3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why is less always the answer to some guys?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why is less always the answer to some guys?
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by WhiteBeard121:

Originally posted by Bjorn:
Originally posted by JamesV:
Why not just paddle your boat and let the next guy do the same??

Works for me too!!
Add another one.

A shoot through is a shoot through regardless if it's a 40# or 65# bow.

Dan [/b]
X2. We have guys come out to our gun club with their .300RUM that shoot 4" groups at 100 yds on a good day. I can usually shoot their gun into a group less than 1/2 that, but only for about 3 shots. Then I start to flinch.  There are days it takes 2 ibuprofen for me to get out of bed.  I work at the gym 3 - 4 times a week, but my bones and muscles are getting weaker - not stronger. I draw my 50# bow several times each day, but I choose to shoot bows several # lighter because I can do it better.

A hole going in and one coming out satisfies me.
When I can't do that, I'll probably quit bow hunting.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:

Originally posted by WhiteBeard121:

Originally posted by Bjorn:
Originally posted by JamesV:
Why not just paddle your boat and let the next guy do the same??

Works for me too!!
Add another one.

A shoot through is a shoot through regardless if it's a 40# or 65# bow.

Dan [/b]
X2. We have guys come out to our gun club with their .300RUM that shoot 4" groups at 100 yds on a good day. I can usually shoot their gun into a group less than 1/2 that, but only for about 3 shots. Then I start to flinch.  There are days it takes 2 ibuprofen for me to get out of bed.  I work at the gym 3 - 4 times a week, but my bones and muscles are getting weaker - not stronger. I draw my 50# bow several times each day, but I choose to shoot bows several # lighter because I can do it better.

A hole going in and one coming out satisfies me.
When I can't do that, I'll probably quit bow hunting. [/b]
Sir,
    with all due respect and as someone who has designed training programs for elite forces, if you are training 3 to 4 days at the gym and you are getting WEAKER, then you need to have your program scraped. A proper training program will always, either help you maintain your strength or increase your total force output. IMHO, you need to have your training program examined by a fitness professional.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
I totally agree with the fact that if you can shoot 60# well, why shoot 45#?I have reached a point where I am having to move down in weight.
20 years ago I was shooting 68-70#. 10 years ago I was shooting 64-66#. Right now I am shooting 51-52#. I just turned 57 years old and am 5' 9" and 190#. I was always able to shoot heavier bows, until the last several years when shoulder pains starting showing up. I recently bought a bow I had been looking for, but it utrned out to be 4-5# heavier than marked. I drew and shot that bow well one night for several dozen shots. My left shoulder complained severely for the next 3 weeks. 38 years of construction have taken a toll and so now I have to be content to shoot a few pounds lighter than I would prefer. I want to be shooting till my last day so I need to take care to not do any more damage to my body. So far deer have died just as quick and I had a pass through on a 400$ bear thuis fall with 51#. Age is the contibuting factor for a lot of us and everybody is not made the same.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Good discussion.  

I see both sides of the issue.  I believe that people shouldn't play on ghe margins if they dont have to, but I understand the physical and economic (time, commitments and money) reasons that people shoot less weight.  

I guess for me my threshold (arbitrary and random at best) is around fifty pounds.  If I ever drop below that I will have to ask myself why.   If it is because I am not investing the time and effort to be proficient at higher weights I will have to work harder.  If it is because that's all I can manage I will have to be that much more disciplined with shot selection.  Either way, I'm going to hunt with confidence within my self established limitations.

There is nothing scientific about the reason I am shooting the weight i am now.  When I first started shooting trad I ordered a 56 # bow. I ordered the first one because was advised not to be overbowed as a new trad shooter, but I couldn't make myself order anything lower than mid fifties.  I thought 56 sounded a lot sexier than 55.  I've stuck with that because I am thrifty and like to be able to shoot the same arrows out of multiple bows when possible.  Could I shoot more?  Yes.  Would I have to work at it?  Yes.  Do I feel compelled to do so?  No.  Do I have faith in my equipment?  Yes

I guess the overall thought for me on low poundage is why shoot on the margin if you don't have to?  The next question is what is the margin?  I guess I answered that for myself above when I said my threshold was around fifty.  

Seems like Nathan's, Jeff's and Terry's might be higher.  Seems like RC's  and Bisch's might be lower.  Here's what I know about that.  All these guys are thoughtful, responsible, seasoned and ethical outdoorsmen.  They are also proven killers.  They know their abilities and their limitations.  When Nathan says we should push ourselves there is a message there.  When RC says there's a lot of dead critters at the end of his blood trails that's a worthwhile message too.  Bow weight is just one part of the package.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I think knowing ones capabilities is the first step to being an ethical hunter,I know for my self due to injuries I can't shoot much over 50lbs.I'm confident with that,practice at all yardages out to 30 yds,still I won't take a shot past 20 yards,I don't want to wound an animal or see it suffer from a bad hit.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
Duncan idaho, you are how old? How many of those elite forces are in their 70's?

I just had the right knee replaced because of damage that started carrying a safe down the embassy stairs in Saigon. Removing a torn chunk of cartilage helped for many years. Arthritis finished the job and the joint had to be replaced. The left knee has torn cartilage from a bear hunt in Ontario in a mining area. That will come next. The arthritis in my spine is so bad I need an epidermal shot every 3 months to be able to walk.

The number of people I see with similar problems tells me I'm not alone. There was a time I thought I could work up to anything. Those days are gone. I used to get letters from my mom and she would write "I have to quit now, my fingers are getting too stiff". I'd tell my wife that was her way of saying she couldn't think of anything more to say. Now I realize, having inherited her arthritis, that she meant exactly what she wrote.

I'm now thrilled to be able to walk a Christmas tree farm hunting bunnies. There is no way I could walk a rough field in South Dakota after birds anymore. By the way, my conditioning program was developed by a pro.

I understand the original post and don't seriously disagree with it. If someone told me he could only draw 30#, I would suggest he settle for bunnies and foam deer.

Enjoy your youth as long as you can and live with old age as best you can. We all still enjoy trad archery, or we wouldn't be here. Some of us just enjoy it in smaller doses.
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Lets don't start calling one another out....and, this topic is not about old age or physical issues....he mentioned that in the original post.

Thanks guys....good discussion.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Wow Ron! I had tears in my eyes reading that.I'm glad you can still get out. Thanks for your service BTW!!

Good thread!

Bottom line for me is guys are at least willing to try/stay with Trad Bowhunting instead of the alternative.

There are a lot of posts about what to use and how. I was a greenhorn once and could only wish I had a resource like Tradgang to help me out back then. I'm basically self taught, both hunting & shooting.
Keep 'em sharp!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
Terry, you're right. I got off on a siding. I do understand the thread as it was initiated. Didn't mean to get defensive and justify my weight choice.

Ron
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Very well said, Gregg.

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
I have so many guys ask now a days "whats the least I can hunt elk with or deer with". If healthy one can work into whatever weight he/she chooses, its up to you what you feel ethical in shooting.. My 120lb wife shot 55lbs most of her life but had to work at staying fit enough to do so. I've gotten lazy myself, I shot and hunted with 73-76lbs n on occasion over 80lbs for 40someodd years, after a long layup I now dropped down to around 61 or 62lbs n find it works just fine.
Gary

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Sorry got sidetracked, if healthy most can work into whatever weight they choose, Today sometimes its about fads tho. Low weight is the new fad. jmho so don't shoot me,lol
Gary

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
For years i shot bows from 72 to 96 pounds and I shot them pretty good. What started giving out on me was a joint in my index finger and a joint in my middle finger, being a classical musician that was not a good thing, so I had to reduce.  I had a terrible time teaching myself to shoot with less weight, it took years.  Everyone is different, some people have more control of themselves when there is more resistance and others need less resistance to have control.  As long as there is enough power to push the right sharp broadhead for the game involved, I don't have a problem with anyones choices.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Well, I had a long reply to this thread typed up...then deleted it. Now I'm going to go shoot some arrows.

:archer2:
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Andy Cooper:
Well, I had a long reply to this thread typed up...then deleted it. Now I'm going to go shoot some arrows.

:archer2:  
Did that the first three times myself....   :eek:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
holy crap!  This thread is taking on a life of its own!  Good discussion guys.  I see good points on both sides.  I don't think guys should flirt with the hairy edge of barely adequate, but then again, where is the hairy edge?  I bet you get a thousand different answers if you start a topic on that too...

Now I need to get outside and shoot a little...

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by gregg dudley:

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Cooper:

:bigsmyl:
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
When I first started shooting trad at 12 years old I could barely pull my 45 pound bow but I worked at and soon was able to move up to 50 and then 55# I am now 19 and have settled on 60 pounds. Could I work up to more certainly but I see no need to because I know my bow weight will easily kill anything in North America.
James Kerr

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
He-men & Girly-men alike are always welcome at my camp fire.    :campfire:    :biglaugh:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
I agree with James. I think with fast flight capability and new designs that 45lbs is plenty powerful enough. I shoot 50 and 55 at my draw. I think a person should shoot what they are comfortable with,but there is no need in my opinion to go as heavy as you can. I think it will lead to early shoulder problems.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©