3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why is less always the answer to some guys?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why is less always the answer to some guys?
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Shoot what you can hold and feel confident with. Its not competition, its what works to make an ethical kill when the moment presents itself.

I shoot 70# bows cause its my comfort zone and my confident pound to be at,when I had back surgery I started low and work back up,sometimes you have to go the other way for other reasons.

Its all a personal choice to me.As long as you can make the ethical kill shot with it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
Great thread!  Here's my two cents (and some of you may ask for change!):

I ran martial arts schools for a number of years.  I instructed student to work on mastery of form, FIRST, then to build power and speed incrementally.  Shooting form, like martial arts techniques, is key to not only the success of the practitioner, but also to the long-term physical condition of the practitioner.

So, my recommendation is to perfect form with as heavy a poundage as you can effectively shoot, THEN work gradually to increase that poundage (rather than settle for a lower poundage as "top end").

Apologies if this seems ridiculously simplistic.

Kingsnake

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
I agree with Daz.  
  You seem to think a lot of people have a "minimum effort" attitude, because they are not shooting heavy.  
  I agree that we should all hunt with what will get a clean kill.  But I am not experienced enough to know all of the possible right answers to that.
  I think the vast majority of trad hunters are doing the best they can and what they think is right.
  If everyone knows the limits of their equipment and skills, then that should greatly diminish the chance of wounding an animal. The ethical hunter uses his good judgement to pass up a bad shot.  IMHO
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
O.K. I will play.My first hunting bow was 45 @28"in my 20's and quickly went to 50 then 55 in my 30's and 40's and when I bought my first takedown in my 50's it was 57 then I bought some 60's and now I am in my 60 plus years and really enjoy my 50's plus or minus a couple.I may end up back at 45 if I get older.Wish I had kept all them light old bows.Your mileage may vary.Kip

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
i'll add one important imho caveat - IF you clearly are able to way more than handle a 65# stickbow, but choose to play with a 45# bow, THAT is a disservice to yerself and the game you pursue.

maybe that's what you were really gettin' at, nathan?
That is exactly what I am getting at, Rob.  When we were at the Solana Ranch, after breakfast, I would grab my bow and shoot.  Sometimes at dark spots in the grass by the bunkhouse (and that one plastic bottle!!) and sometimes at the targets.  I shot at the bunkhouse for an hour or so one day then went to the targets.  I shot a ton, but never got tired.  I shoot at the house enough to keep up with my 6 year old, now that a lot of shooting, and don't get tired.

As far a not being able to shoot accurately with a heavy bow, that is nonsense.  I can't shoot through the tab of a cola can like Mudd does, but I shoot consistent 3" groups at 25 yards.  That may or may not be good to you, but I am satisfied with it.  It is possible to shoot well with whatever you have, but it takes practice.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
I really don't think I can ever be as accurate with a 70# bow as I can with a 40# bow. Not for as many repetitive shots anyway.  I've made/shot them that heavy before but I just don't see the advantage of it over a 50# bow.  

I get lots of customers that call and say "I'm getting older and I want to go with a lighter bow, can you help me"  I don't really see a problem with it.  I'm certainly not going to tell them to man up.

But I guess different things bother different guys.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
Kevin.....i can shoot a 60# bow more accurate that a 30# bow.  It also has to do what u train with.

30#s doesn't engage my form...sort of ' blase' and i cant get into the shot.  LaClair won worlds with a 110 # bow.....do i have to mention HH and his bow weights and his 176 wins in a row?

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by bornagainbowhunter:
Well, like I stated, if there is an injury or physical limitation due to age or whatever, that is all together different.
It seems some folks missed the part where I said physical limitation are a whole different story.  I am talking about guys that have no limiting factors...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Ant guys....lets not turn this into a light vs heavy.....or' us against them'

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
T's right.  I will just read from this point on in the thread.  I really just wondered why folks settle for less when they can have more.  

I put a ton of effort in my hunting.  Wither its shooting 70# bows enough to be deadly, passing small bucks, walking miles into a swamp to find the perfect spot, all day sits in freezing temps or scouting when its so stinking hot the only happy critters in the woods are skeeters and cottonmouths.  

I meant no offense to anybody and apologize if I came across any other way.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
I'm 56 with 3 shoulder arthroscopies and shoot 50lbs.  I shot 70+ lb. compounds in my "wheelie" days 20 years ago.  I can't tell you the archers I've seen come to the trad side because it's no longer a challenge, but never grasp that a 70lb. long bow or recurve is not even kin to the animal they're accustomed to.  They're overbowed, their form is bad and only gets worse because their egos won't listen to reason. If they don't drop down, they eventually drop out or go back!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
I get a better release and more accuracy with a heavier bow.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
No...it's certainly not 'light v heavy'. I readily agree that heavy bows can be shot accurately. I routinely hunt with a mid-60s longbow and know I could go to 75# if I wished. I don't wish though. I have yet to see a situation in my life of bowhunting where 'more' bow would've made a difference on any hunting shot I've taken. I've shot through-and-through on a big moose with a mid 50s recurve.

The accuracy thing is simply arguable and never fully agreeable. Neither light or heavy bows produce accuracy...and both bows are inherently equally accurate. The variable is the man doing the shooting. If we talk averages, the lighter holding-weight bows are simply physically easier to shoot accurately for a clear majority of bowhunters and archers. That concept is the entire reason for the development of the compound bow and it's low holding weight. Yes, there are guys who don't need it or want it. That's fine. To say that heavier bows are as accurate as lighter bows is certainly true in essence. But on the average, most bowhunters will shoot the lighter bow with greater control, comfort and accuracy. Those who prefer one bow over the other should shoot it and enjoy it. They sure as heck shouldn't think anyone else will follow their example however.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
without a doubt and at least for me, the release is always better/cleaner/faster when there's more string tension at full draw.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
My Widow is right at 60# at my draw. I'm certain I could shoot 65-70 just as accurate as I do with 60 but I think I have found the right "balance" for me.
As I get older, 42 now, and my shooting tells me its time for a change I imagine it will be down in weight, not up.  I'll take a confident, balanced approach any day.

Good thread, Eric

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Nathan, I appreaciate this post and your thoughts. Being a fairly descent athlete in my youth I have always understood the importance of solid practice and "training". I had made the New Year's Resolution to practice and train more this year in order to improve my shooting. I currently shoot a 55# bow, which is plenty for the hunting that I do, however, I have noticed that if I don't practice and train sufficiently, I have a harder time pulling the string. And as we all know, it gets even harder when it's cold out and I have a ton of clothes on. I would agree that building up "strength" would greatly benefit a guys shooting. I would also say that dropping in wt. to work on form is a great idea, as well as increasing wt. to work on strength is a great idea as well.  But as with all training, be careful, know your limits, and listen to your body. I've noticed that the older I get, the more my body talks to me!  :)
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
The next question that comes to mind; (was a loaded one so I decided not to ask it.)

Just what ever happens, if it feels like your shoulder is going to be damaged, don't try to draw too much without working up to it.  It's better to shot all your comfortable with than to cause permanent damage and have to give it up.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
I won't go into why others choose the weight bow they do, but I'll explain mine.

Over the last 15 years or so, I've had to put the bow down for long periods of time first for military deployments and more recently because of two battles with cancer.  

Every time I've come back always trying to get comfortable with my heaviest bow (right now 65#).  At first it was because I always felt I have a cleaner release and feel like the arrow was going where I point with the heavier weight bow.  I guess that's the way my brain works.

Now there's an additional reason.  As I recover from cancer again, it is important for me to do as much as possible to get back as many things as I can.  Perhaps, it is childish, but shooting the heavy bow is one of those things.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Heres my 2 cents worth. Im a firm believer in shooting as heavy as you can and still be comfortable as well as accurate, we owe it to the game we hunt. As for those who are thinking or asking the " is this enough bow for..." question, the fact that you are thinking or asking it, means that you are not totally confident in your set up, which in my way of thinking means that it might be, but why take the chance?  by stepping it up a few pounds you take " might " out of the equation as far as bow poundage is concerned.
I will also add this, IMHO i believe that there are a lot of folks that underestimate themselves and there ability to go a few pounds higher, which may be the difference between a loss or a recovery on a not so perfect shot.   :coffee:

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
It took me over 25 years, several bows, and a few thousand dollars to work up from 45# to 65# and back down again. Pain makes you give up things you did when you were younger.

All my bows are 40#-47# now, I can shoot them all day long with better accuracy than ever.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©