3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sharpening fixed blade broad heads  (Read 332 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
sharpening fixed blade broad heads
« on: January 13, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
Here in a little bit I will be posting a link to a video I made today on sharpening fixed blade broad heads. I used a 4 blade zwicky No-Mercy. I made the video specifically to demonstrate that it really is not hard to sharpen a broad head or anything for that matter.

There is a lot of talk about holding precisely the right angle, and different gadgets and tricks and yada yada.  All sharpening takes is a steady enough hand and trial and error.  I sharpen my BH and knifes in a similar manner.  90% of the time I use my little smiths sportsman's combo diamond sharpener. I keep one at work for my blades, one in the house, one in the car.  Yeah I really like these things.  BUT if you just can not get the hang of it, do not worry because a  10 dollar accusharp will out sharpen most peoples best tries anyway.  They truly are great sharpeners, I like others sharpen by hand really for the experience and just to say I can. No different than the carpenter who can drive a 10P nail in three swings will always remind the carpenter who takes 5 LOL.   Then comes the carpenter with the pneumatic nail gun and blows them all out of the water.  

Have fun and I hope it works so I can upload it before heading to grandmas  to hook up her PC
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sharpening fixed blade broad heads
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
theres only been a couple of heads Ive ever had trouble sharpening. I think one was a Zephyr(sp) but it was over 20 years ago. I couldnt get that thing sharp for nothing. lol
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
I have ran into a head like that before to.  I know it wasn't me so I considered it a faulty head LOL.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Oh and the bandaid was NOT from sharpening LOL, those are the stitches from a work accident.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I'm glad to see someone else uses a butcher's steel on their broadheads!   :clapper:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
I'll just stick with my KME. That is the ONLY way I am gonna get a broadhead sharp!

Bisch

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
I finally found an idiot proof sharening system, I send them out to someone else to sharpen!
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline NOVAnewbie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
I just bought the smith's sharpener.  Thanks for the video, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »
SuperK,
The steel is the majic and the key to the whole process I believe. I love my steel and after the knive or BH is sharpened, for the most part all I'll typically need to do is use maybe the fine side for 8-10 strokes on each side and the steel them back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©