3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Waxing Nostalgic  (Read 913 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Waxing Nostalgic
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Remember when you're hunting coat was the same coat you wore all winter? Strings for your bow were available at the sports store. 180 meant a buck's weight not inches of rack. Outdoor Life, Field and Stream and Sports Afield were worth reading. Aluminum was the big deal. Fred Bear was on TV if you could get the channel. At least the bows from then still shoot    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Waxing Nostalgic
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
:campfire:

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Yep...my jacket was an olive drab military jacket.  It had a liner i could zip in when it got really cold.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
What I miss the most is when posted signs just didn't exist. You asked to hunt a piece of property and they not only said yes, they told you where the best spots to set up could be found. They wanted to see what you killed not have it covered up when you were driving it to be checked in.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
I remember the Outdoor Life of old and Field and Stream particularly. I would read of the adventures with the hand drawn renderings of the action. I miss those days and look for old magazines when antiquing.

I recall K-Mart used to be a Bear retailer and I would covet the green Bear Razorheads, and drooled when the stainless Bear Super Razorheads were new and on display. Bear arrows were in their cardboard boxes hanging on a steel rod hanger, or leaned back ever so perfectly to flip through for a teenager yearning to be Fred Bear and take game as he did.

My wife found an old Field and Stream and had it framed for me a few years ago.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
:biglaugh:  Remember all to well......went in to the woods with an apple, and a PBJ stuffed in your shirt with a knife and a chunk of rope on your belt......stayed all day! LOL, some days froze your butt off if you got a bit wet!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
Used to save the best Halloween candy for hunting Ron. The turkey sandwich after Thanksgiving always tasted best in the woods.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
How about the smell of hardwood floors and Hoppe's #9 in the local sporting goods store. Racks of recurves along side of the rifles and shotguns, and a wood stove heating the place, with 'old' guys having a cup of java and telling hunting stories.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
that's a great F&S cover plus its the year of my birth. I got a 1961 copy for Christmas from a friend!

Knock knock on a strangers door, " say can I bow hunt on your land? You  want to hunt what? No I want to hunt on your land with a bow. With a bow? BE my guest!"

Those are the conversations I miss!
Make a life, not a living

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
The first store bought bow I ever got was a Bear Red Fox on Christmas when I was seven. Before that it was maple saplings and bailing twine with willow branches for arrows LOL. Squirrel population took a dip after that Christmas.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Arrows were loose in a display box (69¢ each, no spine listed).  Fiberglass hunting arrows cost something like $3.00 each, but the head (Bear Razorhead) was attached.

You learned archery in gym class and watched Ben Pearson hunting videos (16mm).

Curt Gowdy never whispered.  He hunted and over-dubbed the narrative afterwards.

I still refer to bucks by dressed weight.  Have no idea how to measure antlers (not that any I have taken require much recording).

I have my wool Fedora hat on my coat-tree at work; same hat I frequently hunt under.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
I didin't know anything about tuning, just used Kentucky windage, come to think of It, I still don't know much about tuning    :confused:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
You're so old you had to tune a bow on AM stations.    :laughing:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
I remember those days well,you could hunt if you asked permission,we used to climb trees no stand and we were always excited.I truly wish they would return.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
I have bunch of old hunting/shooting mags put togehter in hardbound. They emphasized, DIY for cheap, hunting hard. Also looking thru some the other night, and showed a gunhunter and a archer with a deer each, small basket rack 6 & 8point, and the mag called them "Dandy Bucks any hunter worth the name would be satisfied with". I though man does that sum it up. The wife and I both hunt hard, and are usually successful, to fill the freezers. It is a yearly ritual, and sickens me to see so many folks that think all old deer meat is good for is jerky. I remember if you had the old OD army surp. jacket with a liner, you had the good equipment, and your work boots were your hunting boots, you put on thick or 2 pairs of socks.l
samuel koger

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
God,Those were the good old days.I remember so vividly duck hunting with dad and the smell of the shotgun powder and spent shells,along with the thick warm body of a drake Mallard.Dad passed this year and all he taught me make it all so special.Dad was the only one on the block that had an actual subscription to Outdoor Life,the whole block read it.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Still a bunch of old skeletons in trees where I hunt Grinch of stands made with 2x4 technology.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Not many deer in our area back in the late 50's and no one even expected to see a deer, much less shoot at one. Finding a deer track was a biggie. Bowhunting was a novelty and the landowners would let you hunt anytime. Arrows were 35 cents for the cheap ones and 50 cents for the nice ones with crimped on field points. I finally got a real bow, a Pearson two piece all fiberglass 50# bow. That old thing is still in the family and shootable. Never had more than one jacket, wore two pairs of jeans for cold weather and leather boots. I wear more clothes to walk to the mail box now.

The good ole days are here now.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Dave there are alot of two by four technology,floating around our woods,when I see one I start looking for a place to set up a ground blind now.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
The Hardware store sold Hunting and fishing equipment. You could buy shells at the Feed store.If some of You young guys don't know what a feed store is ask Your Grandparents. LOL

My first bow came from Perkin's Hardware. A Bear fiberglass recurve and 3 wooden arrows with crimped on field points.

I've still got the bow but the arrows are long gone.

bretto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©