3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why is less always the answer to some guys?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
why is less always the answer to some guys?
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
Let me start of by saying that I just would like an answer, not trying to start an argument.  This is just food for thought.

I see posts on here about slacking form.  They usually start off by saying "i have recently had trouble getting to anchor" or "I have found myself snap shooting" or something of that manner.

Most always they end up saying, "I dropped poundage and all is well now".  

My question is, why is a drop in poundage always the answer?  Why not get a heavier bow and practice getting it to anchor, then go back to your go-to bow?  You will end up with the same results, but still find yourself shooting the same weight in the end vs. shooting a lighter bow.

I just wonder why folks seem to gather so close to the "not enough" border.  I hear folks asking "Is this enough bow for..."  Why even get yourself to that point??

When I am hunting and see a buck, if I ask myself "is this deer a shooter" I don't shoot.  If I have to wonder if its good enough or not...ITS NOT.  When I see a buck and instantly grab my bow to ready for the shot, it IS a shooter.

I feel the same way about my bows.  I have not asked "is my bow enough bow for..." and put anything in the blank you want.  I know that I have sufficent bow for anything I run across, incuding a not so perfect hit.

I jsut feel like we are running toward being a society of "barely sufficent" folks.  I hate to see it.  It seems like people will not put fourth the time and effort it takes to accomplish anything.  Yeah, its hard sometimes, so what?  I know guys that are 6' and 250 lbs that shoot a 40# bow.  That blows my mind.  If there is a physical problem, that that is perfectly fine, if not, then man up. My wife is 5'6" and about 130lb and shoot a 43# bow.  

Why would a person even want to get close to the "Not enough" side of the equation.

Just for reference, I am 6' 185lbs and shoot from 64#-70# @ 28" and I draw 29ish.

I know that there will be guys that dont like this post because they shoot the lighter bows.  I am not trying to cause problems or hurt feeling.  I just cannot conceive why such a thing would be deemed as OK.  Guys scream about ethics because a guy takes a 30 yard shot, but see no problem with shooting a bow that will only do the job in a perfect situation.  To me that is crazy.  

To me, the more accurate argument is nonsense.  If you work at it, you can be just as accurate with a 70# bow as you can with a 40# bow.

What do yall think about it?
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why is less always the answer to some guys?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
I hear what you are saying shoot as heavy a bow as you can shoot well. I will say back in the 80's when I got into bowhunting the craze was at least around Athens Ga mostly due to Archery Traditions to get folks to shoot heavy bows. Most everyone I knew had a 65-75 lb bow and only a handful of them had any business shooting them. Myself included. I used bows aroud 68 lbs for years then dropped to 56 and my shooting got tons better. Now in my 50's with a bum shoulder I have a 47 lb bow ordered. I highly recommend any newbie shoot 45-50 and only work up over time and yes any fit young fella should be able to shoot over 50 lbs.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
I also think we should shoot all the bow we can. And most of the time if it's not a health issue, a person can build up some in muscle strength. To be good at something requires work. Archery is no different. I think we should work at our bows and get better. However, there are physical limits for some people that make it impossible to shoot heavier bows. Good thoughts though...

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I cannot answer your question Nathan. I started with 50# a long time ago and that is what I am comfortable with. I proved to myself at Solana, with Donald's bow, that I probably could go up a bit, but it just does not feel "right" to me like the 50# does. So, I will keep shooting the 50# I am comfortable with. BTW, I do have complete confidence in my set-up. I have taken a 700# animal with it and am not afraid to sling an arrow out of it at just about anything out there. I do not wonder if I have enough to do the job or not.

I practice nearly everyday and no matter how good I get I know I can be better and am continually striving to be a better shot.

On a side note, I hope your wife don't see this thread. Telling everybody how much she weighs just might get you in a bit of hot water!       :scared:              :scared:              :scared:      

See ya later,

Bisch

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
My philosophy exactly.  Good post.  I'm sure you'll get blasted for trying to "prove your manhood" or some other such nonsense.  

If I'm capible of accurately shooting 70 pounds and you shoot 50, and another guy shoots 80, what's that to me?  We can't run 26 miles without training, but thousands of people train and run marathons every year, the same with bows.  The only way you can shoot 70 pounds is to shoot a 70 pound bow.  Shooting lots of arrows from a 40 pound bow doesn't make you proficient with 50 pounds.  A few arrows out of a heavier weight- even 3 -5 pounds more than you're accustomed to, will try your strength.  Shoot it everyday for two weeks and it'll be easy.

If one were seriously dedicated to it, and healthy, I don't know what the upper limit would be.  I suppose most of us could work into shooting 90 - 100 pounds or more if we shot multiple arrows every day and worked into that weight. Once you're fit to the weight, you should be able to shoot 100 pounds as accurately as 40.
Dan Brockman

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I used to shoot up to 70# then physical problems and aggressive degenerating body caused to either bow with a cr##sb*w or as I chose to lower poundage to 50# to continue to hunt Traditional. Remember no matter how much one works on increased poundage's for hunting Trad bows, science dictates limitations by genetics of the individual. The main reason to work in to weight/#'s is accuracy in the first place. I do know things (s**#t) happen (branch in low light, bolting game, etc). But why the comment "I know that I have sufficient bow for anything I run across, including a not so perfect hit"; When a bad hit is what one would take every precaution to avoid (no offence meant or argument just a point of view). Perhaps lower #'s is because there are so many of us older folks out here, physical limitations or just concerns for accuracy with what one can handle to hunt responsibly; Just my thoughts.
...Mark

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Even though at times I should stay quiet, I still open my mouth - I'll bite.
I believe there are two viewpoints on this and the later (not yours) seems to have developed in the last few years (during the ILF thingy). There are those that believe they shoot lighter bows more accuratly and using a lighter arrow, generate the same speed, in there mind = killing power. "a sharp well placed broadhead" I read alot. I've seen these balistic tests with light arrows claiming pentration is better - blah blah. I fall into that 6' 200 pound physical fit whimpy guy pulling 51 lbs or so. Never even owned something over 60. I do believe the heavier the arrow, along with speed is the way to go - although in my meager 8 years shooting this stuff not alot has hit the ground for me to verify it, I must just trust those wiser than me and continue. I will say I used some 55lb bows for 4 years or so and my accuracy is better with less, than more - and I shoot most days, it is not from lack of shooting. Anything under 50 lbs I do not seem to like, seems to whimpy to me - IMHO. Don't know what group I fall under but maybe we could have three groups - ha! Where would the "cut-off" be anyway? On a side note - there are alot of guys stating they have shoulder issues shooting higher poundage bows, maybe that discourages some from using them.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Nathan, I can see exactly where you're coming from. Why walk the line when most are capable of shooting more, and I agree.

However, my guess is that most of the posts you see about "is my setup enough" aren't people who are all 6', 200lbs, young and healthy.

We all know that arrow weight can be a big factor, I think we should all take your comments into consideration when choosing our bows, and shoot the highest weight we can before losing accuracy. But we should also be recommending that people with lighter bows be shooting good heavy arrows with good sharp 2-blades.

There's alot to making the decision of whether you can draw a bow with enough weight to take a particular game species, but theres also alot to choosing your setup.
For example, is someone can only draw 38#, maybe a board bow with alot of string follow and a light arrow isn;t a good choice. However a 38# or 40# recurve, or hybrid longbow with a good heavy arrow thats well tuned can still be very deadly.

The point I'm getting at here is that so much focus goes into draw weight, when its really the arrow that kills the animal. The weight of the arrow and the speed ... thats it.

I may shoot a selfbow that is radically inefficient but if it draws 60# everyone here will tell me I've got plenty of bow. In reality it may not be worth more than firewood.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
lots and lots of guys have brought down lots and lots of big game with bows around 50#.  Seems to work.  Nothing wrong with more weight, unless you can't shoot it well.  You are right that a lot of guys could work into heavier bows, but I think a lot of people would disagree with your statement that 50# or even 45# is "barely sufficient" for the job.  Working up properly requires a lot of time (something not everyone has) and $$$, since you should work up only a couple # at a time.  You'll need a lot of bows to get from 50# to 70#.  I don't have that kind of scratch and barely have the time.  So, I'm sticking with 55#.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roughrider:
My philosophy exactly.  Good post.  I'm sure you'll get blasted for trying to "prove your manhood" or some other such nonsense.  

Nope....he wont get blasted here...not on TradGang.     :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Well, like I stated, if there is an injury or physical limitation due to age or whatever, that is all together different.

Bisch, I have no problem with a 50# bow, especially with your 30ish draw.  I believe you could shoot more, because I saw you do it, but 50# is not the borderline setup I was referring to.  Its the 40ish and 30ish stuff.

Mark, the "not so perfect hit" comment was there because it happens.  I killed a big 8 pt earlier that started to move at the shot. I hit, and passed through, both shoulder blades.  That is just stuff that happens.

Bisch put it best when quoting one of his friends, "Its not that my heavy bow shoots so much faster than yours, its that i can shoot a 700gr arrow the same speed you can shoot a 400gr arrow"  That is where killing power comes from.

If you were driving on interstate and had an accident would you rather get hit by a Freightliner or a Geo...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
I think bowhunting and archery is like any other past-time to people: there is a level of ability, commitment, and resources all on a continuum of something like 1-10.

Some people are more physically capable (say younger, good genetics, better shape) which may translate to 9/10.

They practice every day, stay in shape, live eat and breathe the sport and all it has to offer. OK, so maybe score another 9/10.

Said guy has access to space to practice whenever he chooses, has a life that affords the time (flexible job, no kids fewer other hobbies). Another 9/10.

Now compare that to an older (or even younger), somewhat out of shape urban dweller with a high pressure job, two kids or other responsibilities who just views archery and hunting as an escape. It is something 'he does', not necessarily 'the burning passion' it is for some others. It might be the camaraderie of an indoor league in winter and some time in a deer camp with buddies in the fall. That's it. They may come out as a 15/30 in total.

Everyone sits on continuums. I think a respect for those who are 'getting by with what they can' is ok, just as it is for those of us who can to push ourselves harder to do so.

I live rurally in the middle of nowhere, have built a 20 target range, practice almost every day all year round and am blessed to be able to shoot bows between 66 and 74#'s comfortably day in and day out. I am constantly practicing and training to backpack hunt in the mountains.

My Dad is 66 years old and in moderate shape, shoots 50#'s incredibly well, and just loves to sit and listen to the wind in the quakies.

Different continuums, goals, and abilities.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Shoot what you can hit your spot with and don't worry about the next guy shoots. Less is more when it comes to this sort of thing.    :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
I agree with everything you wrote.I believe Traditional archery is a martial art and you should physically train to maintain your strength to shoot a bow. "It appears to me" that reading posts here on bow weight, that it has the tone of, if you are aging, you must go down in weight,maybe people need to try working harder at their sport. IMHO
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
I tried the less route only to find out that I am not nearly as accurate than when using heavier poundage.  I also tried going heavier only to realize that my accuracy and body both suffered.

I am at the age and realization that what I am comfortable shooting is my "less and more".

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Daz are you TRYING to make us all move to Canada! Thats sounds too good to be true

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
I agree with M. Mark. I think a lot of us on here are 50 plus yrs. It's more difficult to build muscle or even to maintain strength as you get older. Like everything, staying bow fit for the upper weight bows takes time. Not everyone has that time.I will be 54 in May, I'm 5' 8 1/2" 150 lbs., I shoot up to 53 lbs. and shoot almost every day. To shoot more weight takes daily training and is dangerously stressful on my aging muscles. When I have lapses in time to shoot I have to work back up to the 50 plus weight bows. So for me to think I could ever work up to and maintain shooting 60 plus pound bows is just plain unrealistic. Iv' always been strong for my size, but my size ( and age ) is a limiting factor.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Age will affect your abilities, no question.  But how much is totally up to you.  When my Grandpa retired, I was in my 20s.  He would work my butt in the ground when hauling hay or cutting firewood. He was 5'10", maybe 160#s, but he had DRIVE.

I just wonder if we are trading our drive in for a bunch of excuses.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Why not just paddle your boat and let the next guy do the same??
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
Ben,
I paid my dues as an urban dweller in my 20's, and lost a lot of hunting time. Living in a million+ city and commuting three hours a day in rush hour, all the rest.

Made a choice about what mattered to me. Time with my wife, and time to enjoy what makes my soul dance. I don't have the 'things' i used to have, and there are times i would kill to be able to have a good meal in a restaurant, but i did what i needed to.

There are lots of places in the Western U.S. where the lifestyle i have is available...   ;)
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©