3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming Elk Hunting DIY & Guided Options  (Read 270 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming Elk Hunting DIY & Guided Options
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Have been hunting CO for Elk DIY the last three years and would like to give WY at trip one of these years.  I have a couple preference points so I think I am good to go in the next year or so.   Are there any restrictions in WY for out of state hunters to DIY Elk hunting?  Any suggestions where a good area for an out of state hunter to go?  Any suggestions on outfitters who are traditional friendly and reasonably priced?
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming Elk Hunting DIY & Guided Options
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
As a non resident, you can't hunt designated wilderness without a guide. That still leaves lots of public land that is available. Sorry, can't help with trad oriented outfitters. If you aren't worried about grizzlies, look at the area around Dubois (areas 67,68, 69). There are usually leftover type 9 (archery only) tags in those areas that would be valid for the month of September.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Steve,

If you are going guided, the Wilderness areas play to your favor.  You typically don't need as many points there as a NR.

Can't help with outfitters, sorry.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
I can't really say what outfitters cater to trad per say.  Though the northwest corner is some good country.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline 8Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
So, from the WY Game & Fish site:

"No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in Wyoming unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide. There shall be at least one (1) licensed professional guide or resident guide accompanying each two (2) nonresident hunters. A resident guide shall not guide more than two (2) hunters in any calendar year on any national forest, wilderness area, national game refuge, or national park. Any resident possessing a valid big or trophy game animal license shall apply for and receive a free resident guide license prior to guiding any nonresident in designated wilderness areas. A resident guide license may be obtained at no charge from Cheyenne Headquarters, Regional Offices and district game wardens. "

So basically, any Wyoming resident with an elk tag could be a guide for up to two people...  I'm in a similar boat as the OP and wondering where to get started in this process.  Is it worth the effort to find someone in WY that would go with you, or are the other non-Wilderness areas just as good?
"You will never have more joy in your life than you have discipline." - Matthew Kelly
"You will never have more accuracy than you have concentration." - Me

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Dumb rule

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©