3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switched to a Weather Rest from off the shelf- WOW!  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switched to a Weather Rest from off the shelf- WOW!
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Can someone tell me why my bottom hen feather gets fuzzy on the edges when shooting the Hoyt Hunter rest. I shoot 3 under with the cock feather at the 9 o'clock position as I touch it to my nose. 52 pound recurve, gold tip xt 400 cut 29 1/4 bop, 175 grain point with 50grain brass insert, 3 four inch left wing feathers, drawing to 28 inches. Moved nock point up and down until I have perfect flight. When I do my part,I can hit a coke cap from 20 yards. Just strange that the feather is fuzzing on the edge.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
I shoot instinctive 3 under and LOVE my elevated rests. I did the Asbel thing for years and at the time I honestly believed in the whole "arrow close to your hand" thing. Couldn't be more untrue ...at least for me! That style of shooting and concept did more to make my TP worse than anything else. Don't get me wrong...I did well hunting and competing but now know I could have done better.

I think people don't use them because they haven't tried them...or think they are not "trad" enough.

I encourage everyone to try one....don't know till you try.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Yukon:
I'm saying instinctive as G Fred Asbel see's it, not using the arrow in your aiming. Just wondering.
I didn't think that a lot of trad shooter where using them, elevated rest that is.
Cheers
It is physically IMPOSSIBLE not to use your arrow to aim when you shoot a bow.  It is in front of your EYES!  You can't not see it unless you are shooting with your eyes closed.

Next time you have your bow drawn back, wiggle the pinky of your anchored bow hand while looking down range.  You will see THAT, so how can you not see the arrow in front of your eyes...

No matter how much you say you are not using it, your brain is a LOT smarter than you are and it is using everything it can to AIM your arrow.

So,   EVERYBODY gap shoots    :eek:   Some deliberately use the arrow to aim, some unconsciously.  Most "instinctive" shooters have shot so much and are so good with the gap it is a smooth, effortless process.

Here is an accurate statement:  The only instinctive shot an archer makes is his first.

Anyway, it may take you two or three shots after shooting for years either off the shelf or off a rest for your brain to adjust to the other, but it will, and it will quickly.

Those illustrations we see all the time with the hand and the thumb extended showing the difference between the shelf and an elevated rest and straight vs. canted bow are GREATLY exaggerated.

There is a half inch difference between the shelf and a rest...your brain can handle it!

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Here is how I handle the difference between off the shelf and elevated.

Off the shelf I shoot split fingers. (1 above, 2 under) Elevated rest I shoot 3 fingers under with the rest located a finger width above the shelf.

Guess what You have the exact same sight picture. I can go back and forth with no problems. I do like elevated best because I like to shoot vanes for their durability and rain advantage.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Way more trad archers shot elevated rest than you would think. They were big when trad archery was just archery.

It is not so much the feathers contacting the shelf that makes shooting of the shelf harder. It is mostly the shaft contact with the shelf. Sometimes the base of the feather running hard in the shelf can cause you some issues, most of the time the issue is vertical flex of the shaft on the shelf that causes inconsistencies.

Feather wear when using a rest is likely the feather running on the rest arm. I would guess too stuff an arrow.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
When I started shooting seriously in the middle 60's I shot a lot of Field Round Tournaments and everybody I saw used elevated rests. That's why I asked about why lowering them closer to the shelf. I figured the recurve bows back then anyway were built and tillered for elevated rests.

I shoot seeing the point of my arrow in my peripheral vision raising it up or down as needed out to whatever my point-on is and then I aim with the point of my arrow like it was a front sight on a barrel..(not peripheral vision at those distances.)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I also shoot the bear weather rest. I shoot some off the shelf too. I like the elevated rest even on my self bows. I'm not worried if a caveman would do it to not. More so in arrow flight. I use elevated rests when I give bows away so they ca shoot vanes or feathers. Makes things simpler.
I don't bother cutting the rest up I just stick it on. Most of my bows are cut to center or near so the thickness of the rest is no problem.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Wow... great thread! I've never tried one either but I will now. I remember my father having a real flimsy Hoyt rest on the first bow I can recall him shotting... interesting
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:

Originally posted by David Yukon:
I'm saying instinctive as G Fred Asbel see's it, not using the arrow in your aiming. Just wondering.
I didn't think that a lot of trad shooter where using them, elevated rest that is.
Cheers
It is physically IMPOSSIBLE not to use your arrow to aim when you shoot a bow.  It is in front of your EYES!  You can't not see it unless you are shooting with your eyes closed.

Next time you have your bow drawn back, wiggle the pinky of your anchored bow hand while looking down range.  You will see THAT, so how can you not see the arrow in front of your eyes...

No matter how much you say you are not using it, your brain is a LOT smarter than you are and it is using everything it can to AIM your arrow.

So,   EVERYBODY gap shoots     :eek:    Some deliberately use the arrow to aim, some unconsciously.  Most "instinctive" shooters have shot so much and are so good with the gap it is a smooth, effortless process.

Here is an accurate statement:  The only instinctive shot an archer makes is his first.

Anyway, it may take you two or three shots after shooting for years either off the shelf or off a rest for your brain to adjust to the other, but it will, and it will quickly.

Those illustrations we see all the time with the hand and the thumb extended showing the difference between the shelf and an elevated rest and straight vs. canted bow are GREATLY exaggerated.

There is a half inch difference between the shelf and a rest...your brain can handle it! [/b]
AMEN, Steve O couldn't have said it better.

Reason elevated rest user obtain better flight is all about fletch clearance.

Why are some of you putting velcro on the shelf underneath your elevated rest? Seems to me to be counter productive-just another thing to grab ones fletching.

A feather rest is another form of an elevated rest-most likely the first type made.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
20+ year old dura flip on my widow. Group from 12 yards

Make a life, not a living

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Kelly, I'm pretty sure the velcro or fleece under rests is for hunting purposes. Anyone who has had the arrow fall off the rest onto the shelf knows the noise it makes. That, or people are in transition from shelf to rest and leave the velcro there in case they go back to shelf shooting. Those are my guesses...Ryan

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
SteveO, I disagree in the sense that just because you see something doesn't mean you are focused on it. Kind of like shooting a handgun whether you point shoot (instinctive no sights) or focus on the front sight or on both. When I point shoot, the gun is in front of my face, but I do not use the sights at all. They do not register in my vision. I would shoot exactly the same if the sights were ground off of the gun or if there are there. That means I do not use the sights at all when I point shoot.

I guess it depends on your definition of instinctive. Of course, that can be it's own topic.

Same can be said for an arrow. Just because it is there in my blurred, periphreal vision does not mean that it is used to "sight" your shot in.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
I may be wrong but i dont think rick Welch looks at the end of his arrow

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
I just so happen to have one of these rest laying around and will give it a try this weekend to see if it improves....anything.

Curiosity is getting the best of me.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
you cant go wrong rick, and for 3 bucks, if you hate it just rip it off and throw it away.

I need to go pickup like half a dozen more of these.

What's everyones opinion of one elevetaed rest vs another? like bear vs hoyt vs duraflip etc. I've only used the bear cause it seems easier to find. They all look basically the same, just curious who's had experience with more than one.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
i used them on my flat shelf recurves but the first time one broke (yes they will break) i went to using a piece of leather under my arrow and never had any troule with it.

arrow what arrow...i dont see no stinkin arrow!!!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
hill country bobcat, same arrows 12 yards

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
I like the hoyt pro hunter better. It's a bit softer and quieter as well as a bit smaller.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
I don't think it is possible not to register the arrow in your line of site our keep your brain from using it rather you know it our not. That is my experience based on archery, handguns and extensive shotgun target shooting.

Didn't Dale from Black Widow in one of the MOBB videos say he could shoot a light spot in the dark because he didn't have to sse the arrow, and have to say he tried it and couldn't?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Suppose it could be personal. I can throw a ball, shoot a gun, or a bow in the dark and have no issue hitting a light spot (or darn close to it :-)).
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©