3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch???  (Read 501 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch???
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Good evening TG. Sitting here bored at work, figured I would research packs. I am moving to Missoula in late July/early August of this year. I plan on hunting from my truck to start out with, and after I get comfortable enough will progress to 2-3 day hunts. I want a pack capable of being a daypack/meat hauler that carry as much weight as I am comfortable with. My search led me to these two brands. Has any ody used either of these brands?  And if so any advice would be appreciated!   :archer:
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
I suggest when you get to Montana, you go visit Kurt and Mark and try them both with day gear and a load.  They are really at two completely opposite ends of the spectrum.  I had hoped to drop by Kurt's to try the SG when I was mountain lion hunting, and he offered me his pack to use on the hunt itself, but my timing did not work out for that.

PM me and I will give you some other things to look for...

Offline anw0625

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
2 great packs.  I say try them both and see which one you like better, look at features.  Both have great customer service and look at Kifaru and Blacks Creek.
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I heard somewhere that there is a shop in Missoula/Bozeman that sells "2nds" of MR packs at discounted prices, that also doesn't seem like a bad idea. Now if I can find someplace that sells top end glass at wholesale prices would be great   :thumbsup:

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Kifaru for me.  Spent time on their board and the big auction site and save some money.  Hill people gear is working on something right now to and if it is anything like their other offerings it deserves a hard look.

I did 8 days out of my longhunter in the Bob last Sept. And had no complaints.  On a budget, I would run a marine corp ILBE and never look back.

Online Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
I would also suggest checking out the Kifaru packs. I've got a longhunter with the load sling. Excellent pack. It will carry more weight than I can.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Mr Osminski, can I ask what you meant when you said the MR and Stone Glacier are at 2 different ends of the pack spectrum?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Stone Glacier is less than half the weight of a comparable Mystery Ranch.  Also one year old company vs. 50 years of Dana Gleason.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Oh, and we should drop the Mr. Osminski stuff too!    :campfire:

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Wow thats pretty impressive! Lol sounds good! I just wish the Stone Glacier came in that multicam pattern it is sweet!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Seriously if you like multicam try an ILBE.  $150 should net you a real clean pack that carries almost as well as the top shelf packs.

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
MR packs are bombproof. They are also HEAVY. I like the way my Kuiu Icon handles a load and its lighter than a badlands 2200 and holds more than 2x the stuff! I don't know much about SG, but as Steve said, MR is tried and proven.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
KIFARU!
i have a standard timberline 2. you might want to check out the longhunter, timberline or the new high camp bags on either the duplex or new bikini frame. the options are endless.
with the bikini or duplex frame, a bag of your choice and a cargo panel you are set. when the game is on the ground you can do one load out with meat and gear then drop the bag at the truck then go back in with just the frame and cargo panel and pack the remaining meat out.
there are may modular pods and small bags that will clip straight onto the bags. the grab-it is another item that is very handy.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
Can't say enough about my MR Crew Cab. Yes it's heavier than my Kifaru but.......packs like nothing else and you can't beat the versatility of the NICE frame. Pack weight hardly matters after you truly load it if it doesn't cary it comfortably. I would rather pack 90lbs and be comfortable than 88lbs and counting every step!

Good Luck!

Offline shootssmallbulls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »
I have a MR 6500 it is heavy but other than that i like it, it carries loads well and fits me great.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
What about Badlands and Eberlestock ? Ive owned both and like both. But Ive never owned a Mystery Ranch or a Glacier. How do they all compair ? You guys might change my mind !  ;)
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Nathan,

I carried a 93# load (Sitka Blacktail and day gear) in a Badlands 2200. I carried a slightly larger mule deer and day gear in a J107. Both carries were brutal and each left me looking to improve my system. BTW, that 2200 was way back when they were USA made; I would not even think of trying that with what they put out now.

I've had 3 versions of Eberlestock (x2, J104 and J107) and they are dandy packs until you get to about the 40# point. After that, they are horrid...in my experience compared to my Mystery Ranch or Kifaru packs.

I have talked to the owner of Stone Glacier and plan to give one a try at some point soon.  He is a hardcore backcountry hunter and I believe he has refined and improved on the NICE frame system.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
Thanks Steve ! That's great info and you have experience with them all !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Eagle48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Unless you have a short torso, it'll be tough to have functional load lifters with any MR out there.  I would choose Kifaru over MR, but I'm intrigued by the stone glacier packs.  There's a big review being done between the Stone Glacier and Kifaru as we speak that should be available in March.  It'll be on rokslide's forum, I would wait until it shows up before I made a decision on a pack.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
X2 on Mr. Steve O's comments (LOL)!!!
I used a Eberlestock Blue Widow on a Alaska hunt. Overall a good pack, but once the weights exceed 40-50lbs, it was brutal (at least for me). Summer before my hunt I trained by mowing the lawn, and walking with 50lbs of rocksalt in my Eberlestock. I was sore all summer! I figured it was just me, until I borrowed a friends Sitka45 pack. No issues with back or shoulders with 50lbs of rocksalt in that pack. After I realized, my issues were more with the pack then me, I began my search for a new pack.
I really liked the comfort of the Sitka45, but I wanted more cubic inches, plus the Sitka pack is "too busy", pockets everywhere!!
I ended up buying a Kifaru Timberline 5200. WOW! Night and day difference in quality from the Eberlestock (buckles, straps, stitching, material etc.)Plus, I can add pockets, pods, pouches etc. to the Kifaru. Took the Kifaru on a elk hunt fall of 2012, very comfortable with 50lbs inside. Plus it compresses nicely as a daypack on a extended backcounrty hunt.
I have no experience with MR, but I stayed away b/c of there overall pack weight. I am sure they are good packs.
My two cents......

chris <><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©