3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why is less always the answer to some guys?  (Read 1656 times)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: why is less always the answer to some guys?
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Some of us rely on technique, strategy and treachery rather than youth and strength.  ;-)

Five years ago I got good and plenty sick with a bacterial infection of my lymph system and went from 210 lbs to 155 lbs (I'm 6'3").  I still haven't got back the strength I had and have settled at 175 lbs.

I got up to drawing 70# in my 40's but never mastered it.  Now I'm back down in the 50 to 60# range, depending on bow, and for whitetails down to small game they seem to perform quite well.  I guess if I was trying to drive large broadheads through heavy game I would need more, but the 130 gr single blade heads on my 11 gpp wood shafts come out the back side as it is.

At the end of a day of slogging in heavy clothes when that buck skips up I can still get to full draw and hold it for an extra few seconds if needed.  I want to control the bow, not the other way around.    :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I took the approach the author mentions-  starting with something heavier to work the muscles and ligaments.  I bought a Samick Sage with a set of 45 and a set of 60# limbs.  I forced myself to shoot the 60 the majority of the time, switching to the 45 after tiring or sometimes warming up with the 45 and then shooting the rest of my session with the 60's.  eventually I purchased several more bows between 50 and 65 pounds and got comfortable shooting them all...in between I would default to the 45# setup to work on form.  It eventually got to the point where 45 felt almost to light and toyish.  Not a bad thing, just an indication that my muscles had become conditioned.  I also got ahold of a 75@28 warbow...for the very purpose the author mentions, to build up strength...I would shoot dozens of shots with the warbow, not really focusing on accuracy, though it certainly was possible...lo and behold after several months shooting anything 45-60 is extremely comfortable.  Not everyone can afford a half dozen bows to do such things but it is certainly possible to do it with a Sage and multiple limb sets for not too much $.  My lightest go-to is a 46# Zipper, and that's plenty for anything in FL...I also keep on hand two ELB's, one 58# one 64#...and because of their 6 foot length they are a pleasure to shoot.  There's no hardest rule for this stuff...it just depends on what your goals are.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Not gonna blast anybody, just gonna disagree that more is better, either.

You can't stack game animals.  If you are already shooting through them, there's no sense to working harder.  Time to start thinking about comfort, confidence, awkward shooting positions, cold mornings, etc.  All are very good reasons to drop a little bow weight.

The only argument where I would agree with MORE bow weight is if you are having trouble cleanly killing game.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
i'll add one important imho caveat - IF you clearly are able to way more than handle a 65# stickbow, but choose to play with a 45# bow, THAT is a disservice to yerself and the game you pursue.

maybe that's what you were really gettin' at, nathan?
Bingo Rob!  I've been thinking of a way to formulate my thoughts into words... Luckily for me you hit my thought right on the head...  

I work hard on my form with lighter weight bows, but for the life of me I can't be as consistent with the lighter bow as I can with my normal hunting weights...  I do realize someday I may need to drop weight, so that is why I'm trying to rectify the consistency problem now...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
PS:  bow design is a huge factor in all of this.  Draw force curve is what I mean...read the Traditional Bowyers Bible vol.1 for more info. My 6 ft 64# ELB is gonna be a heck of a lot different to pull than say a 58" 64# recurve...again, what is your equipment and what are your goals are the relevant questions..
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
I think you will answer your own question if you are still shooting the bow when you reach a certain age. Beyond that age, which varies with individuals, every year you are capable of doing a little less than you could the year before. Generally, parts of the body, shoulders, knees, feet, hips, etc., that may have been overused or injured earlier in life begin to wear out and fail. Life becomes more of an orderly retreat, or at least we try to make it orderly, than a victorious advance.

I don't mean to make this sound negative, because I don't feel that way, and neither do the other people of my age who continue shooting, albeit lighter bows than we used to shoot. Instead, we find our victories in continuing to do the things the good Lord allows us to continue doing for as long as we are able to do them.  

Do what you can while you're young, but be wise about it. If I hadn't run so many marathons in my 40's, maybe I could still be running today. If some people in their 70's hadn't pulled so many 70# bows when they were younger, maybe they could still be pulling 40# bows today.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Now that it's no longer hunting season, I put the heavier limbs on my Silvertip (73# @ 29"), and have been shooting that for the past while, focusing more on building up than form.  I still make sure I draw to full draw and hold it - so I don't build up bad habits.

Then, at the end of my session, I pick up my 58# Silvertip and really focus on making good shots.

To me, it makes a WORLD of difference.  I plan on shooting both bows up until season this fall.
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
A fella should shoot what he is comfortable with.I can draw and hold heavy bows but my shoulder hurts for two days afterward. I can shoot my 50 lb bows all day with no issue. easy choice for me. I have no desire to lift weights and work into a heavy bow because 30 years and maybe 400 deer and pigs have proven to me my 45-52 lb bows get it done.
  With an honest 400 give or take deer and pigs under my belt and a couple hundred more kills with guys I hunt with or have helped track I don`t know a of a single animal lost because the bow was not enough pounds.I can think of several lost because the shot was not in the right spot.RC

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
I haven't read all the replies, but in response to your original question regarding guys having trouble  shooting (reaching anchor, etc.) and dropping weight remedies the problem, I'd bet it was more of an issue with psychotriggers initiating the release.  Dropping weight would be a temporary fix in that feeling less weight on the string isn't tripping the wire.  However, once they get accustomed to shooting that weight, the problems might come back.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Shoot what you can hit your spot with and don't worry about the next guy shoots. Less is more when it comes to this sort of thing.     :bigsmyl:  
:thumbsup:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
Thanks for keeping it civil guys!!!

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
What DAZ, McDave and especially what RC said.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
I think the main factors in dropping weight are age, injuries, arthritis. Target panic doesn't count as dropping weight is not a cure. If you have certain types of target panic with a hunting weight bow you'll have it with a target weight bow.

I'm not going to get into discussing what poundage I shoot because it doesn't really have anything to do with your question but let me say at age 69 I'm hunting with the same weight I did at 29. I drop the weight 5-6# to shoot 3-D all winter, spring, summer and fall. Just more comfortable for me. I have a "form bow" which is 15#-20# lighter than my hunting bow which I  LOVE  to shoot. I also have a hunting bow 5# heavier than my hunting weight bow which I shoot sometimes and have no problem but I feel I'd hurt myself if I shot it as much as I shoot these days which is a lot.

So to answer your question I do step up a little sometimes but I also step down. I feel I'm playing it smart and protecting my body since I've been at this game for a lot of years since I was a boy and have sustained a couple of serious tendon injuries that required surgery in the last 3 years.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
my first recurve was samick sage 60# limbs on a high country sniper compound riser. i couldnt pull it back to full draw but as i kept practicing i finally would draw anchor hold release. One day i put the bow on a scale and realize @28 it was 67#.

I now shoot a predator recurve 58# @28. it has been the bow i really wanted. i am more than pleased with it. I can draw back anchor hold... still hold, and shoot haha.
I am 23 years old 5'7 and weigh 175 lbs. played sports my whole life.

i enjoy the muscle burn from this weight. instead of moving up i just end up with longer shooting sessions. even as i know i should stop i dont and burn my muscles. i will rest for 2 or 3 days take in alot of protein and get back at it. i have done that from day 1 learning trad shooting. i can make fine shots out to 20 yards with no problem.

i tried a 35# bow i cant shoot it for nothing. feels like im tying my shoes.

sorry to get off track but, as weird as it is i take bad shots when i shoot at something with a ring in it like a paper target. but when i shoot balloons, deer target, and stump, i shoot exactly where i look. i guess im weird haha.
The Fishburglar

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Here again What a lot of us older guys are saying is:  1)  When your young the sky is the limit when it comes to building and conditioning muscles.
    2)   Once your not so young you realize there is a limit to #1  
      3)  This realization varies with age, past physical stress, genetics, physical size, ect
      4] If your under 50 years of age, enjoy it and do your muscle toning now,because aging and all that comes with it is inevitable.
       5) If your much over 50 and you have been able to maintain hunting weight bows, then count your lucky stars and praise the Lord.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
I think you will answer your own question if you are still shooting the bow when you reach a certain age. Beyond that age, which varies with individuals, every year you are capable of doing a little less than you could the year before. Generally, parts of the body, shoulders, knees, feet, hips, etc., that may have been overused or injured earlier in life begin to wear out and fail. Life becomes more of an orderly retreat, or at least we try to make it orderly, than a victorious advance.

I don't mean to make this sound negative, because I don't feel that way, and neither do the other people of my age who continue shooting, albeit lighter bows than we used to shoot. Instead, we find our victories in continuing to do the things the good Lord allows us to continue doing for as long as we are able to do them.  

Do what you can while you're young, but be wise about it. If I hadn't run so many marathons in my 40's, maybe I could still be running today. If some people in their 70's hadn't pulled so many 70# bows when they were younger, maybe they could still be pulling 40# bows today.
:readit:    :notworthy:  

The problem for me is getting older and having so much to do I can't work out a lot to keep fit to shoot heavier bows.  Too much desk work, household work, kid stuff, church stuff, volunteer work, extended family issue….  I shoot some about every day, but to really pull heavier bows when you are older takes overall strength of the upper body to ward off injury for me.  I can’t just build up bow weight by shooting.  Right now I am trying to find some time to work out to maintain my 50-55 range and not lose ground.  Shooting most days is not doing it anymore because I find my shoulders and elbows losing stability because just shooting is not keeping all the other little muscles strong.    I can still pull over 60# without issue, but if I try to shoot that a lot I will pay big. PT is no fun.   :archer2:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Dropping weight to practice form is different than asking if the set-up is enough. I think they are seperate issues.

INCREASING draw weight for a guy who shoots poorly, and needs form work, will likely MAGNIFY his form problems. Yes, it will make drawing his hunting weight bow seem easier, but it will also reinforce bad habits in the process. So, it will make drawing easier, but will likely make him/her a worse shooter overall due to reinforcing poor form.

Dropping weight to practice form is fairly common for high quality repetitive practice. It allows the shooter to practice correct form longer and instill that into his shooting without the excessive fatigue.

It's just like lifting weights, light weight for higher repetition and heavy weight for lower repetition. Usually, using light weight is to focus on proper form.

Many people, including myself, could probably spend more time working on their shooting form since it is important for accuracy. After all, accuracy  is king. Followed VERY closely by a sharp broadhead!

God bless and hope this made sense,
-Charlie

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Got me thinking. I have been shooting a 45 lber and it is nice. I usually get the 54 lber going after shooting for a while consistently but when I just pick it up it takes a bit to feel good with it. But the thought was creeping in to just shoot that 45 lb bow because it's going good. I'll keep it up at least at 54 since it's not out of my comfort zone with a little work and not really that much when you are talking heavy bows. Anyhoo, just a thought.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Rifle River Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Part of your original comment, suggesting that one gets a heavier bow to work out with is what I did a few year back,I borrowed an 80 lb. bow from a friend, hung it in a handy spot and when I'd walk by I'd pull it back,at first not very far but by spring I could pull it to full draw.
I never put an arrow on the string, it was just to work out with. Needless to say I was able to go back to shooting 60# bow no problem.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
From a pure accuracy perspective, lighter weight bows are acknowledged as easier to shoot... and therefore more accuracy results. No amount of practice with an 80 pound bow will yield the accuracy potential of a 35 pound bow. If you doubt it, simply ask any Olympic archer why they don't shoot 60 pounds. It's not about commitment. It is about degree of difficulty and shot execution. That said...

Bowhunting isn't Olympic archery. But the same general principles of accuracy remain...namely good form through the shot. Increasing bow weight equates to increasing demands on the body (stress on muscles and related structures) which makes for more difficulty maintaining perfect form. That can be overcome to a degree by lots of practice and conditioning, but doesn't negate the accepted principle that a lighter bow is an easier bow (to shoot), and an easier bow will almost always equate to more accuracy. Lastly, many guys simply have limitations of practice time...of strength...of joint discomfort...of opportunities to practice.

Heavier (or lighter) isn't automatically 'better', but each can produce benefits of their own. I have to respect the guy who shoots 45 or 50 pounds with great accuracy and improves his shot/kill ratio. Bowhunting will always be about accuracy and placement first, followed by kinetic energy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©