3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear scoring?  (Read 440 times)

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear scoring?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
We have fun with Fred Bear rounds. We usually do 5 for a kill which is the whole 8-10 area on the 3D target, -5 for any other part of critter and a -1 for a miss. The -1 for a miss is to help prevent somebody from "sandbagging". It's conceivable that one could have enough of a point lead that they could "0" out and still win.
 This is just a game as anytime your shooting you ought to be trying to make a "kill shot". Archery can be for fun too.
 If we're doing with youngn's we generally try to make misses a whole lot less painful though, like "0". Don't want to get anyone discouraged.
 It's fun when things happen like last year I missed on the javelina target and they all had the prettiest group in what they thought was a good kill shot. When we got to the target their group was about 1/2" out of the kill. Ha! My -1 beats a four -5's anytime.. But that's what it's about, better to miss than to wound.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
We had a club in Washington try this scoring.  After a few shots I would look at the target and tell the score keeper to give me a zero as I passed the shot as unethical.  Ended up shooting 10 of the 30 targets and scored 90 something.  I was about 50 points in front of the next shooter.

The club said that I cheated because I didn't shoot all the targets.  I said they set up an unethical coarse that contained too many risky shots that could end in a wound.

Now does this sound like a fun day of 3D?

By 10 that morning they had changed the score system back and gave everyone a free card.

I went home.

Mike
That is funny stuff right there!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Wingnut, that was hysterical!  

Gregg, you made a lot of sense with what you had to say.  Having a bunch of kids with me at the shoots, I want it to be as fun as possible for them, and dealing with their disappointment at having a negative score would be no fun at all.

I think it would be pretty challenging to try the FB scoring sometime, but it would be much less of a hassle if people would do it on their own, instead of trying to have everyone do it their way.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
I try to not keep score!  I always shoot better when I don't...

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
We don't have score cards at Long Hammock! Gregg D knows all about setting up targets at a 3D shoot..one thing he knows is that..you will never make everyone happy..

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
I like the scoring system at the shoots I go to or I wouldn't go to them.  I don't shoot well enough to rank in the money rounds, but I go because it is fun, it helps me to practice during the off season and I want to support the traditional shoots and clubs that put a lot of effort into the shoots they hold.  Plus I get to hang out with like minded folks and shoot with my boys.

Just as a thought, it might be a good fund raiser to offer a "hunter scoring round".  Take and split up the pot from shooters who participate and the club.  It could even be broken down into age groups the way traditional shoots are now.  Heck it would give me another reason to shoot another round and support the club with another entry fee!
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
At our area shoots usually you can shoot for score OR have a fun round. I typically don't use a scorecard at all. I try for a hit that would quickly bring down the animal and cringe when I do not get it where I want it.

And I agree that the -5 for a shot outside the 8 is not inviting for those still learning. A quartering away -5 for score would be a dead animal if placed correctly.

Increasing the fold is what 3D shoots should really be about; not driving folks away.

What was the question?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
The tenderloins are better in the McKenzies than the Deltas.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
3-D is a game. The vitals aren't even anatomically correct, especially when it comes to the 10 and 11 ring. So play the game or if you are a die hard hunter play your own game. Just remember, we are all out there having fun playing a game on Sundays rather than sitting on the couch.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
I as a bowhunter like the -5. But, I can see where it would be a turn off to a lot of folks.

My buddies and I usually score

K=kill
W=wound
M=miss

Each target gets a shot, and some get the "I would never take this shot" but, we shoot all targets and have a lot of fun.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
A guy from our club set up a small shoot last year for a group of us that were all in the club. So we didn't have to worry about other people complaining about the scoring system. Talk about brutal, 5 points for a heart, 3 points for a lung/kill shot and -10 for any wound. I ended up winning with a -33 score. Couple of my buddies were at -100 points or more. Now this was just a fun thing between us, but you had to have at least 3 good shots to offset 1 bad shot.
I have shot the Fred Bear scoring on ranges before and I personally don't care how it is scored. I figure if I do my part I will do ok regardless of scoring method. I know some people say they shoot for fun and shoot better when they don't score, but how do you know if you don't keep score? Writing it down shows you what you have done.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©