3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Waxing Nostalgic  (Read 915 times)

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Waxing Nostalgic
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
"the arrows are long gone."
At least some things don't change...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by GRINCH:
Dave there are alot of two by four technology,floating around our woods,when I see one I start looking for a place to set up a ground blind now.
Exactly what I do now......Got my first bow, a Browning Nomad Stalker for $37, didn't have the $47.50 the Bear Grizzly......matched arrows??? LOL!   :saywhat:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
As a kid I remember True Value hardware store sold wooden arrows and Ben Pearson Jet bows(red fiberglass kids bows) we used to save our allowance to buy arrows for frog shooting.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Fred on American Sportsman.  The "outdoor" shows of today are pathetic by comparison.  That theme song still plays nonstop in my head!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Marty Stoufer's Wild America
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I have most of my Outdoor Life and Sports Afield magazines from my teens.  They cared about the health of wild places and wilderness, real pollution and encroachment, not this phony climate change crap that we are getting fed today.  Outdoorsmen used to be environmentalists. The environmentalists of today are liberal wimps that don't have a clue what real pollution is.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Yeah I remember.  Red Ball Jets; "a little dab'l do ya"; hula hoops; juke boxes; 5 cent popsicles; plaid hunting clothes; product quality; haircuts (not 'hairstyles");  respect for others; belief in tradition; getting Dad's last sip of Pabst Blue Ribbon.  Sweet Lord, take us back!  Funny thing is, sites like this one are one of the very few 'pseudo time machines' that can take us back, at least just a little bit, to how it used to be.  If only we could each bottle what our memories remember as the best things in life, the world would be a much happier place!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
'it's nights like this that i think about..a pure and simple time..'  

as a young'un i love hearing about this stuff.  will do what i can to keep the spirit alive!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Yep , I sure do remember those days!
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
You guys are lucky, all I knew and did was shoot, I hardly knew anything about archery including Mr.Bear and all the other guys, I didn't really get to hunt until 1996, that's right, 1996 ( this is excluding rats and pigeons ) and I ended up spining my first doe with my Ben Pearson, made the mistake of going out and buying a wheelie bow to avoid this happening again, and that worked very well but really got boring, so I switched back to Trad. and have never looked back, but I have missed so much that now I am trying to make up for lost time, and having a blast.

Go ahead Charlie, rub it in why don't ya.   :laughing:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
I can remember before they had a special archery season. There weren't any (or hardly any) deer in the lower peninsula. Everybody headed up to the U.P. School didn't close for opening day, but it was an automatically excused absence.

Cars were lined up for miles at Sault Ste Marie for the ferry boat (these were pre-Macinac bridge days), with guys walking back and forth from car to car swapping lies about last year and trying to stay awake.

Good memories   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
The old hardware store just had a certain smell to it that I'll never forget. And like mentioned earlier the Pearson glass bows were what we learned to shoot rabbits and Robins with!

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Grew up NJ started shooitng in 1969 - and started hunting in 1972.   I rememnber hunting archery season in NJ and only seeing 1 or 2 guys on public land!   I thoguht I was in heaven - no tree stands so I learned to hunt on the ground and still do.  I do miss still hunitng now becasue the woods get crowded.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
When I started out it was quail hunting. Riding in the back seat with the bird dogs to my grandmothers farm. Corn cribs, hay lofts, cold trips to the out house, no running water, milking cows and the whole family sitting in front of the fire place staring at the flames for night time entertainment.

Cold lanolin floors in the winter and every bedroom had a fire place. Lights on the ceiling had a string tied to the pull chain.

When we moved to a part of the state that had deer, I got my first big game bow at a White's Hardware. Stood in the crotch of a limb for about 4hrs.

Never will forget the first shot I took at a deer. Big old doe stepped out in a firebreak at Ft. Stewart, Ga. I drew my old 48lbs Cheetah Supreme back and sent a Bear Broadhead on it's way. When it hit the dirt about half way to her..I still remember the sinking  feeling..like.."This ain't goin to be as easy as I thought." She was probably was a good 45 to 50yds..but sure did look big. I don't even think she knew I shot at her..just walked on off.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Every bowhunter in my neck of the woods was a "Two season hunter", bow season started the first Sat in Oct and everybody was out. As the season progressed hunter numbers dwindled, (and not because they were tagged out). Rut. What rut? Whole less lot knowledge that's for sure.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
I remember what a big deal it was when they allowed does to be hunted.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
Grew up in NJ back in the fifties we could hunt non stop from property to property never had anyone say we were trespassing,a simple way of life that everyone accepted and if you were lucky and killed a pheasant,rabbit,or squirrel you offered the land owner some to thank him for letting you hunt.I remember my first hunting bow a York lemonwood long bow always marveled at the flight of the arrow because the bow was soooo slow the arrow always had a graceful arch.The fever really hit when I saw Howard Hill put a demonstration on in Bambergers department store in Newark NJ haven't been the same since and I'm 72 Great times in our history and my life My dad was a master machinist by profession and he made his own fletching gigs and tapering tools etc we made our own equipment and one of my jobs was to go to local butcher shop when they were killing holiday turkeys and pick the wing feathers when they were hand plucking,these were the old bronze turkeys and were as good as our wild turkey feathers.Whoa what memories come flooding back, miss those good old days, life was fun and easier technology stinks.

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
White tube socks from kmart with the elastic worn out that always worked down to my toes in 5 minutes of walking. Mossberg shotgun from the local hardware store bought for $90 earned by selling my beagle pups. (i thought we were just going for pipe fittings) First bow was my dad's old 56lb Pearson recurve, all types of arrows and no two the same! no shooting glove or arm guard, no instruction, hay bale target, wore the finish off the aluminum shafts, only 2 broadheads for hunting season sharpened into odd shapes, rubber boots with no insulation for hunting in the snow or trout fishing with water pouring in the tops, CCI stinger 22 ammo (just for looking at in the store because "thats stuff isn't accurate")

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
I can remember the first time i saw a tree stand, I was in awe. [I think it was a baker?]  Back then we would just climb a tree like a kid and stand on a limb. Now some days it's a chore to climb the stairs. American Sportsman was the best.

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
4 men in the front of a single cab pickup, pump it to get it started and keep pumping! No seat belts, a new set of bias ply tires on the back of the truck for winter, putting wet gloves under the truck heater to dry them,  cars that needed the new  unleaded gas, Penn state football on AM radio, My first open face spinning reel, unkle mikes salmon eggs, hearing the term "Ultra light" spinning rod. Seeing and hearing pheasants everywhere! Making horrible noises with a turkey mouth call, Sneaking after rabbits, but making sure the rabbit had a backstop in case of a miss to save the arrow. Doing battle with groundhogs that seemed to soak up arrows like a cape buffalo. Shooting pigeons off the barn roof with the bow and never hitting the tin,  Knowing there would be no replacement when the 56lb Ben Pearson recurve limb let go the day before the deer season opened. Being the first to go to our camp in the early fall to hunt deer with a bow!!!!! "you don't go to the mountains and scare up deer before rifle season, thats just dumb!"
Hoppes #9, listening to outrageous claims of performance of the 7mm Rem mag,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©