3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Smaller 3 blade or WIDE 2 blade on deer size game??  (Read 729 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Smaller 3 blade or WIDE 2 blade on deer size game??
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
What do you guys prefer for deer size game. Woodsman type 3 blade or a super wide 2 blade like a Treeshark?   Thanks.   BILL

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smaller 3 blade or WIDE 2 blade on deer size game??
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
I use 175 grain VPA or 180gr XL silverflames..they are both shaving sharp. So far the hogs nor the deer have been able to tell the difference!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
I use the 1 1/2" wide 2 blade Geman Kinetic Silverflame XL.

Bisch

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
I use 2-blade stingers.  I like the RFA Pheonix heads (3-blade, single bevel) the best but they don't fly as well as Stingers do for me.  Deer won't know the difference with a well placed shot.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
The simmon's heads will leave better blood trails for deer than a three blade head in my experience. If you put the broadhead in the right place they will all kill deer. If you have a marginal hit (which will happen if you shoot enough) the Simmon's heads help with the recovery.LCH

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
I have had good luck with Woodsman heads, but I am going to try some Simmons next year.  The pictures posted here have been very impressive!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
1 1/2" Magnus I or Zwickey Delta.  Next season I will be trying Simmons Tigershark.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
i vastly prefer the original woodsman.  it's easy to sharpen and flies great.  they make a big hole and good blood trails.  too bad they're not around any more ... maybe?  i hope that 3rivers brings 'em back!  

i shot a nice pig with a sharp snuffer out of a 52# longbow and though i thought the hit was good it didn't get the penetration i thought it should have.  i think that wider 3 blade head is best suited to a 60# or greater holding weight.  

i'd be concerned with penetration using a wide blade head, or any concave kinda head like the simmons shark, with my light 50# longbows, particularly on hogs.  

i did use a razor sharp tusker concorde twin left single bevel that pretty much hatcheted a small pig a few years back.  dead not 15 yards from where i hit it.  i like that head, too - narrow and long and ... sharp
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
My woodsmans have left absolutely crazy good blood trails this year.     :scared:   I have toyed with the idea of trying something else like Centaur's or Simmons, but am so impressed with the ease of sharpening and results that I can't justify it.  Especially with the price of the woodsman original 6 pack for around $30.. dang hard to beat in my opinion!!  But I admit those massive two blade heads look good and ornery on a shaft!  :thumbsup:

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
I am with Rob,while i would love to try some tree sharks out on a deer, im not so sure they would be the best thing for hogs,especially big ones.I do like the old 3 blade bodkins except for them being hard to get an edge on.If someone would make a three blade the size of the bodkin but better steel i would buy some just for hogs.Still,it is hard to beat the old zwicky delta.Easy to sharpen and the price is right too.I have only used the two blade delta but i can see an advantage in the 4 blade version to cut down on arrow pinch for big ol hogs.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
1 1/8" on everything for me, even a 200 grain, brass ferrule Helix.

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Treeshark ,interceptors, vpa 1 1/4 250s and big Jim big 300s.  With the Simmons being my favorite.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I cannot recall ever hearing of anyone here losing deer on a less than perfect hit when using the Simmons heads...
I know several here have recovered deer on marginal hits with the Simmons heads...

Sure it is all hearsay evidence...but I'm sold.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
I am a Woodsman Elite all the way person that is all I use for everything deer to elk.   Widow

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
I have used Woodsman and Zwickey 2-blade Deltas with great results on deer.  The Woodsman fly like a field point and are better if your setup isn't as well tuned.  The Delta's (in my experience) seem to penetrate bone better and are more durable.  Haven't used any Simmons yet but the  135 grain Tiger Sharks would be the right weight for my  arrows.  I hope the orginal Woodsman hasn't gone the way of the Bear Razorhead.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Smaller 3 blade for me.    :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Picked up a couple packs of Treesharks to use on the turkeys this spring.  I've never used a single plane head on game before, although I haven't ruled them out for deer next fall.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
I should have added that the reason i would not be comfortable with tree sharks for big hogs is because i usually shoot bows 50 pounds or less.If i shot heavier bows i still dont think i would use a tree shark on them but the land shark im sure would be great.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
The longer I hunt deer the bigger my broadheads get.  Sharks, Snuffers and Zwickey Delta 4 blades are the norm for me anymore.  The smallest head I've shot a deer with in the last few years was a Tusker Delta, which is Tusker's biggest two blade head.  Most of my set ups are in the low 50's at 28" and pass throughs are the norm.

Hogs are another matter entirely, while I don't get to hunt them near as much, when I do I still generally opt for a multi-blade, but "long and lean" definitely permeates my thinking in broadhead selection.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
I haven't shot a broadhead that flies any better than a big 2" wide Simmons Tree Shark. The holes they leave speak for themselves.

I shoot them out of a 50lb bow and they go through both sides of deer.

I don't hunt hogs anymore, but if I did the Tree Sharks would be what I would use.

Will use them for gobblers this spring.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©