3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: That one miss (or misses) that changed the way you focus  (Read 106 times)

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
That one miss (or misses) that changed the way you focus
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
Serval years ago, I had the opportunity to hunt Javelina and small game on one the "pastures" of the King Ranch in Texas.Being my first trip to the ranch,expectations were indeed way too high. A cold front had moved through the area and the javelina and feral hogs were smarter than me, probably had their own campfire built in the cactus.
 on the last day of the hunt, I was slowly working my way back to the truck, when suddenly, 3 javies burst out of the dense undergrowth, not 15 yards away from me. I had the wind and was standing still at the time, so I was lucky instead of good.

The first arrow sailed right over the lead boar's back (I guess it was a boar, who knows?), the second arrow went in the dirt a foot from his snout and the third under his belly. Since I was carrying on 4 broadheads arrows and one judo, its a good thing they all ran off, since I would have missed with those too. Now,talk about embarrassed!.
 Being a trained sniper, competive combat shooter, and CQB instructor, I know the importance of focusing on the target. I have shot an average of 30 arrows a day for years, so why the misses? Lack of focus at the critical moment, a rookie mistake that I thought, I would never make.
 I remember reading in Asbell's first book on where he described missing a moose and Bill Negley admitting missing an elephant. I remember thinking, "how the he$$, do you miss an elephant?" Ha, arrogance is the downfall of all of us.
Since that day, I have never started a practice session, rove, or hunt without first remembering those three misses shots. It has made me a better shot, sharping my focus, because being humbled is the greatest teacher in the real world.

what's your most humbling miss?
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: That one miss (or misses) that changed the way you focus
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
My first 9 trad shots at deer all went over their back(early 1980s). Shortly after I read about most arrows shot over a deers back is because you are looking at the deer and not picking a spot. After that I really began to concentrate on eliminating the deer from my vision and concentrated on picking the spot I wanted the arrow to go. Since then my shooting has improved 100%.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: That one miss (or misses) that changed the way you focus
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
Oh yeah, 6 of those shots were within 15 minutes, all on different deer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©