3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it just me or ?  (Read 607 times)

Offline LarryP243

• Trad Bowhunter
Is it just me or ?
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
just wondering if anyone else gets a little peeved at the TV hunters that leave deer overnight in what is obviously very warm weather and sometimes on pretty good looking hits? it seems they are only interested in finding the horns, because the meat will most likely be spoiled.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it just me or ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
You are not alone Larry.I cant even watch some of them.A real bummer every year once football gets done.Time to grab your bow and go stumpin.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
I'm upset with just about everything about most of the TV hunting "industry".
Your right that they probably loose a lot of meat.
Good film is their only goal. It's all about the dollars any more.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I'm with you. Around here it's so warm most of the time I couldn't consider a morning retrieve. If it is cool enough the coyotes will usually snack all night. Many hunters in our parts sport around for a half day or so showing off their kill (pork included) when all I'm concerned with is ICE.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
this is not only on TV. Up here we have a lot of non resident hunters coming to get the trophy of a life time, and most of them they can care less about the meat, what they want is the mount. It is big money involved and that is how the outfitters can make a living, by having non resident( usually American or european) pay big money for trophy hunts. To me it should be illegal, to hunt only for trophy!!
Sorry for my rant!
Cheers

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Not just you......
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
I never watch "hunting shows". I can understand they are trying to make a living; however, the majority of them are truly poor representatives of our hunting heritage.

They should really be called advertisement programs at best.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
I will put in my 2 cents. The older I get the more I think it is better to leave a deer if you aren't 100% sure you took out both lungs. Bumping a wounded deer and prolonging its death isn't a good thing either.

With that said I have no idea at what heat point/time frame it takes to actually consider meat spoiled. I have several times gone ahead and processed a deer I have left in 70 degree weather overnight and I ain't dead.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Oops
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I agree as well. Its all about the the big bucks and I dont mean deer.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
I'm the lucky one either we don't get those high-dolla' channels or haven't taken the time to find them.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
And it erks me when they shoot and immediately turn to the camera and start "celebrating" instead of watching the animal as it runs off.  I was always taught to watch how the animal behaves as it runs off and mark the last place you saw it.  They just want to put the mugs in front of the camera.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
The only show I watch anymore is Deer and Deer Hunting. Good info. Kinda get tired of them promoting their shot placement app but no big deal.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
I'll sometimes tune to the outhouse channel and last maybe ten seconds before I've had enough.  :p

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
I wonder about some of those deer as well. I'm amazed how very common it is for these hunters to make poor shots and/or get terrible penetration.

I can stand only a very few of these shows.

I typically only watch shows that are hunting something that is special (to me) such as: Moose, sheep, goat, Griz or Kodiak. I rarely watch any deer or black bear hunting shows. These got old for me a long time ago the same as shotguns for turkey or any kind of bass fishing.

There are some of these shows that I'll avoid even more than MSBC. I can't stand the current "formula" for a typical bowhunting show.

Neither will I buy any products named after the "celebrities" or celebrity nick-names from these shows. The only "name" I like are Bear and Easton on my bowhunting stuff.

Offline Frosty the Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
"Glory Hunting" that is all them and far to many normal hunters do. They are pretty much only concerned with the horns or trophy and some bragging rights.

Makes me sick, gladd i do not watch any of those shows, probabbly cause I do not watch TV.

I had some co-workers a few years ago who were notorious for this behaviour.
One of the "geniuses" shot a beautiful elk, then was too stupid to track it, cause he was to busy stairing at the headgear, so distracted he did not even know where or if he hit it.

Finaaly another hunter found it the next day for them, after they had spent the night drinking their sorrow away. Morons, worse yet is the one who get paid to behave in such a manner.

Sorry, I will give up the soap box now.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
I think most of the shows are to commercialized.Gotta have this or that or you can't kill a deer.The hosts of the shows playing games on their phones until the cameraman tells them a deer is coming.Hunting on what are pretty much deer farms.

I see alot of them giving the deer away to food banks anyway.Pretty easy to tell the rack is the most important thing to them.What I mean by that is they are looking for the biggest buck.I have no problem with that,as long as the meat isn't wasted. Although I think all the worry about the rack's score has hurt hunting.
I was taught to let a deer alone if it was hit bad.Alot of times you don't get much good sign from a bad hit and if you push/jump him,he's gone and you'll be lucky to find it.I've helped do it both ways and would say that the percentage of finding the deer was better if we left it over night.It may live for hours with a bad,but fatal hit.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
can't stand any of the so called huntin' shows...especially the slapstick ones...with the cutesy wife in tow...not good for comedy or hunting...sickening

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
There isn't a lot that doesn't make me mad with the tv hunting industry. A few rare good pieces in a puzzle of junk.
is it September yet??

Offline So-Mo Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
It's not just you, Larry. I cringe at the thought of not doing all you can to save the meat from the coyotes. I agree with a lot of the guys on here that it had turned into a money game for the film companies. Also, as warm as it is here in NC, and as bad as wild dogs and coyotes have gotten, that a long night is the best way to secure your meat.
Matt

Ben Pearson Rogue, 55 @ 28
SoMo Red Warrior, 47 @ 28
Compton's
NCBA
NCWRC Hunters Ed Instructor
"The shortest answer is to do the thing!" - Ernest Hemingway

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©