3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear scoring?  (Read 439 times)

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear scoring?
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Iam thinking on asking local club to sponsor a trad. shoot. I would like to do Fred Bear scoring. Can anyone explain the scoring, I'v forgotten. Thanks
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear scoring?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
There is a ton of information on it if you Google it. But anyway, here it is.

**PLEASE NO OF SITE FORUM LINKS**
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
10, 8, -5, 0

Any wound, outside the kill zone is minus 5 points.

Bisch

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
That's how we use to keep score. Can't understand why you get 5 points for a wound.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks alot fellow archers. I feel the same barebow17 about getting 5pts, for a wound.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
" MINUS" 5 points
Tyler C. Moore

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Where do you hit to get 0 points

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
A miss should be -0- points.  I believe I shot with that scoring system up at Sugar Hill in NY.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
I like that minus five for a non kill shot. I always had a hard time why you should be awarded 5 points for a wounding shot.

Good Shooting,
                                     Craig

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
You get 5 points for a "wounding" shot because 3D is a game of target shooting, not hunting.  You don't get a minus score on a bullseye target once your beyond the 7 ring do you.

Everybody can set up their own course as they see fit but it's still a target match if your scoring it.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
Forgive me if my opinion seems shallow or entirely inaccurate,
I feel that a 5-point penalty is justified for a wounding shot.
Let's put this in a hunting scenario.
I find it more comforting to know that my prey is down with minimal pain and suffering. A wounding shot only serves to prolong it's imminent death. I think it's not right to shoot to wound, shooting to kill is more ethical and moral.

Wound you rather die with 1 stroke of the knife or letting yourself bleed to death slowly?
Aaron

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
I have to disagree with you there Bruce, When I am at a 3-d shoot I am there to make a kill shot.
 I go for the realistic practice it gives you for the upcoming season. The guys at the club use to shake there head when I would hand in my score card.  It would be marked with K,W,or M.
Kill,wound, or miss worked for me.

And you are right,beyond a 7 you don't get a minus score. You just get a low score.

Good Shooting,
                                  Craig

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
If you are shooting at a local club where a large number of club members will be larticipating then I suggest using their scoring scheme.   It will save you a lot of confusion and unnecessary griping.

I know you just asked for the scoring system and not opinions, but there are a lot if reasons why this scoring system has never really caught on.  

I have heard the wound argument before...  Are you going to draw a ten ring (line) for the femoral artery and an 8 ring for the liver?  Can I wait twelve hours to turn in my score card after I track and recover the gut shot foam?  Less than perfectly shot game is recovered all the time.  Besides, if you throw a slight quarter on  a 3D target the lines are in the "wrong" place anyway.

Are you going to let everyone approach the target to their ethical and comfortable shooting distance?  Are all the targets wide open and broadside with the near leg forward and twenty yards or less?

And what is the ethical shot distance on a giant foam mosquito anyway?  Where do you stop?

All this is somewhat tongue in cheek, but after setting up some pretty decent sized shoots for eight or so years now this is the stuff you hear.  Too much brush is not ethical.  Too little brush is not enough fun...

While 3d targets are animal shaped, it is still really a form of target archery.  When you set up a 3d shoot you are setting it up for everyone from kids to seniors and from novices to experts.  Novice archers and kids are happy just to hit the target.  Negative scoring is negative reinforcement for these folks.  It is also negative reinforcement for people who are trying new methods, equipment, etc.

Sorry for the winding road.,.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
  Can I wait twelve hours to turn in my score card after I track and recover the gut shot foam?  
That is some funny stuff.  

I actually shoot the 3-D courses like I am hunting.  To me, if i mentally draw a line up the leg bone to the back, a very low 10, an 8 and a high 5 are my preferred spots for hitting a broadside animal.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Gregg did make sense there.
There's really many considerations, especially since it's more likely to be a open-for-all type of shoot.
The penalty will be really unfair to novices and amateurs.
But taking it in a more professional or competitive perspective, I still find the penalty pretty legit. Not that a penalty can cause anyone to do less harm to animals, but it's just the "guilt-factor" for the game. Makes everyone more focus on landing a kill shot I feel.

And I read a little on 3D target shooting, seems like most clubs uses 11~12 for small circles, 10 for heart, 8 for lungs, 5 for body, 0 for antlers and hoofs.
Aaron

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
All this is somewhat tongue in cheek, but after setting up some pretty decent sized shoots for eight or so years now this is the stuff you hear.  Too much brush is not ethical.  Too little brush is not enough fun...

While 3d targets are animal shaped, it is still really a form of target archery.  When you set up a 3d shoot you are setting it up for everyone from kids to seniors and from novices to experts.  Novice archers and kids are happy just to hit the target.  Negative scoring is negative reinforcement for these folks.  It is also negative reinforcement for people who are trying new methods, equipment, etc.

Sorry for the winding road.,. [/QB]
This^^^^^^

3D is a game; it is not hunting. 3D is great practice. There are all levels of skill by participants who play the game. Having a scoring system that renders horrible looking scores (even less than zero scores! I have seen scorecards turnedin at Fred Bear scoring shoots with a total score less than zero) tends to drive people away. That is not the goal. We want to keep all we can involved and trying to get better.

Bisch

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
Fred use to have a favorite game. He shot 20 arrows, a hit on the first shot was 105 points, all others were 5 ea..
Max was 200 points put you needed a hit on the first to break 100.

Seen the other scoring at a lot of shoot, never heard it being related to Fred though.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
It always boils down to this.  Regardless of how you personally participate in the shoot, it either has to be set up as a competitive event or a fun shoot.

If it's just for fun, or hunting "practice" then no scoring system really matters other than the one you decide on for yourself.

If it's a competitive event then those competing should score in a way that actually reflects their skill level.  Giving a guy -5 for being just behind the 8 ring on a couple of targets hardly seems fair against someone who completely blows a couple of shots and doesn't even hit the target.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Here is an example of the complaints you can expect to hear......
"I had 6 arrows less than an inch from the 8 line and lost 30 points. My buddy completely missed those same 6 targets, some by a foot, and his score was better than mine".
Personally I like the -5 for a wound, but if I was putting on an event I would not do it because most people will gripe about it.
John

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
We had a club in Washington try this scoring.  After a few shots I would look at the target and tell the score keeper to give me a zero as I passed the shot as unethical.  Ended up shooting 10 of the 30 targets and scored 90 something.  I was about 50 points in front of the next shooter.

The club said that I cheated because I didn't shoot all the targets.  I said they set up an unethical coarse that contained too many risky shots that could end in a wound.

Now does this sound like a fun day of 3D?

By 10 that morning they had changed the score system back and gave everyone a free card.

I went home.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©