3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting #'s vs Practice #'s?  (Read 375 times)

Offline WhiteBeard121

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting #'s vs Practice #'s?
« on: January 13, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I've been reading a lot about being "overbowed" and started thinking about my personal process. For practice, I get out my 55#er and fire off a dozen arrows. By the time I get to a dozen, my shots are spreading out to a 6-8 inch group at 20yds.

Then, I drop back to a 40 or 45#er and fire off as many as I want until the end of my practice session.

My thought is that hunting with the 55# is okay, 'cause I'm not gonna shoot more than once or twice at a deer, so those two shots will be good. So, does anyone else use this system for practice and use the heaviest # possible for them for hunting?

thanks for your thoughts,

Dan

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting #'s vs Practice #'s?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Dan,

Good post.  As for me, I shoot my hunting bows all the time.  I do not go to many 3-D shoots, I mostly shoot at my practice hunting targets or stump shoot in the timber.  When my groups start to open up or I just do not have it mentally, I put the bow away.  I also shoot from my "expected" hunting postions.  So, for me, I shoot my lower poundage bows when my elbow is bugging me.  If I am fine, I shoot my hunting weight bows and practice being able to shoot them well even after multiple shots.  

That said, I do have friends who shoot lower poundage with light arrows 3-D bows and then they have their hunting bows as well.  I will be interested to read what others do.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
I do on a bigger scale. I'd say that you're doing well with your current practice. Focus on your form with the heavier weight and DON'T over think it. The mental aspect of increased draw weight is the toughest thing to get over IMO.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
I shoot what I hunt with all the time.  Even on 3-d shoots..

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
At present I don't, but I guess there are lots of people that do. I would think the older crowed ( which I am a member of ) wouldn't do this because it's harder for us to draw heavier bows when we're not warmed up such as sitting in a tree waiting for something to come along.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by D:
X2
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
This is the first year I've hunted with a bow less than 60#. Used a 50 pounder all season. But I practice up to 70#. Even when it was 12 degrees with a 20 mph breeze, I was able to easily draw the 50# Habu...pretty sure the 70 pounder would have been a bit more than I could've managed in the cold!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
I tried going away from my hunting bow to a much lighter bow during the late spring and summer last year then went back to my elk bow and holy cow it was tough getting those muscles back up to speed. Just got an ILF setup with two sets of limbs, one 55# and the other 65# at my draw length and I have arrows figured out for the light one that shoot the same speed as my heavy setup. So I plan on shooting back and forth with them to keep up my strength and work on form with light one and then try to keep it with heavy but shoot it less when I go out.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Good post, Iv' wondered the same thing. I usually shoot the heaviest bow I can. I do the same thing you do, usually. I shoot the first few arrows well and then have trouble keeping them within a paper plate at 20 yds.After a hour or so of this I seem to revert and start shooting well again- can't explain it! It's my way of keeping my muscles in shape.These long shooting sessions leave me sore for a day or two sometimes. My remedy is to shoot the next day or two with a lighter weight bow. I sometimes loosen up with a 45 to 48 lb bow and then go to the 50 to 55 lb. If I can shoot a few times a week my muscles stay in shape and trained. I wasn't able to shoot much for about seven months, so now I'm paying for it. Oh well, thats what happens when you start heading over the other side of the hill.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Oh yea, I guess I got a little off subject. I normally hunt with the heaviest bow I can. Once I get in shape I shoot my heaviest bows all the time.Use it or lose it!   :thumbsup:    :archer2:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Because I only own one bow right now it's the one I shoot all the time.  It's 57# at my draw, 29.5".  If I have been shooting plenty I can shoot it consistant for 150+ shots. If I have not been shooting regular I need a few warm ups then I can shoot well for about 30. I am trying to save now for one that's in the 50-53# range. I will be selling some other items that are not necessary, or that I can make a new one such as my 10" blade camp knife.

Chris

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by D:
X3!

Bisch

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
I shoot the same poundage (60-65)all the time. Unless you are injured, IMHO, you should always train with your hunting weight bow, any back and forth with a lighter bow is counterproductive to learning to handle your heavier bow.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
I don't shoot many 3D tournaments, but I shoot the same weight I do hunting when I do...  So, I guess my answer to the question is... I'd rather shoot a shorter session of quality shots with my hunting weight bow then shoot all day with a lower weight bow.  With work, and family over the last few years I don't have a lot of time to shoot either...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
I try to shoot my heaviest bow (65#) all the time.  Although there are times when age creeps up on me, and I get tired, so I'll shoot that day with a lighter bow.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »
I shoot the same weight bow for practice, 3D and hunting.
I believe shooting the same bow for all of the above increases my ability to hit what I am looking at... Brain is not attempting to recalibarate between different setups.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
On days when your usual bow feels too heavy, it`s probably just because you have not eaten correctly and may be somewhat dehydrated.

Gotta fuel the engine properly to produce torque properly.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
You need to be able to draw hunting what you shoot routinely and easily during practice.  Hunting, sitting still, being cold & stiff, in awkward draw positions means you will only be able to draw less bow weight IMO, at least up north here, in Wisconsin, during Nov. & Dec. etc..  When you sit on stand in temps. in the teens for 4 hrs. and a buck comes directly below you or other compromised shot scenarios, drawing your typical bow weight can be very challenging.  If anything, practice with heavier draw weights and hunt with lighter.

In the summer, standing shooting on the level with muscles all warmed up, wearing a tee shirt and shorts, I can easily draw 15% to 20% more bow weight than I can hunting…and I bet you can too!

Kris

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Ive got 2 bows, a 51# and a 56#. I hunt with both, the heavier in warmer weather, the lighter in cold weather. I practice with the heavier bow !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by D:
Same for me!  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©