3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feathers offset direction does it matter?  (Read 441 times)

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Feathers offset direction does it matter?
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
I handed over a bunch of arrows to my local archery shop have them refletched from 3" rw feathers to 4" rw feathers. Collected them couple of days ago and turns out to be a mess! Glue all over the shaft and feathers making them hard. But more concerning is he used 1deg left hand offset on my right wing feathers. He said he forgot to check the offset angle on his Fletcher and it wont matter for a casual shooter like me. I still paid him anyway.  

Does it make much difference if offset direction is wrong?
Instinctive gapper.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feathers offset direction does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Sounds like you were insulted and did not know the difference, what's done is done, I would not go back and learn how to do it yourself. Probably a thread on here showing you how under "tutorials". Everybody needs some to fling around the planet, you have those now.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Learn to do it yourself, it is very easy. You don't need to spend a lot on a jig.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Your own flecther is nice because if have on fall off you can simply go inside and glue it back on instead of driving a mile or more down the road. It's not hard to do. Just make sure you use what ever jig you get being rightwing or leftwing and get the feathers to match.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
It's not a huge deal. I have tried it. Feathers seemed to wear faster.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »
Seems like poor service to me.  The gentleman that fletches mine would have made them right before he let get out of the shop.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 01:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
It's not a huge deal. I have tried it. Feathers seemed to wear faster.
That's good to know. Thanks. I figured the feathers will still add drag to the rear of arrow and stabilize it. They hardly spin now though.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Yolla Bolly:
Seems like poor service to me.  The gentleman that fletches mine would have made them right before he let get out of the shop.
Yup. A proper gentleman would have redid them right or even refunded the cost of the feathers.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 05:23:00 AM »
Fletch a man's arrows, and he shoots for a day. Teach him how to fletch, and he shoots for a lifetime.
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
The feathers are shaped in a particular way naturally.  When you bend them the other way, it is wrong. period.  Yes they may work, but it is wrong.  The shop guy didn't know what he was doing plus gave you poor service, period.  

When you take your car to get fixed and they fix it "kinda" but not right, and then they say " but for a "casual driver" like you it won't matter much,   do you accept that?

I agree with rraming.  You were insulted, and sold a bill of goods that you just didn't need. On top of that, they screwed up your arrow shafts.

Chuck

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
For their mistake I would ask for a credit in the shop. Use it to by a fletching jig.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
The feathers are shaped in a particular way naturally.  When you bend them the other way, it is wrong. period.  Yes they may work, but it is wrong.  The shop guy didn't know what he was doing plus gave you poor service, period.  

When you take your car to get fixed and they fix it "kinda" but not right, and then they say " but for a "casual driver" like you it won't matter much,   do you accept that?

I agree with rraming.  You were insulted, and sold a bill of goods that you just didn't need. On top of that, they screwed up your arrow shafts.

Chuck
I like your car analogy.  I did express my dissatisfaction but I guess it's no use. He then tried to sell me a fetching jig for $98 ($82 USD). I think I can get one online for a better price. Anyone can recommend one?
Instinctive gapper.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Bohning make a red polymer one that works great and is around $40.00.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nativestranger:
I handed over a bunch of arrows to my local archery shop have them refletched from 3" rw feathers to 4" rw feathers. Collected them couple of days ago and turns out to be a mess! Glue all over the shaft and feathers making them hard. But more concerning is he used 1deg left hand offset on my right wing feathers. He said he forgot to check the offset angle on his Fletcher and it wont matter for a casual shooter like me. I still paid him anyway.  

Does it make much difference if offset direction is wrong?
Time to purchase a fletcher, and learn how to fletch.  I have never been impressed with "pro shop" level of quality of fletching.   Learning to fletch will save you time, money, and you develop a sense of pride in self accomplishment.  Sounds like you like stuff to be right if you are worried about what he said.  My experience is I have have to fletch my own to get the quality I want unless you use a custom arrow maker.  Just my 2 cents.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Fletch them yourself, it is fun, rewarding and a great hobby.  What he did is way unacceptable IMO.  Remove those fletches, clean-up your shafts and start over.

Kris

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
If you do any serious quantity of shootin a jig will pay for itself in short order. Plus its a toy, and who doesn't love that. To be honest I think that shops which are familiar with Trad Archery are few and far between, and becoming less common by the day. I have the Bohning Jig and it's not bad. You can get nice clean fletch with it. I have a RW clamp and a straight clamp (for offset fletching vanes). It wasn;t very expensive. I fletch all my own, and for anyone who asks. I kinda enjoy it.
If you're really obsessive type, and only absolute perfection will do I'd suggest going with the Bitzenberger. Its more loot but its suppopsed to be the bees knees as they say. Oh and FWIW I think Tru-Flight is easier to fletch than Gateway, I still use w/e I have, just saying.
Good luck.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Learn to fletch and build arrows-it is a blast! A simple and easy way to decide whom to do business with: unless the guy/gal is a sponsor here just don't bother!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
What made you a "Casual Shooter" ???
Feathers instead of 1 1/2" vanes.  :dunno:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tony Chinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
I have the red polmyer Bohning it works great and the clamps are only around $10 each i have all 3 LH RH and straight.

Tony

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by BOWMARKS:
What made you a "Casual Shooter" ???
Feathers instead of 1 1/2" vanes.    :dunno:  
Exactly! Well I am one out of only a handful of traditional archers in my country. And there are no carbon and aluminum space age gadgets on my bow.
Instinctive gapper.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©