3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shoot where you look  (Read 465 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: shoot where you look
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
I think it is a common term for those who shoot instinctively. (not gappers, point of aim, etc.) It means that the bow is center cut  so when the particular shooter shoots it for the 1st time there are no right/left issues. There is no compensation or learning curve to eventually be hitting dead on.

Different bows I've owned have required me to build out the shelf or take time to adjust to. A bow that "shoots where I look" is on target from the 1st shot.

Hope this helps...I could be wrong but that's always been my interpretation.
This is what I mean when I use the term. I shoot instinctive and if I can pick a bow up and it hits center horizontally I use the term "Hits where I look". Has noting to do with vertical. That is an issue with an instinctive shooters mind through repetition to compensate with any given bow.

For me it is actually dependent on what I have become used to in the past. So the term actually has no meaning to anyone else for reference on a given bow.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JimGoza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
I follow Stumpkiller's method. Doesn't everybody sight down their arrow in one fashion or another?  Even though this works for me and I can shoot accurately, the idea of aiming still seems just an individual trial and error process to find what works. Which leads me to ask:    Archers, is there a 'best' way to aim?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
The best way is what works good enough for your objective. Pie plate accuracy at 10 yards is good enough for some. Others might want to extend that to 15 or 20.  Still others want to shoot groups that put fletching together at distances they considerable reasonable in the field or on the course.

Of course there are some who poo-poo the group altogether.

For me, I want to stack arrows at 25 yards. I'm not there yet.

I have ZERO doubt that I could put a sight on my curve and reduce my group size by a very significant amount. In fact, I've done it for a few minutes. Then I quickly put that bow up so I won't give up shooting barebow.

I thought I shot instinctive when I was a teenager and before 1975. I believe I was really a gap shooter. Now I'm a string-wallking point-of-aim shooter.

One thing that is pretty true for a lot of folks, if you are using an aiming point (sight pin or point of the arrow) and try to force that point to be still on the spot you want to hit while aiming, you are in a counter productive battle. Movement is a good thing.

Also, if you insist on practicing one of archery's myths that the bow arm should stay up an still until the arrow hits the target, you are failing to allow natural follow-through of the bow arm.

I also realize some believe I've written at least 12 too many lines about aiming and have over-complicated the process.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Shooting where you look is pretty important, but don't forget about "hitting hard" and "smoking an arrow."    :biglaugh:

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Almost any bow will shoot where you look, if you shoot it long enough.  However, looking where you want to shoot is completely different.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
8 in pie plate at 20 yds works for me, if you have perfect form and use a reference, and practice daily there is likely no limit. I shot with a world class stringwalker and she hits tennis ball sized targets at amazing distances.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
"You Lookin' At Me?!"   :mad:   "You Lookin' At Me?!"   :mad:   "Yea, I Mean You!"   :mad:  

... mike ...   :D
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
The way I interpret this saying is, since we are all built a little different from each other, it's how easily one gets their usual site window, with some bows it's more easily recognizable more easily attainable. With some bows one has to search a little for it because of the contours of their body and the bow.
Which means, if a bow shoots where one person looks might not shoot shoot where another person looks.

Thats my take on it.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
I've always used that phrase to point out that misses are my fault, not the bows fault.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 02:09:00 AM »
Baseball goes where your looking, Arrow no diffrent, We over think shoting way to much. Shoting must have been easyer 500 years ago. No media to sell us the latest best.  I had over spined arrows for long time, After shooting them a 1000s times, they hit where I was looking. It simple, we make it hard.
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
need to complete that story

Did not know my arrows where over spined, bought Arrows at a yard sale. Not untill 2 years later, met a guy with a spine tester and tested the arrows 10 pds to heavy spine. did not have a problem untill I knew to much.
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline TRADSTYK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
I focus on one small spot, then the entire sequence of the shot is second nature. Never really look at the shaft. Follow through is cricial. Hit where I am looking...most of the time. Large antlers can be a problem!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©