3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Boot for Hunting/Hiking  (Read 478 times)

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Boot for Hunting/Hiking
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
I haven't tried the Asolo boot and I probably won't cuz I love my Meindls!  If I ever wear them out I will certainly be buying another pair.  The initial cost seemed high when I bought them but I have zero regrets and think they are worth every penny!!!!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Don't think you'll go wrong with either.  I have the Asolo Fugitives, my first and I've been impressed.  Was a Vasque guy, but with my last two (gortex Breeze)pair my feet would get soaked from dew on grass!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
My vasques are all leather, finish/water proofing does wear off in time when walking through grass/shrubs, I treat mine by heating toilet ring wax and melting it into the leather with a heat gun, never had wet feet again.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Meindle Perkect Hikers for hiking/3-D. I wear Danner Pronghorns and Muck Wetlands for hunting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
Boots are weird animals.....

Okay years ago, I used to work in a high end outdoor store... outfitting folks that went to some of the most far flung places on the earth!!! I used to be a certified bootfitter that used raw leather, neoprene and various inserts to properly fit a boot to a foot....  

Good boots are good boots... Great boots are one built on a last (fake foots forms) similar to your own feet!

The problem with an ideal hiking/hunting boot is that they are two different requirements....They are like bows... They serve a purpose... Some are designed around a certain weight paramater... Some for hiking... yet are not suitable when throwing a 40-80# pack.... yet others around a temperature or terrain!!! I have a set of Scarpa mountain boots that would be great carrying a load in deep or a heavy load out from the back country... yet be too heavy for running around chasing elk.... With 45#+ pack they are great... under that... It is way too much!!! Those Scarpas allow cramp ons for glacier or heavy ice travel... But are overkill when carrying a day pack in warm weather.... I have low cut tennis shoe hikers that are awesome in warm weather on flat ground, yet suck in the mountains with 30# of extra weight... I have LL BEAN boots that rock with 25# or in warm weather (or in swampy areas) with some superfeeet insoles to provide better support....

So, depending on the requirements of the hunt... I could go through 3 pairs of boots on a back country hunt, easily!!!

So actually a thin fella could go lighter on boots and us more rotund fellas, would need heavier support for the same hunt... someone with great feet and knees may need one boot, yet another could need to buy other boots with much more weight and support...

Hard to say, just WHAT YOU NEED, in a boot... But yet... what works for one person, may be much more or less boot than what you may need in a certain situation or hunt... Lots of luck!!!   :dunno:
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »
Of the two you mention, the Meindl will be a better choice in the long run, if they fit your foot. I also like the Kenetrek a lot, and Lowa, Schnee, etc., all have good quality boots. I would recommend a full grain leather boot, because it will be tough and last a very long time. The Kenetrek is re-soleable -- I am not sure about the others. My favorite of the elk hunting boots I own is the Kenetrek Hardscrabble. The Extreme is a better choice for colder, wetter hunting.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Thank you for all you comments. Great stuff!
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
I like Danner I have had one pair for over 15 years they just fit the best for me.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
I have 3 pr of Hanwag and I like them over my pre-Cabela's take over Meidls, my Lowa, my Danners, etc. I have a Pr. of White Boots custom made for a pretty penny and did not like them at all so I sold them at a big lose.  I cannot wear boots with insulation if I am moving around like I do Elk hunting so I go with uninsulated boots...not all boots are made without insulation. I also have issues with the high top boots so I get the hikers that give good ankle support. As some have pointed, everyone is different.  It would be nice if you could try these high end boots on before you buy them but like most of the really good wool cloths you buy based on advice and hope you made the correct call. Most boots made in Europe I have found are good. I really want to try the Kenetreks out. I saw the line KUIU is doing with Zamberlan at well over $400..wow!  Boots are not worth cutting corners on but you can spend a small fortune trying to find the ones best for you.  If you can try them before you buy them by all means do!
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Meindl perfekt hikers for me and I have foot arch problems. Two elk hunting trips to Colorado have proven their value to me. No problems at all.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Lowa's
"Us vs Them"

Offline reprod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by 58WINTERS:
I've worn out 3 pairs  of the Asolo 520's over the years.  I need a wide width or they would have been the 535's.  Gortex can be too hot in hi temps.  Over all great boots.  One complaint the material they use around the collar  wears through before rest of the upper and sole are worn out.  Most of the high end boots seem to be using the same thing.  As an after thought the little metal gortex label near the ankle always gets ripped off leaving a hole.  I wear them everyday on concrete for work, get about 3 years per pair.  They are my main daily foot wear.  Solid boot overall.

Offline reprod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I've had the same problems with the Asolo 520's as 58winters.  I love the boots though.  Several trips up Mt. St Helens, many hunting trips.  Tough leather, longer break in than most boots, but tough!

Offline muth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
I have a pair of the Meindl "Canadas" and a pair of their "perfect hikers".  Both are very good boots.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
I have a moderately narrow foot and like Scarpa.  They are a little heavier duty than I would use for a short hike on gentle trail.  But head for the rocky hills- they are the goto boot.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Lotech Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
I see where one person recommended Danners. I swear by them. I also would heartily recommend White's Boots. Custom fit, spendy, and forever comfortable.
Shoot with a friend, Lotech Joe

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I am still in the process of breaking in my  Kenetrek boots and I am liking them even more. They are breaking in well and cuddling my feet very nicely.

Offline wojo124

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
I love my meindls.....love them!
Hollenbeck 64" longbow 50#@28"
Northern Mist 66"longbow 53#@27"
Early 80's 64"Custom Bighorn 66#@29"
pick your spot and burn a hole.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
I have had the Meindls for 4 years now and I love them.  Historically of those that didn't wear them got blisters in elk camp.  I can't speak for other brands except Danners as they used to be popular with the guys. I might add that my Meindls never leaked yet either.  The one down side to them is that they are heavier than some others, but they also outlasted the lighter weight hikers.  I see that Meindel/Cabelas came out with a new lighter weight version. It will be interesting to see if these are as good as the Perfects.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©