3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: steel wooling limbs to clean them?  (Read 212 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
steel wooling limbs to clean them?
« on: August 20, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
will lightly rubbing the front and back glass on my barta bow to remove any scratches and marks harm it? some one told me its ok but i'm a bit leery.....is there a finnish on the glass that will rub off or will it cut through the fibers? just cautious but they need something to clean them with...thanks for any info!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: steel wooling limbs to clean them?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Depends on how deep your scratches are I suppose.  Don't do this just because I said so, but I don't think you'll hurt anything with fine steel wool.  If it's too course it will certainly scratch the glass.  Use very fine, like 0000, and you would have to rub and awefully long time to get very far.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
even if it scratches them, is it really damaging them or just making them ugly? the reason is i tried it and it covered the spot i did with very fine scrathes.  did i damage them or is it just an eye sore? i used oooo steel wool.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
Use water (or oil) with the steel wool and it will scratch a bit less, especially if you buff lightly.   You can get the finish relatively glossy if you lightly buff down thru the gauges of steel wool or sand paper.   You can finish with oil and rotten stone and a pad if you want to go that far.  or  put on a nice coat of car wax over your scratches and see if they kinda go away.  It will also help keep out moisture.

If the scratches are not so bad, I would just wax over it, unless you happen to know exactly what finish was used in the first place, in which case you can apply another coat over the bow.

Later
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©