3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3-D Targets at Home  (Read 467 times)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
3-D Targets at Home
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Let us know how many 3-D targets you have in your back yard setup!  

Brand?  

Critter?  

How do they hold up to weather, and repeated shooting?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3-D Targets at Home
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
I have 5, all Mckenzies (deer-2, hog, antelope, coyote.) They have been exposed to NW weather of hot, cold, rain, snow, etc. for 8-10 years and still good to go. They have discolored and seem to have become "brittle" and would last longer if I had them covered.  

Squirrels and woodpeckers seem to do more damage than my arrows.   :rolleyes:
Lon Scott

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
A McKenzie deer target has been a fixture in my back yard for at least 20-25 years.I just wore the last one out and was thinking of trying out one of the Glen Del bucks.
They held up well until broadhead practce.Then got shot out pretty quick

Chickadees do the damage here. Had them bore a hole in one target's butt and make a nest.They bored another in ones neck and roosted in it during the winter.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
What surprises me it that you can shoot in your backyards.  I would like to, but am concerned about neighbors and shooting a weapon etc . . ..  I shoot in my garage instead, but have to go to the range for greater distance.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
It's legal in my area, I've been cleared by my neighbors, I am hyper-careful, and I have a large yard with lots of clearance on all sides.  My neighbors even bring their kids over to shoot from time-to-time.

Still interested in your 3-D target setups.  Anyone using the more exotic targets at home?  Leopards, baboons, goats, etc.?

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
I actually shoot from my front yard along my house into the backyard. When we want to shoot longer we go into the street.Yellow line on the road is 26 yards to my target.Can get 30-50yards if I go down my neighbors drive way. Yep,I've got good neighbors.  :D

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
Having good neighbors is a key.    :knothead:
Lon Scott

Offline jebeckjr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
I live in a northeast Philadelphia row home, and shoot in my backyard often.  I only have a square foam target there now, but will be putting a Reinhardt turkey or other small target out there in the spring.  I also recently put a bag target in my basement, and if I wedge myself into the laundry room between the furnace and water heater, I can get a little over 7 yards across.   :D  

I can't wait to get an animal target out in the yard.!
>>>----TGMM Family of the Bow----->

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Mine are sometimes in the yard and sometimes running from the yard, lol. In summer it's chipmunks and winter is squirrels and bunnys. For consistent practice it's a block style target. 3d versions are to expensive for my wallet, for the most part anyways. I always seem to be a day late for the clearance sales,lol.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Here's another thought for the budget-minded:  Many archery clubs frequently replace their 3-D targets that have seen lots of use.  Suggest that they offer them to members at discount prices rather than toss in the dumpster.  I've picked up critters before that have lots of life left for the back yard for a fraction the cost of a new one.
Lon Scott

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
I don't have any but my neighbor has a 17 target range in the pines across from my house! He has several Deer, Pigs, 3 Bear, Wolf, a couple of Mt Lions most are Mckenzies he bought them from a guy that had a range that went out of business he has repaired alot of them!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Whelen35

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
Reading this I realize how lucky I am living with my nearest neighbor over a mile away.  I have never really thought much about shooting guns or bows in my yard until reading this. thank you for making me stop and give thanks.  I usally have three archery targets in the main yard.  in the winter if the snow is deep, I set up targets up in the barn loft.  It is 105ft long so I can vary the distance a bit and not have to dig in the snow for arrows.  No heat, but staying out of the wind and having some lights to shoot at night is a great stress reliever.

Online The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
I moved all my 3D and assorted targets into my shop and shoot.  My shop is only about 20yds long, but I can open up the bay door and make longer shots.  For a backstop, I bolted 2x4s to the beams, and then bolted the 4x6' horse stall mats to it.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
4,(an Impala,black bear,2 turks) and a bunch of bag targets.Have 40 yards max.Got a few holes in the Sears shed tin behind it too.I dont have any idea how got there.Theyll last longer if you keep them covered.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
I only have a strutting Mackenzie. At some our local clubs they sell their used center sections for about 5.00 so I buy a couple a year and have them setup at different distances.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
I love my little range. 1st shot is a 22yrd Mackenzie buck,(slight quartering to). 2nd is a Rinehart buck,25yrd (broadside). 3rd is a Mackenzie feeding buck,20yrds(slight quartering away). 4th is a alert Mackenzie buck,15yrds (slight quartering away). 5th is a Mackenzie buck slight quartering away 25yrds. 6th is a Mackenzie feeding buck,20yrds,(broadside). 7th is a 15yrd Mackenzie turkey. 8th is a Mackenzie Black Bear 22yrds,(slight quartering away). 9th is a Delta Coyote,15yrds,(through a small opening in a pine tree cluster). 10th is a Delta standing buck,18yrds,broadside,(through a tight squezze in the pines). 11th is a 18yrd shot at a Delta Javelina,(downhill). 12th is another Delta Javelina,18yrds,(heavy downhill,with the hills crest in front of you). I have 2 treestand senarios to utilize on my range,and also can shoot it from the targets backsides with different distances,and angles so,it is effectively a 24 shot range when going back through on the flipside. Yardsales,Craigslist,ranges,etc. you can get a nice range for a fair price. All my targets are still in very good condition. I maintain them well. And I shoot there every day. VERY GOOD THERAPY after a long days work. I set them up through the woods,and pines at home. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline So-Mo Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
That sounds like a party (or an addiction  :laughing:  ) to me!

How much luck have you had on CL? May try to start me a little range on the cheap to tune up for the circuit.
Matt

Ben Pearson Rogue, 55 @ 28
SoMo Red Warrior, 47 @ 28
Compton's
NCBA
NCWRC Hunters Ed Instructor
"The shortest answer is to do the thing!" - Ernest Hemingway

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
So-Mo,I picked up 4 of CL. I check often on there. But check any local ranges,or rod&gub clubs for targets they have replaced. I really have had luck there. rat'

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
'Rat, make way... I think I'm comin' for a visit...    :wavey:

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Come on up Archie! We'll go Steelhead fishing after we've worn our fletching's out! rat'
  :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©