3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tent recommendations please.  (Read 446 times)

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Tent recommendations please.
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
I have an 8 person Alaskan Guide tent that I really like.  I am looking to purchase an additional tent. One that I can use by myself or with one other person. Here is what I am looking for: (1) I want to be able to set it up easily by myself. (2) I want to be able to use two small cots for sleeping. (3) It has to be able to withstand high winds.  My Alaskan guide tent has done really well in high winds but a few of my tents previous to that did not. I am not looking for a lightweight backpacking tent, just one that I can set up camp near my vehicle and hike into my hunting spot and hike back to the tent at night. Please let me know what has worked well for you.
Thanks,
Mark

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tent recommendations please.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
take a look at Kodiak Tents

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
I have a Baker style canvas tent from Frost River out of Duluth, Minnesota, that would work.  Check out their web site.  It has a 7x7 footprint x7 foot high with adjustable 7x7 awning and side flaps.  It's not light, about 35#, but will do the job If you're camping out of a vehicle.  Easy for one person to put up.  Takes about 10-15 minutes.

For packing in, I use a 6-person Kifaru.  Just about the right size for two people and their gear.  As a base camp, an 8-person would be even better.  Either packs very small and light.  Kifaru also makes ultralite compact stoves for them.  Very easy for one person to erect.  Just stake down the perimeter and erect the center pole.  Rather expensive though.

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
a lot of guys around here use the montana canvas tents,made in montana and also sold by cabellas.i heard those kifaru are nice also.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
Here are my choices, Arctic oven 10x10(Alaska Tents & Tarps).... Not my first choice but a really good tent in windy condition, I had mine in the tundra in 40mph wind, not even fully guyed out and it is a strong tent.

My second suggestion, and my first choice, is what we have been using for the last year, is a EXP Short Wall, by Snowtrekker Tents. Ours is the 9.5x11(medium size), it has a internal aluminum frame, it pack pretty small and weight 25lbs total with the frame.

They are both easy to set up, but the Snowtrekker is a bit easier if by your self. Both of them accept stove.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »
I like the idea of a bell tent.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
I use a GoLite Shangri-La 5 Tent.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
springbar  I use mine in 100 degrees and minus temps here in NV.
It is a truck tent in that it is heavy, but stable, easily set up by one guy and the portico make a great summer addition.  It rained one whole tournament in CA and three of us were dry and happy in that tent
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
My eight man AG's fly shredded last fall, and I was heartbroken. So, I have been shopping and asking and came up with a new tent for my three week deer camp. I went for the Cabelas XWT 12 x 12. I was really thinking hard about the Arctic Oven, but the floor plan and another door, (and the price !) turned the tide.

But for a short hunt, I want a tent that is easier for just me to put up, and just me and maybe my dog to sleep in. It has to be sturdy and weatherproof. Well, I bought a six man Eureka Timberline. I have had a four man Timberline for years. I like it, it keeps me dry and is dirt simple to set up. I just wanted a hair more room. The new tent is about 8.5 x10, and  6'3" tall.

Only downside to it is that they have added mesh to the roof and sides. Maybe I can fix that. The tent is small enough that heating it won't be a problem anyway.

The non- closeable mesh vents on the new AG tents made me choose the XWT for winter camping. It gets to -15 or 20 sometimes, up in my area, and I want every edge I can get.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Killy-

You ain't $Hi**in' about the price on the Arctic Oven!  I was shoppin' those online and got to where I couldn't tell the difference between the phone number you call to place an order and the actual price.  
  :eek:  

They do look sturdy and warm, though!

Kingsnake

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
I have the Cabelas XWT and it is a great tent! I've used it for several years and in stromy weather it doesn't even flinch. I can put it up my self in around 1/2 hour at a lesurely pace.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
I have a Kirkham Springbar tent made in Utah, 8' x 10'.  Works well in wind IF you can stake the corners real well.  Easy to set up and made with quality canvas. I've been pleased with it.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
I bought a hybred canvas/nylon tent made by Beckel.  It is really comfortable for two people along with a wood stove and only weights 35 lbs.

http://beckelcanvas.com/products_view.php?products_id=12

Offline PArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
Another vote for the Cabelas XWT. Found one in the bargain cave for almost half price. Had only been used once and the only thing missing was the stakes. Plenty of room  inside with the 12 x 12 and plenty of room outside under the vestibule. Will withstand the strongest of winds and keep you nice and dry at ETAR with those wacky storms. Free standing poles make it possible for a one man set up too.
Shoot Straight

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Check out the Soulpad easy to set up canvas tent

I have a 13 footer, perfect for 2 hunters with cots and gear. Extremely weatherproof.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
The springbar tent is a very good tent, one man set up fast and easy, the Kodiak tent is almost the same but its made in china Springbars are 100% made in USA. I like the vagabond series but they have several designs,
   http://www.kirkhams.com/springbar-tents/  
  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/134sawney/elk2011001_zps3bb0f79e.jpg

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
American Camper, I got it from toolsnow.com

I paid $19.50 for it.  It's lasted me 5 years now.

It is small but I wouldn't want to try and back pack with it, it wieghs too much for that.

TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
I have a Cabela's Outback Lodge 12 man and really like it. I've weathered several storms and it never budged or leaked. The short straight sides make it cot friendly. The center pole is 9' 6" which gives lots of headroom. I've had it several years now and have not found a down side, I would buy another one.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
I have a sierra 3 man tent. 4 season. It may be a bit heavy for long range hiking. As far as 3 man goes, it would be rather snug inside. I esed it once at the end of bow season in deep snow and 15 degree temp. The hunt was great but it is not really for me. Been trying to sell it but I guess that kind of hunt is for no one I know either. This is the kind of tent you would see on Mt Everest.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Since you said close by the vehicle..hike to and from the hunt; I know you ask about a tent..but;

this is the bedroom

with a 10 x 10 First Up shelter from Wally's Place..
you can tow these with almost anything and then the shelter becomes lounge/dining area...

The folks who have seen this at the Southern Indiana Bowhunt have spoken highly of it.
The 1st Up, by itself would be good too!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©