3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Everyday of Season  (Read 420 times)

Offline yogibarrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Everyday of Season
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
I know some duck hunters that do but it's only a 60 day season.  Our Deer season is 123 days long counting the gun season which you can legally bow hunt.  Mentally, physically, and financially I think it would be a huge challenge.  I wonder if anyone has done it......?

Offline refugerambler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Everyday of Season
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I think I could mentally and physically, but my finances wouldn't hold up. Unless I got 3 months of vacation.
Bear Cheyenne 55@28
Brooks Artisan 53@28

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
Not for deer, I'd get bored.  Africa? BC? NZ? You bet I could.
lll

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
I hunt nearly every weekend of the texas deer season, and as much as I love to hunt by the end I am ready for it to be over,I can only imagine what it would be like to hunt every day,
Larry
Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Offline yogibarrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ladams:
I hunt nearly every weekend of the texas deer season, and as much as I love to hunt by the end I am ready for it to be over,I can only imagine what it would be like to hunt every day,
Larry
I agree, I hate to see the season end but it's almost a relief sometimes.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I use to do it when I was much younger. I made it a point to live where I could get to the woods after work during the week. I didn't actually hunt every single day of the deer season..(Georgia) but I would only miss an afternoon hunt or two.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
When i was in my  late teens, early 20's I used to getout  just about every day when the season in a bow only area was 61 days long.  I got out of work early so I could manage.  I've slowed. Down a lot since.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I was 55 when between hunting for myself and guiding I went over 2 months.  It was brutal and I was completely burnt out by the time it was over and it wasn't even that physically challenging.  Short on sleep and sick of lousy food.  I was ready for it to end.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I average 6 days a week for our 3 month season. Its tough and getting tougher every year. Thank GOD I have an understanding wife! I work 2-10 monday through friday so I only average 3-4 hours of sleep a night. I hunt weekday mornings and all day saturdays, sunday mornings and spend sunday afternoons with my wife.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »
A few years ago I saw some data indicating the average bowhunter hunts 23 times per season.  

The most I've hunted in a given year were two back to back years in the early 1980's when I hunted 60 times per year during the whitetail season.

This past season I hunted only 7 times (2 deer was all I wanted) which is one of my all-time low numbers of hunts/season.  Normally, I'm in the 25-30 hunt range.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Since I'm retired and able to hunt a lot more, I'm spending more and more time in the woods. I didn't keep a tally, but I probably hunted around 60 days last season, counting Texas hogs, Wyoming turkeys, elk, and deer. A dirty job, but somebody has to do it. Then, there is camping and fishing in the summer. I am enjoying retirement.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
You better have lots of spots to hunt if a guy was to hunt every day. I really think the quality of the hunts would go down with overhunting a spot.

I hunted 52 days one year (almost all in a row) but rarely hunted the same stand twice.

Would be nice to have the time to hunt every day though!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I have been retired for 5 years, I find I can hunt about every other day unless something comes up. When I do go daily I go in the AM one day and in the PM the next day. To get going early 2-3 three days in a row ain't gonna happen any more ....unless I'm on an Elk hunt or  deer hunt away from home. Any time out with a bow in your hand is time well spent!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
This year from late Sept thru mid December I missed about 3 afternoons.. I don't hunt in the mornings as I have to work.

I do have a number of stands but they do tend to get burned out..

I am blessed to live close to an area I can hunt and that I can take the time to do an evening hunt.

It was kind of a slow season for me as far as harvests but I loved every minute of it and am ready for next season to start !

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
That is a lot of time in the woods, typically alone.  Not sure that would even be fun.

I need to get out more than I do, but not every day of the season.

ChuckC

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
If you had good hunting spots, & (lot's) of them to hunt,   maybe?  But if you had to sit a tree stand the hole time, & weren't seeing much game, let's just say (Gone Crazy)

I can only imagine western hunting that involved lot's of time a foot would make it much more (enjoyable/doable)

Turkey hunting everyday, (Limited blind sitting) now that might work too!

I can tell you, I've deer hunted a fair amount this season. I've had about 8 good shot opportunities on deer so far, dating back to Sept.

I've taken 3 of the better shot opportunities,   results 2 dead deer, 1 miss!     :knothead:    
 Where I hunt it can be pretty slow, so around here      "[dntthnk]"      probably not everyday?

For me it's not an option, work get's in the way.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was in my late 20's early 30's I would go every day from Sep 15 until the time changed. Almost afternoons only. I would be burned out before the rut but I hated hunting with gun hunters all around. Now I get plenty just going on weekeds or a long weekend now and then. I love to shoot the bow for any reason not just hunting.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
Hunting provides a great deal of enjoyment for me. I'd never what to push it to a point where I got sick and tired of it.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
I've always hunted just about every day of the season. Until a few yrs ago when my health got too bad to allow it.

This is the first yr in a few that I'm not on the Injured Reserve List by now and if I can make it 8 more days I'll have hunted just about every day this yr.

When I don't hunt it's raining or real windy, etc. (that wouldn't bother me in the old days) It's raining now and I'm feeling guilty about not being in the woods. Hunt national forest 280,000 acres, so got more good places than I can get around to hunting.

Biggest problem I have with hunting so much is I'm not as intense and I pressure the deer too much making it harder hunting.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
The most I have ever hunted was 89 days. It was great to do and I would love to be able to do it again.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©