have had 2 over the years that did not shoot where I looked - instinctive shooting and one was taken back by bowyer and the other sold fast.
hunt it

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
I totally agree with nine words comments.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
If the bow, arrow, and string are tuned (right arrow spine for that bow, brace height and nock point) and the archer does a good job on form shooting where you look is much easier.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
The bows I keep are the ones that shoot where I am looking.    ;)  

I "gun barrel" and look down the arrow like a I do a shotgun or a musket.  With both I focus on the center of the target and let my peripheral vison tell my bow arm where it needs to be.  Sometimes I have to thin the pad or build out the riser plate and try different spines, but they will shoot where I look when tuned.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
The way the riser is cut and how it fits my hand makes a big difference for me. The ones that fit I can pick up once a year and the first arrow is dead on. Others, like Widows, I have to find the sweet spot on how it lays into my palm for it to hit where I look.........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
Thanks everyone
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Like to hear from those who have taken lessons from Welch.  I have heard that this is one of the first things he does with his students:  Make sure the bow is shooting where they are looking.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Occasionally I look where I don't want the arrow to go....you know the result.  The eyes are slave to your mind.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
For me I pick a spot and let the arrow go. So for me it means I should not have to adapt to the bow by trying to find a way to aim. I have picked up a few bows that I seem to struggle a little to hit where I look. I have picked up others and picked a spot and hit my mark on the first arrow. I think these bows also give you more confidence when you shoot. If you believe you can you can. If you believe you can't your probably right.
USMC 82-86

Offline jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
If it doesn't shoot where you look probably not set up correctly or improperly spined arrows.  Unfortunately I to often look at the antlers.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
I don't think I've ever owned a bow that didn't shoot were I look after I got it tuned.  :dunno:    But I was definitely more accurate with some verses others.

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
I never had a bow that didn't shoot where I look as long as I did everything else right.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©